Joining AV-710 Camp
Sep 2, 2004 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Next week I am ordering a new computer for myself, and I decided to throw an AV-710 into the heap. I will give my thoughts on it and how it compares to the Transit USB as well. I look forward to giving it a try.

BTW how does this card do in gaming (2.1, not 5.1 I can't the speakers around my desk
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Scott

Sep 2, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 14
The only downside of switching between Hi Quality setting and Sensaura is that you have to REBOOT between them!!
frown.gif
So I don't even bother setting it in Sensaura setting...
tongue.gif
Besides that, it's fine.

Sep 2, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by proxops-pete
The only downside of switching between Hi Quality setting and Sensaura is that you have to REBOOT between them!!
frown.gif
So I don't even bother setting it in Sensaura setting...
tongue.gif
Besides that, it's fine.

Which begs the question what is "Sensaura" mode?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
From what I can tell, Sensaura is software-based 3D support that Chaintech (and even cards like the Prodigy) uses?

Ahh thanks....doesn't sound liek ti'd be worth a reboot to use. As long as it has good stereo output it'll do.

Scott

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

It's for gaming mainly; you don't need it if you don't game.

I do game, one of the reasons I am getting a new box. We'll see what happens when I get it. Was just curious how it faired as a gaming sound card (2 channel).

Scott

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
I do game, one of the reasons I am getting a new box. We'll see what happens when I get it. Was just curious how it faired as a gaming sound card (2 channel).

Scott

I've used it with my A500s (using the high quality output) and it sounds pretty good in Doom 3. I compared it to my nforce onboard sound and I can't tell much difference in games, unlike music, which is night and day. There is a little more range but the positioning is about the same.

It does tax my AMD XP3200+ somewhat, using 15-25%. My onboard sound uses less than 1% of the CPU so I switch to it for gaming.

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 14
The reason that nForce 1 & 2 motherboards have such low CPU usage is because they have an onboard audio processor (like the Audigy's) to do all the mixing and stuff. The nForce 3, all Via chipsets, and all Intel chipsets lack any hardware audio processing so the CPU usage would be about the same for both.

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 14
I am stoked my AV-710 should be arriving Monday ... along with parts for my new home PC.

Scott

Sep 12, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 14
My AV710 is also arriving Monday, free 2nd day UPS from zipzoomfly.com

Re Sensura: I game competitively, and I would not touch any sort of software 3d "enhancer". I demand pure stereo.

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes
My AV710 is also arriving Monday, free 2nd day UPS from zipzoomfly.com

Re Sensura: I game competitively, and I would not touch any sort of software 3d "enhancer". I demand pure stereo.

I would imagine any kind of enhancer COULD throw of positioning, stereo is good enough for me (cept in my home theater).

Picked up Halo and Battlefield 1942 last night, it's been a while since I have gamed. I've been playing Halo at afriends house and having lots of fun, looking forward Halo 2.

Scott

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The reason that nForce 1 & 2 motherboards have such low CPU usage is because they have an onboard audio processor (like the Audigy's) to do all the mixing and stuff. The nForce 3, all Via chipsets, and all Intel chipsets lack any hardware audio processing so the CPU usage would be about the same for both.

Mr.Radar knows what he's talking about.

Quote:

It's for gaming mainly; you don't need it if you don't game.

Actually, I would think that if his hardware isn't up to snuff, the Chaintech would be a rather poor choice for gaming, considering all it does is throw more and more work over to the CPU for processing of environment effects and whatnot. If the only use of the card is for gaming, a soundcard with a stronger audio processor like those found in the Audigy series would probably suit him better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back