Jolida 302 - Blown Tube/Fuse - Advice Needed
Jun 23, 2005 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
My used Jolida 302B, which I bought last fall, has blown its first tube or fuse, or possibly both. The tubes were all rolled after the purchase with the help of Jon at the Tube Store
cool.gif
. Ironically, I was thinking of rebiasing the tubes this weekend, when after about ten minutes of listening tonight, my wife jumped up and yelled from the couch. As I was looking away ath the time, I did not see what she described as a bright yellow light coming from one of the tubes. I heard one of the speakers lose sound and start buzzing so I immediately turned off the amp. Total time - less than 3 seconds! It appears that the amp blew the fuse so I am not able to do much until I purchase another one. I plan on talking with the dealer who sold me the unit, and I will probably give Jon at the Tube Store a call as well. I realize these things happen so I am not upset or angry, just looking to correct the situation, and most importantly, protect my speakers from damage. Any additional advice or cautions from my fellow bottleheads would be greatly appreciated since this is my first time dealing with this type of problem.

Thanks,

--Ken

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 3
Jun 28, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi Ken,

Well, it sounds like you just got a bad tube. It happens! Unfortunately, with tubes you get some scares before they go out! You were good to shut it down quickly. And it sounds like the amp, as a whole, is functioning correctly by blowing the fuse. I imagine as the tube started dying it began sucking current which blew the fuse.

OK, so as I read up on your 302B, it says you have four pairs of tubes: two pair are 6CA7/EL34 output tubes, one pair of 12AT7 power drive tubes, and one pair of 12AX7 preamp tubes. You will need to know which one went out when you describe this to Jon at The Tube Store. I don't believe you'll need to get a hold of your dealer unless this happens with every tube you put in there. And with Jolida, you'll likely never get to that point. It's good stuff!

Depending on what kind of tube you have in there (new stock, NOS (New Old Stock)) may or may not have something to do with it. I don't believe, however, that NOS tubes have any less reliability than new stock. And in fact they can often command a much higher price somply because they are no longer made (and sound fantastic!!!). Pity.

So the first thing I would do would be to call Jon at The Tube Store and tell him the situation. Check what the warrantee is for their tubes. If they were a matched set then both tubes will need to be replaced (just a reminder). Get a new set and give them a try. If it happens again (HIGHLY unlikely), you will want to have a chat with the dealer. Tubes can make you gun shy when they freak out like that and act like they're gonna eat your speakers. It's a scary thing, man!

Next, you'll want to contact either the dealer or Jolida to find out how to get a new fuse in there. I imagine they are user-repalceable, but check FIRST. Things like that can void warrantees all over, so check first. In my own case, I had to replace a huge fuse on a six channel Classe amplifier that gave me a loud snap and flash as I turned it on. The fuse, come to find out, was available at Home Depot. Pretty cool. I wish you the same luck.

And do follow Capt. Zs advice and hang out a bit at the audioasylum tube forum, but watch out for trolls over there.

If you find no answers, head on over to the Bottlehead company forum. Some truly fantastic people there, with lots of knowledge. Now, they focus mostly on Bottlehead products, but they might be able to help.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bottlehead/bbs.html

If you have any other Qs, shoot me a pm. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back