Joe Strummer
Jul 30, 2005 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mr_baseball_08

1000+ Head-Fier
So I just got my copy of Joe Strummer and the Mescalero's Global a Go-Go. What a beautiful CD. I love this.. Honestly can't stop listening to it. Is some of their other stuff as good as this?? Or is this some of their better work? Completely open for suggestions here.. Thanks a lot guys..

JD

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 9
If you like that, you'd probably like all of Strummer's solo albums. I think I liked Streetcore even more, and Rock Art & the X-Ray Style just as much (although I found the version of "Redemption Song" on Streetcore pretty painful...that's a tough one for any white dude, even one with as much soul as Joe Strummer). I saw him on the tour for Earthquake Weather, but never heard the entire album...same basic "Clash without Mick Jones" sound minus the techno elements of the Mescaleros.

If you, like me, thought Joe was the coolest member of the The Clash and Mick Jones was a dweeb, Strummer's solo work may give you an appreciation for him. He was the melody guy, for sure. Supposedly they were back on speaking terms in the year before Joe passed away...to bad he didn't make it long enough for a reunion.
frown.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 9
Get them all...I like every one the same, and joy joy joy, have turned my 12 year old son on them...sure beats the hell out of him listening to some of the new stuff coming out these days.

-Nac...

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Anyone else have any input?? Also need some help with Nick Drake. Just got his "An Introduction to Nick Drake" and I absolutely love it as well. Someone point me in the right direction as far as he is concerned.. Thanks guys..

JD

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 9
His albums are called Five Leaves Left, Bryter Later, and Pink Moon.

Aug 2, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, I've read up on him just a little.. But Amazon has listings for "Made to Love Magic" and "Time of No Reply" as well. Know anything of these? And anyone want to suggest an order in which to get the albums?? I've read his first probably isn't his best.. But I'd like to appreciate everything he has to offer.. Thanks for the help guys..

JD

Aug 2, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
If you like that, you'd probably like all of Strummer's solo albums. I think I liked Streetcore even more, and Rock Art & the X-Ray Style just as much (although I found the version of "Redemption Song" on Streetcore pretty painful...that's a tough one for any white dude, even one with as much soul as Joe Strummer). I saw him on the tour for Earthquake Weather, but never heard the entire album...same basic "Clash without Mick Jones" sound minus the techno elements of the Mescaleros.

If you, like me, thought Joe was the coolest member of the The Clash and Mick Jones was a dweeb, Strummer's solo work may give you an appreciation for him. He was the melody guy, for sure. Supposedly they were back on speaking terms in the year before Joe passed away...to bad he didn't make it long enough for a reunion.
frown.gif

Ditto. Couldn't have said it better! I'm also interested in learning about Nick Drake and which album of his one should buy first...

Aug 28, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 9
i saw joe strummer with the clash which was brilliant but his unbilled appearance as the lead singer at a pogues show in vancouver(shane was in detox er something) was disappointing until the show started and i still have warm fuzzy feelings about that show over a decade later
as far as nick drake....there are only three released while he was alive...start with pink moon or buy a boxed set containing all three and the other stuff he never meant to be released

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 9
Drake only has the 3 albums, plus a collection of rarities. All 3 albums are essential, make sure you get the latest remasters, they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back