John Petrucci's (of Dream Theater) custom IEMs identified
Feb 4, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #16 of 22
I don't get it - why do celebrities settle with the lower end of UE-customs? Seems like they always have UE-5 or UE-7, I mean it's not like they can't afford getting a set of UE-10s as well just to see the difference

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 22
I'm not a huge fan of Paul Northfields work with Rush and Queensryche. IMHO the albums he did with them sound very compressed, and lack dynamics and separation from instrument to instrument. I dont know how 3 musicians (Rush) can sound so congested, unrefined and "mushed together". But every time I hear Vapor Trails and Signals I want to vomit, because the tunes are very good IMHO.

IMHO Syst chaos follows the same formula... although not as bad as Rush's VT.

I may be in the minority but IMHO their best recordings are I&W and Awake.

DT are basically gear-whores... they'll endorse pretty much whatever they think sounds good, performs reliably on the road and pays top $$$ to the endorsee. So for John its been Ibanez/EBMM and Mesa amps. In the early days he played BC Rich and Randall, although that was before they were signed.

heres a vid...
YouTube - Majesty-John Petrucci,Mike Portnoy & John Myung

Jordan:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...8_200_full.jpg

JM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...8_246_full.jpg

JP
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...8_247_full.jpg

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But Northfield is a great mixer and did not do "Vapor Trails" by the way.

Oh, didn't he?

And if you don't believe Wikipedia, I can take a picture of the back of the album where it says: "Produced by Rush and Paul Northfield."

I'm just glad they kept him away from Snakes and Arrows.

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

But Northfield is a great mixer and did not do "Vapor Trails" by the way.

Well indeed he recorded it, and produced it...

Man use another as an example, that guy is fried, if Paul Northfield was the man behind Vapor Trails, this guy is really really bad, and with no remorse I can tell you that Vapor Trails is the worst master I have heard of any Rush album ever, hope they realize that, and remaster it soon!!!! I also have all Rush albums...it is a real shame, they killed the tunes there....

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #20 of 22
Mea culpa
frown.gif

I meant Paul didn't do "Snakes and Ladders"

I'm over 50. Album titles start to go about then.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Mea culpa
frown.gif

I meant Paul didn't do "Snakes and Ladders"

I'm over 50. Album titles start to go about then.....
smily_headphones1.gif

What is funny is that the results are really random, he has good albums there in the wikipedia list, and some horrible ones:

Making Magic, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, A show of hands, Hey Stoopid...and maybe some others were good recordings, why an album like Vapor Trails later on or the same SC....I do not get it????
confused.gif

How someone that knows how to do a good work, is able to do a bad one and get away....
confused.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is funny is that the results are really random, he has good albums there in the wikipedia list, and some horrible ones:

Making Magic, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, A show of hands, Hey Stoopid...and maybe some others were good recordings, why an album like Vapor Trails later on or the same SC....I do not get it????
confused.gif

How someone that knows how to do a good work, is able to do a bad one and get away....
confused.gif

IMHO he did GREAT work on A Show of Hands... one of my Fave Rush releases ever. Great tunes and good mastering too, by one of my favorite bands.

Hey... I didn't know you were an MOT... I haven't been around in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back