John Coltrane : Classic Quartet-Complete Impulse!
Jun 20, 2002 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have this CD set? I was able to get a hold of the second disc (out of eight) in mp3 format and sounds really nice.

I only begin listening to jazz not too long ago and I've always loved jazz vocal music. I started listening to Miles Davis a while ago and I thought it was not bad but his tune was a little confusing to me
confused.gif
because I wasn't to picture the theme of music sometimes (confusing huh...?). But when I got a hold of this cd by John Coltrane, I sounds very nice to me and I've been going back and listen to it more & more each week during nite time.

I check the price of this cd set, its at $80.00. Ouch
eek.gif
, I am not sure if I want to shell out that much just yet, especially for the music of an artist that I am not familiar with.

So for any of you who like the second cd from this cd set, can you recommand some other pieces by John Coltrane that you think it would be worth a try (or listen?).
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 3
It's an album with a more traditional singer along with the Coltrane Quartet. Mostly slower ballads. Some may not like the mixture of the two concepts, but I think it's pretty interesting idea which works.(You said you like jazz singers)

Some other, relatively layed back quartet stuff, which I think is what you're looking for:

Coltrane(Impulse)
John Coltrane & Duke Ellington(substitutes Aaron Bell and Sam Woodyard on a few tracks)
Ballads
Crescent

...I think most the classic quartet's output up untill 1964 is worth having. I don't like the box set because each disc dosen't contain a single album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back