Joining Team "Baby Orpheus"! [56k beware]
Apr 14, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #76 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can any HE60 owners comment on the bass quality, extension, and detail? I'm especially interested in the extension. I've heard many reports saying it rolls off and some saying it has excellent extension. Thanks.

Extension is very good, quality is a shade bellow that of the Omega II, tactility is about as good as stats get provided the amp is up to snuff, but there is a rolloff bellow starting around 50Hz and it's quite audible.

This suggests that the diaphragm is quite tight in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the bass really does roll off starting at 80Hz, there is a large chunk of information missing from even classical music.
confused.gif

The graphs (and my ears back this up) put the rolloff as starting at ~50Hz, not 80Hz. The slope is quite steep however.

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #77 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of the timbre of real life instruments do you think is captured accurately by the HE60, especially in terms of the SR-404? The jump from the latter to the former is quite large, and I've been curious about electrostatic headphones for some time. I'm curious about classical/orchestral/strings/violin in particular.
wink.gif

If the bass really does roll off starting at 80Hz, there is a large chunk of information missing from even classical music.
confused.gif

I'll be absolutely frank: The SR-404 is at least 90% of the HE60. If you're just dipping your toes in the pool, I would suggest you start of with the much cheaper SR-404. The HE60 and the SR-404 sound sufficiently different for one to pick one from the other purely on the basis of personal taste and not technical merit. It took me a while to get accustomed to the HE60's more intimate sound. I can completely understand why some might even choose the SR-404 over the HE60 purely because of that. The SR-404 has a more airy soundstage. Instruments appear to be sounding from slightly further away. However, the imaging is really not as sharp. I can pick out with more precision the location of the instruments on the HE60 whereas the SR-404 just presents them as a sound coming from roughly so far away. You may enjoy the more diffuse sounding SR-404 depending on the music at the expense of very accurate timbre.

So I've kinda avoided your initial question
wink.gif
Not for long though. Along with bringing the source of sound closer to the listener and imaging more precisely, the HE60 also resolves much finer details. Instruments just sound that much more realistic than when played through the SR-404. The final product is subtly different, but to me, it's worth just that much more money. I'd be perfectly happy just listening to my SR-404, but why not go the extra mile for even more realistic sound reproduction if the wallet allows?

Now the violin's sound is unique in a way that it is very complex. There are lots of harmonics and due to the way the sound is produced (friction between horse hair and metal string aided by tree sap/rosin), you don't get a pure tone. There is a lot of "distortion", "coarseness" and a healthy portion of "imperfections". The violin simply doesn't sound as perfect as some might think. These imperfections are most evident when listening to solo violin music, where the microphone is usually placed closer to the performer. It is also these imperfections that give each violin its own unique tone. Hence, solo violin is a good test for micro-detail resolution and overall tone quality accuracy.

In more "diplomatic" terms, the SR-404 is smoother sounding (might be an illusion from the relative lack of details). Compared to the HE60, everything is covered in a layer of golden syrup. It's tastes wonderful, but you never get to really feel the texture of the underlying pastry. The HE60 takes away a lot of the golden syrup and replaces it with a fine layer of icing sugar. It's not as smooth, but the micro details are now much more apparent. It's really something that has to be heard to be believed.

Having said that, the SR-404 is tremendously detailed as it is. What really handicaps the SR-404 in terms of timbre is the upper midrange thinness. Some call it colouration, but either way it is something that can't be unheard once you hear it
frown.gif
On certain orchestral tracks, the violins sound unnaturally thin. Again, it's a subtle difference, but it becomes not so subtle when you have some other "reference" to compare it against (my own violin, my own experience from live performances and other transducers).

I quite like how small to medium chamber music and solo violin sounds on the HE60 (eg Bach Partitas, Paganini Caprices, Ysaye Violin Sonatas, Mendelssohn & Schubert Octets, Brandenburg Concertos, etc...). If you're a big soundstage person, then try the SR-404 first. You won't be missing out on that much. If only the HE60 had a larger soundstage, it would be the perfect classical music all-rounder headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Extension is very good, quality is a shade bellow that of the Omega II, tactility is about as good as stats get provided the amp is up to snuff, but there is a rolloff bellow starting around 50Hz and it's quite audible.

The graphs (and my ears back this up) put the rolloff as starting at ~50Hz, not 80Hz. The slope is quite steep however.

The SR-404 does have slightly better bass extension than the HE60. There's some organ music that uses the 32' pipe in a few very exposed bits. The SR-404 clearly has more of a reverberation/resonating effect. I know for a fact that the track is a good test for bass extension because I used it to audition quite a few speakers and the whole room rumbles when those 32' pipes are played.

Track can be downloaded here: http://rapidshare.com/files/23753831..._in_C_mino.mp3

Tactility is pretty darn impressive for an electrostat. It sounds very "dynamic-like" to me, only with superb control. What sort of qualities are you talking about?

I'll do more listening to figure out for myself where the roll-off begins. They can definitely reproduce low double digit Hz, but most probably at a decreased amplitude as pointed out by many already.

I don't feel the HE60 is really lacking any frequencies. Music still sounds like music in a realistic manner.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #78 of 100
Quote:

Carl, can you comment on the bass extension of the HE90?

thanks,

Neil

edit - I know you have certain issues with the bass reproduction of the HE90 along with the headphones overall diffuse nature. Can you elaborate on the bass presentation?

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #79 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carl, can you comment on the bass extension of the HE90?

thanks,

Neil

Only based on what I've seen in graphs. I think there is only one HE90 in this entire country and it ain't mine. I may get an HE90 someday, but current prices are too high in my opinion.

As for the HE60, I don't have issue with the diffuse effect like Spritzer does, but I do notice it. If I'm in the mood for a different presentation I'll just change headphones. The effect is less apparent with indirectly heated tubes than solid state due to their respective imaging, so I doubt most HEV90-or-similar users will find it especially apparent.

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #80 of 100
Quote:

I think it is a combination of a highly tensioned diaphragm and small stator spacing. The 0.5mm Stax uses is about 30% excessive so Sennheiser might have used a smaller spacer.

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #81 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks J-Pak and abs!

I still have a lot to learn. J-Pak (and abs if you want to make the trip), you are more than welcome to try out the pair of HE60s I have at some point when we have the next NE meet. I actually just ordered the headamp KGSS. It was a very hard decision considering I have only heard the HE60 with the HEV70 and SRD-7 Pro. I was torn between the Woo and KGSS but in the end went with the KGSS mainly because it seems to be more established.

Did you find the SRD-7 Pro a step up from the HEV70? Also, which amp did you use to drive the the SRD? I ask because I am in the same boat at this point. I have the HEV70, just received a SRD-7 Pro, and am waiting for my HE60s to be delivered this morning to try it all out. They were at Alex's getting checked/cleaned out (full. of. dust.) and a Stax plug termination.

At this point, I'm just saving/selling for a KGSS as well so will be very interested in your impresssions. Hmmm, I hope I'll have pulled the trigger before yours is built/delivered.

Oh, what is the max watts per channel recommended for the SRD-7 Pro?

NE Meet? When is the next New England Meet by the way?

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #82 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is a combination of a highly tensioned diaphragm and small stator spacing. The 0.5mm Stax uses is about 30% excessive so Sennheiser might have used a smaller spacer.

Given the 540v bias I'd imagine that it'd be less than Stax uses, yeah. I can't think of an instance where the HE60s have arced on me, though, even in situations where I had the volume at naughty levels, so it doesn't seem like they pushed things too far in that respect.

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #84 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any advantages for using a highly tensioned diaphragm?

It increases bass extention, control, tightness, and impact per volume.
It reduces bass volume.

The skill is finding the right balance so that you have nice bass. Too far in either direction is a bad thing.

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #85 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any advantages for using a highly tensioned diaphragm?

Like Carl said it's all about the middle ground. Finding the perfect balance

Quote:

Given the 540v bias I'd imagine that it'd be less than Stax uses, yeah. I can't think of an instance where the HE60s have arced on me, though, even in situations where I had the volume at naughty levels, so it doesn't seem like they pushed things too far in that respect.

For 540v you need at least a spacing off 0.27432mm for them not to arc. This is at full volume so anything more then that it is nearly impossible to arc them. That is unless you use a transformer without a triac or something similar so the stator voltage can be more then double the bias voltage. The New SR-3's I'm repairing now had a huge hole in the diaphragm caused by overdriving them. There was nothing to protect the driver.

Due remember that electrostatic force increases by the square of the distance so small variations can change a lot even though they don't arc. Arcing is the end stage of a phenomenon that begins earlier inside the driver when the diaphragm goes out of control.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #86 of 100
Thanks for the in-depth analysis and comparison with the SR-404, milkpowder. If I decide to go the electrostatic route, I think you just saved me a lot of money.
icon10.gif
I'm a bit wary of the upper midrange thinness, however. That part of the frequency spectrum is an AKG strong suit, so I will probably either enjoy or ... not enjoy its different sound. Another of AKG's strong suits is soundstage and a sense of the room in which the recording was made, so I've actually been looking for a headphone that brings me up close with great microdetail. Perhaps something like an SR-X MkIII would suit me. Indeed, I asked you because I know you have a lot of experience with the sound of a good violin, and the fact that you took the electrostatic route has been a major interest arouser for me.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #87 of 100
Not a problem at all. I've just been listening again (surprise!
wink.gif
) and I've concluded that the HE60 are really significantly better than the SR-404. I really do miss the soundstage of the SR-404 whenever I'm listening to the HE60, but my word is the HE60 more defined. I say this with a completely with a straight face: the SR-404 sound muddy and undefined compared to the HE60. I was just comparing a specific passage in a Shostakovich Jazz Suite involving some brass (think they were trumpets). The HE60 made the trumpets sound like trumpets. The SR-404 just didn't measure up. As much as I'd love for you to buy my SR-404 since I'm looking to sell them atm, the truth remains that you would be doing your ears serious injustice by going for them. I'd be doing your ears injustice
tongue.gif

Bottom line: HE60 is better. The only reason why you would want to get the SR-404 is because of the more laid-back presentation. I'm beginning to feel that they really are worth paying extra for
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just a question for everyone: what do microphonic tubes sound like? I sometimes hear an odd high pitched sound coming from my amp even when the interconnects aren't plugged in. After a while, it goes away, then when I plug in the cables, the sound comes back. That said, it is quite minor.

EDIT: problem seems to have gone away
confused.gif

EDIT2: The SR-404 are terrific 'phones. It's just when you compare it to a great headphone that you notice its flaws.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #88 of 100
Quote:

Only based on what I've seen in graphs. I think there is only one HE90 in this entire country and it ain't mine. I may get an HE90 someday, but current prices are too high in my opinion.

As for the HE60, I don't have issue with the diffuse effect like Spritzer does, but I do notice it. If I'm in the mood for a different presentation I'll just change headphones. The effect is less apparent with indirectly heated tubes than solid state due to their respective imaging, so I doubt most HEV90-or-similar users will find it especially apparent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ahh yes... my bad. For some reason I confused what Spritzer said with what Carl said. Anyway, so my question is directed to Spritzer who DOES have an HE90.

Spritzer, can you elaborate on your issues with the HE90 bass? I know you've talked about the headphones overall diffuse nature and that you wished some sort of diffusion circuit was included to be turned on or off to taste, but also, you mention how the HE90 bass is somewhat lacking... Please elaborate on this as well as your thoughts on its bass extension.

Thanks,
Neil

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #89 of 100
Fair enough, now I know to avoid the SR-404.
tongue.gif
And the qualities you mention in the HE60 are exactly what I'm looking for: intimate, up-front detailed presentation with the ability to portray real instruments as they sound in real life. But it's in a price category I think I will never reach, so it's time to research some vintage Stax models.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #90 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh yes... my bad. For some reason I confused what Spritzer said with what Carl said. Anyway, so my question is directed to Spritzer who DOES have an HE90.

Spritzer, can you elaborate on your issues with the HE90 bass? I know you've talked about the headphones overall diffuse nature and that you wished some sort of diffusion circuit was included to be turned on or off to taste, but also, you mention how the HE90 bass is somewhat lacking... Please elaborate on this as well as your thoughts on its bass extension.

Thanks,
Neil

They are rolled off pretty high up but I can deal with that. I like flat, dry bass with zero overhang and it's ok if it misses the last octave or two. My main issue is that large portions of bass information are missing. It's not always obvious but tracks with lots of subtle but deep bass are horrible to listen to. The He90 just skips over it and carries on like there was nothing there. It does this on every amp I've tried and no system tweaking has managed to fix it. Cables and tubes can add artificial fullness and warmth to the bass but I can't live with it. If I could I'd buy dynamics...
biggrin.gif

The bottom line is that I never reach for the He90 when I want to listen to something. It is always a conscious decision "I haven't used them in awhile" rather then an impulse. It's sad not to use them but I'd much rather use an original SR-Lambda any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back