John Sunier's biophonic headphone curve
Aug 15, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Uhm, do you have a link, or do you have to be an expert on the topic to answer this?

You can take a look at the following page: http://headwize2.powerpill.org/articles/sunier1_art.htm

MarGan

Aug 16, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 6
I duplicated the curve pretty closely with a parametric eq and some HD600s, and it was not an improvement. otoh I don't seem to have the problems that they are trying to fix. I hear the musicians spread out nicely from the left side to the right, and somehow the fact that the whole stage is inside my head does not bother me at all. It could have something to do with all of the empty space in there
wink.gif

It might work better for someone new to headphones, though.

gerG

Aug 17, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, part of the reason you didnt notice an improvement is that most high end headphones already follow that curve to some degree. Look at the Senn. HD 600, AKG K501, and Beyer DT 770 response graphs at headroom's site and you can see similarities, especially notable is the dip at 7.5 khz and the shape of the curve in the upper frequencies.

Aug 17, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 6
I think that you are correct, but I don't find any of that particular curve in the behavior of my Sens. White curve is the baseline response (on my head) blue is with the normal equalization that I run (also on my head) and yellow is the uncoupled response.

HD600%20response.jpg

What I have found (I think) is that many headphone manufacturers artfully mix in diffused backside emissions from the driver to give a sense of spaciousness. I would guess that they also tailor the response to bolster the effect (and others).

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back