John Leckie compilation?
Nov 22, 2006 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bong

Headphoneus Supremus
so about a month ago a friend and i were taking a long road trip, listening to our CDs along the way. the conversation of producers came up, and we were talking about Martin Hannett, Stephen Hague, Nigel Godrich, John Leckie, etc...
we also have the habit of exchanging mixed CDs by mail every now and then, so i had the idea of sifting through my CD collection and attempt a John Leckie compilation. i know Martin Hannett had one years ago (simply called "Martin" issued by Factory Records i believe), so i kinda nicked the idea from that.

so here's the final tracklisting; i burned it onto a CDR and it all fits perfectly. what do you guys think?

Public Image Ltd. - Public Image (1978)
Magazine - Shot By Both Sides (1978)
The Human League - Being Boiled (Holiday '80 version) (1980)
Simple Minds - I Travel (Leckie 12 inch mix) (1980)
The Fall - C.R.E.E.P. (1984)
Felt - Sunlight Bathed The Golden Glow (1984)
The Stone Roses - Fool's Gold (full version) (1989)
The Verve - Already There (1993)
Ride - From Time To Time (1994)
Radiohead - My Iron Lung (1994)
Cast - Walkaway (1995)
Kula Shaker - Govinda (1996)
Muse - Sunburn (1999)
Six By Seven - Overnight Success (2000)
Suede - Positivity (2002)
Starsailor - Shark Food (2004)
New Order - Dracula's Castle (2005)

i'm gonna post my friend a copy of this comp after the holiday weekend.

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 4
Man, an official John Leckie comp or box set would be fantastic! One of the best producers going, period.

bong,
You forgot any selections from his masterwork with XTC in disguise (as The Dukes of Stratosphear), Chips off the Chocolate Fireball. This was released incognito allegedly as a genuisne relic of the late 60's golden age of psych rock in the mid-80s as a tribute by XTC under a fake name. It sounds so authentic, it will give you chills. Probably my favorite XTC "album" of all time (and I'm a HUGE fan).

Nov 23, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Works for me...Great comp. However I do agree with markl about the lack of XTC. Oh well, can't have it all...or can you?
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 4
ahh cool, thanks for the input... i'll definitely look up those XTC suggestions. i never got into XTC, dunno why but i always see Skylarking namechecked when it comes to post-punk.

anyhoo, i can add a John Leckie produced XTC song but then i'll have to replace the full version of "Fool's Gold" with the edit.
frown.gif
it'll also mean the XTC track will be mp3 sourced (as were two other tracks on this comp... everyhting else came from Redbook CDs in my collection). like NacMacFeegle you can't have it all.

other than that, i think this compilation flows quite nicely... i'm considering replacing "Already There" with maybe "Slide Away" or "The Sun, The Sea," and "My Iron Lung" with "Fake Plastic Trees." waddayathink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back