joining the cd3k gang
May 29, 2003 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
i just sold off my hd-600s and bought myself a cd3k.

it arrived today.

the case is beautiful.

the headphone is beautiful. i think it actually looks quite good on me (it makes my head look a little smaller, haha) and it's a lot more comfortable than the hd-600, imo.

i plugged it in, at first i was stunned by the soundstage but did not give more than half a minute of listening, but instead gave it about 7 hours of burn in. from that short initial audition i couldn't make out much about the sound but i remember being really impressed with the soundstage...

now, here i am, listenining to it after seven hours of break-in.

wow.

wow.

at first it seemed a little colored since my ears were used to the sennheiser color. but after two songs... oh my gosh. amazing detail that is so natural that it is not fatiguing at all even though there's so much of it... soundstage that actually projects imaging up front instead of in my head like most other phones... wow. wow.

and the headphone actually doesn't feel like it's on my head, but instead i feel like i'm in a concert hall. so amazing...

i think i know what you guys all mean when you actually listen to the music now, not the headphones... wow.

aah i need to sleep but i don't think i can for a while...

May 29, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 33
Doobooloo,

Welcome to the gang! I love my CD3K. Keep us posted on your impression. Congratulations!

Purk

P.S.
Could you send me a p.m. regarding my Meta42 amp. I want to know the spec.

May 29, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 33
Sounds like heaven on a June day. I wish I could buy them. Are you sure you're not getting a check in the mail from Sony? Wouldn't it be great if Sony made an offer of a free pair of CD3000s to every Head-fi member who reviews them very positively? It sounds like everything I've been missing in my HD600s. I wonder if any of the local Hifi stores have them to listen to.

Unfortunately they are around the same price as the MH CD25 CDP that I drool over every night before I fall asleep, and I will need to have a complete home system soon because my house should be finished by next winter. I can't wait to attach my Mordaunt-Short MS30s to something worthy of them. Otherwise I am desperately longing for the 3000s and wish I had bought those instead of my Senns. Not that I dislike my Senns. Actually I love them and would never sell them.

After they're fully broken in, how about posting a really detailed review with many different kinds of music and directly A/B the Senns with the 3000s? That would be great.

May 29, 2003 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 33
Are the 3000's a closed back design? If they are how well do they isolate? I've never been very happy with closed back headphones but am willing to continue looking.
Thanks,
dB

May 29, 2003 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 33
Congrats doobooloo....after selling my CD3Ks here a few weeks ago in a system purge and then missing them like heck...I just re-joined Team Sony with a new pair of them yesterday.

They are on hour 20 and like one of my buddies here is fond of saying...these babies do just about everything right.

ahhhhhh...that big gray sweetness.....mmmmm..

John

May 29, 2003 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
...I just re-joined Team Sony with a new pair of them yesterday.

I just knew you weren't going to last.
evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2003 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
I just knew you weren't going to last.
evil_smiley.gif

Busted.....as another friend said...he could have set his watch by it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

John

May 29, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 33
doobooloo
HI: How are you? congrats on your new CD3000. Well the bucks stops here for me anyway. LOL. The CD3000 are a concert hall on your head.
biggrin.gif
I am just amazed by them and can even use them in my minidisc with the super mini amp V6. I really like the sound stage. Now if you would like to go a little further try the X-feed with them. The X-feed gives the CD3000 a even bigger sound stage and mellows out the sound fore long listening time and only cost me 60.00. A great deal I think. Its really bothers me to think that after all the headphones that I bought and went though that all I had to do was buy the CD3000 and my hunt for a headphone would have stopped right there. Again congrats and enjoy the CD3000.
PS
Isn't it great that almost any source is OK to use with the CD3000?

May 29, 2003 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 33
Congrats. they are quite a change from the HD600 aren't they. Good news about the CD3Ks is that they just keep getting better the more you listen. Enjoy!

Mark

May 29, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 33
Hey Markl, you owned the CD 3000s and currently own the R 10s. I have never heard the CD 3000s, but based on discriptions I have read on headfi the last couple of months they seem like a hell of a headphone. Couple of questions. Are they easier to pair with an amp than the R 10s? Would you say they are a better headphone for rock/pop than the R 10s? My experience so far, the R 10s have a midrange and soundstage to die for (out of a headphone anyway) and they have decent base, especially drums. However, I'm not so sure the treble energy, although good, is as good as some other phones out there. What do you think?

May 29, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 33
I'm sorry to say I'll be gone from team Cd-3000 for awhile since I had to sell mine to finance my upgrade. But dave-the-rave bought them so I guess the membership never really go's down. Congrats on your purchase, you've made a good choice.

May 29, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 33
congrats on the cd3000 ,

they are excellent pair of phones and you wont get any better for the price ($379).

i have the cd3000 and i am enjoying every moment of it but i need to only keep one pair of headphones - i did choose the HP-1 so i am selling my cd3000.

if anyone wants em - it is in the for sale forum.

May 29, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 33
ok... now with about 20 hours of burn in...

i found the word that describes these cans the best - invisible.

i can't help but to be immersed in the music... not concentrate on how it's presented but rather be soothed by the presentation itself...

and even comfort... aah... it's like there but not really. so amazing.

wow. these are so clearly worth the 0.4 grand...
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 33
Congratulations for not having a head as big as mine. I couldn't wear it for more than half an hour. They didn't wow me (although I thought they were excellent), but invisible could be right... They just get on with the job of producing quality music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back