John Mayer is a true Blues Man (Hear me out) Try em on your Headphones!
Feb 16, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again you are saying 'listen to this.' You are missing the point.

I'm not missing the point. I am supporting my points with evidence. I say he's a good songwriter. I suggest songs which support the contention. I say he's a good guitar player, and post a link to a clip of him playing on Letterman. One follows the other. Quote:

As for the song 'Neon.' I didnt get any impression from looking at the tab, I got my impression from taking out my guitar and actually playing the song.

Good. How do you know the tab is accurate? Have you compared it to the recording on "Room For Squares?"

Look, that's not meant as a challenge. It's just another point. I said it's a difficult song to play. If you can really play it cleanly and at the correct tempo after an hour (and you're sure the tab is accurate), then you are an exceptional guitar player. It's not the world's most difficult song (obviously) but it's a considerable challenge for most.

Cheers...

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #77 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Arcuri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not missing the point. I am supporting my points with evidence. I say he's a good songwriter. I suggest songs which support the contention.

You're right. I think I should apologize for my tone on this thread, which I believe had gotten a little out of hand. (Largely due to wanting to balance out Trose's hyperbole and my obviously strong feelings about John Mayer.)

The fact that he is a collar-popper or that he tells offensive jokes doesn't, of course, mean he is a bad musician. Others on here have done a better job of analyzing his music and his interview (which directly related to his music.) My views on him are still the same, but far be it for me to argue away someone's enjoyment of his music.

I'll write it off to a slow Friday. Have a great weekend!

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #78 of 85
Quote:

You're right. I think I should apologize for my tone on this thread, which I believe had gotten a little out of hand.

The feeling is mutual. I'm sorry if I contributed to it. I was a little reluctant to join in largely because it seemed like this thread was going in that direction already. Quote:

(Largely due to wanting to balance out Trose's hyperbole and my obviously strong feelings about John Mayer.)

Trose seems to be just as enthusiastic/hyperbolic about other topics here... probably just his personality. Quote:

The fact that he is a collar-popper or that he tells offensive jokes doesn't, of course, mean he is a bad musician.

The collar-popping thing is a little odd, given the fact that I've never seen him wear a shirt that way before or since the Crossroads performance. Maybe whomever he was dating at the time tried giving him fashion tips.
biggrin.gif
I'm not sure what you're referring to with regards to the offensive jokes. He did a Dave Matthews impression several years ago that was taken out of context (edited to leave out the explanatory comments) and distributed as an mp3 recording that a lot of DMB fans (including me) took offense to. Then I heard the entire thing in context, and thought it was funny and not half as offensive as it had seemed before.

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #79 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is unfortunate is that there was never any need for tension based upon what seemed to be Trose's original intent. I agree with you on this.

well, he did orignally post this in the headphone forum for no good reason, and i think it was in reaction to a point made in the other threads that he started

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #80 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Arcuri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did a Dave Matthews impression several years ago that was taken out of context (edited to leave out the explanatory comments) and distributed as an mp3 recording that a lot of DMB fans (including me) took offense to. Then I heard the entire thing in context, and thought it was funny and not half as offensive as it had seemed before.

I'm quite interested in hearing that mp3 if you have a link to it.

For what it's worth, I do like John Mayer's music. He's not as good a bluesman compared to, say, SRV or as great a guitarist as Hendrix, but he does have soul and I do like how he puts a bluesy spin on his pop compositions. Listen to The Village Sessions, or his jam in Any Given Thursday's 'Covered in Rain' and you'll see that he does have soul and isn't always shredding meaningless notes like in some of his live albums/bootlegs.

As a side note, I don't think technical difficulty has anything to do with how good a blues player someone is. Just listen to BB King et al.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #81 of 85
I got this quote from Kenny Waynes sheppards Camp:

In think it shows just hard hard it is to get Blues music heard and supported by the record companiesd. That is why I was commending Mayer. I think he figured a good formula to kinda "beat the system"

Quote:

"THE REALITY OF THE RECORD BUSINESS---We realize it is difficult in some areas to find 10 DAYS OUT in your local record stores. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer bricks and mortar record stores. It is becoming all about mass merchants where CD's are a sideline and therefore more difficult getting product in the stores. Kenny and management has no control over how that distribution is done.
Here are some suggestions. First, call your local retailers and ask if they have the DVD/CD before you go to the store. If you are unable to locate copies in the stores near you, please send us an email to NOCD@kennywayneshepherd.net. Include in the email the store name and (very important) street address and city. We will make sure Warner Bros is made aware so they can do something about it.
If you can't find a copy near you, order from one of the online stores. Usually you can receive the copy with 48 hours."

CD is Called 10 days Out - Blues from the Backroads
KWS plays with such greats as:
B.B. King
Bryan Lee
Buddy Flett
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
Cootie Stark
Neal "Big Daddy" Pattman
Etta Baker
George "Wild Child" Butler & The Howlin' Wolf Band
Henry Gray & The Howlin' Wolf BandBlues
Henry Townsend
Hubert Sumlin & The Howlin' Wolf Band
Jerry "Boogie" McCain
John Dee Holeman
Neal "Big Daddy" Pattman
Pinetop Perkins & The Howlin' Wolf Band

Oh and Double Trouble on the tracks that were not acoustic!

I know Im off the subject but this CD's a KEEPER!

Even Coltrane
wink.gif
is not going to denounce these Blues Greats. This is where is all started most these performers are now in late 70's to early 90's. And could school everyone! I take that back they DID SCHOOL EVERYONE!
[size=medium]
GREAT CD!

[/size]

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #82 of 85
Is it wrong of me to think that "Daughters" was his best track on the "TRY! Live" album? Honestly John, be true to yourself - you're a girlie crooner, embrace it!

And that's not too hard of a diss. David Cassidy loved the blues too, but his pop start continued to chase him down. He's had some hard knocks, but now he embraces all his fans. Ain't no shame in that.

http://old.heraldextra.com/modules.p...icle&sid=33364

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #84 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it wrong of me to think that "Daughters" was his best track on the "TRY! Live" album? Honestly John, be true to yourself - you're a girlie crooner, embrace it!

I think it's the worst track on TRY!. The best, in my opinion, is "Try," though it wouldn't make a great studio track. It's one of those that works best in a live performance. The best track on TRY! that might work as a studio release is "Another Kind of Green."

For the person who requested a link to the mp3 of Mayer doing a Dave Matthews impression -- I don't know where to find one now, and any you're likely to find online will be the short clip lacking the lead-in/explanation. I'll dig through my early Mayer recordings to see if I can find it, and post a link if I do.

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #85 of 85
Quote:

I am a big KWS hater as well, but that disc is PHENOMENAL. Sounds fantastic, and the playing is beautiful throughout. Highly recommended.

Oh, and DMB sucks too
evil_smiley.gif

DMB? OH Dave Mathews Band! (I'm not a fan so we agree on that!)

Coltrane I thought the DVD was also very educational to the "blues challenged"/

I agree that you just cant fault the playing on that cd. KWS is not the snoty teen phenom that he seemed to be and seemed humbled in the presence of these great blues artists.

It's like anything your game steps up to the level of people your playing with just by human nature. I play golf much better when I play with better players for example. Jordan's Bulls played at a higher level because of his abilities.

I kinda feel that way with this CD. KWS not showing off at all just fitting into the groove and it's quite a perfect fit and great job on his part.

I love the track "Tina Marie" with Brian Lee. They did it on Leno last week and what a great performance by all!

See we can agree on somethings. It's OK!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back