Joining Team Grado -- spring for the SR80 or save money with the SR60?
Sep 10, 2007 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

jersey_emt

100+ Head-Fier
My first foray into quality headphones was the closed Audio-Technica ATH-D40 years ago. When I bought my first MP3 player, I bought Shure E2c's -- my first IEM. I very recently went all out and upgraded my E2c's to the E500's.

However, my ATH-D40 has been broken for quite some time now (at least a year or two), and I want to get another full-size headphone. I want something completely different than my E500's, so I thought Grados would be a perfect fit.

I've never heard a Grado headphone before, so I don't want to go directly to the SR225 or SR325i (or hell, the RS2 or RS1). Who knows -- I may be one of the people that don't like the Grado sound signature (which, as per the general consensus here, if I don't like the Grado sound I should kill myself! lol) -- so I'm only looking at the SR60 / SR80.

I have no headphone amp at the moment, and listen directly out of my Trekstor Vibez 12GB, Zen Micro 5GB, Macbook internal sound card, or Macbook with my Edirol FA-66 FireWire audio interface. However, I will be purchasing a portable headphone amp in the ~$200 range as a Christmas present to myself -- most likely either the Meier Corda Move or the iBasso D1.

So what do I get? Do I save twenty bucks and just get the SR60? Or is the SR80 a better choice? I'm not worried about the cost of either, so if the SR80 is better, I will go with that. I only ask because after searching and reading through dozens of threads, it seems like there is a not-insignificant number of people who prefer the SR60 over the SR80.

I'm buying one or the other on my lunch break tomorrow -- I work three blocks away from B&H in Manhattan -- so quick responses are appreciated. I'll be going with the SR80's unless you guys can convince me otherwise
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 39
I was in the same situation as you are. I've decided to buy the SR-60 and i'm not regret at all. Some may say that you can get almost the same (if not the same) sound quality of the SR-80 with bowl pads on a SR-60. I bought a SR-60 and later bolws for $15 more. So i've spent around $85 and have both comfy and bolw pads. Totally pleased with my choice.

Some people will suggest the SR-80, but for me the SR-60 is the best performance for the buck between the two ...

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 39
I tried the 60, 125, 225, and the old 325, and I could NOT hear any diffferences. BTW, I was using my "free" mp3 player. Besides, it only differs slightly, IMO, to the Senn580. If u have better ears, and/or higher end systems, also audiophile music, maybe they 're worth it.

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 39
I haven't tried SR-60 or SR-80. But from the threads I read both are almost the same but SR-80 has little more bass then SR-60.

BH doesn't allow you to try them, but you can either go to Sound by Singer in 18th street or to JR and try them and better decide which will be a better choice.

I went to Sound by singer to try grados they have all the headphones from SR-60 to RS-1. Also they will allow you to bring your own source. If not they have good collection of CD's and an ARCAM CD player.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 39
I'd go for the Sr80 if you want a warmer, bassier and puncher sound.

MS1 for more analytical, less punchy and not as warm.

Now granted....its all still a Grado sound.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 39
I've owned the SR-60s and SR-80s and sold the 60s. Besides, the bowl pads of the SR-80s will give you a better idea about what the Grado sound is all about since all of the higher-end Grados use bowl pads.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 39
I personally can't stand bowl pads either. And with the bowl pads on the SR60, I couldn't tell the difference between that and the SR80. I suggest getting the SR60s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back