Joe Strummer - RIP
Dec 23, 2002 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Radiohead

New Head-Fier
Just heard the confirmed news that Joe Strummer died yesterday, aged 50.

Sad, sad news.

frown.gif

Dec 23, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 9
This is terrible. He recently played a show with Mick Jones and there was serious talk about a Clash reunion. Seems he died of a "heart attack". We'll see how long that explanation holds. what a bummer. His last album with the Mescaleros was excellent, too.

Mark

Dec 24, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 9
So there I was this Saturday shopping for CDs when I decided, "You know, I should probably own a copy of London Calling." Every other disc I picked up in the used shop that day (nine other discs) were used. This one I had to pay full price for new since there weren't any used copies--but I'd made my mind up that I had to grab it.

So finally, Monday night, December 23, I break open the package and I'm sitting here listening to the Clash, surfing Head-Fi into the wee hours because I have no life. Finally I click on the Amazon rant thread in which someone gave the Artist Direct link. And there it was, front page news.

Here's the link if anyone wants it.

It was tragic that I'd never owned my own copy of London Calling before this weekend. It sucks that rock has lost another legend.

Dec 24, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 9
It is horrible news.

I bought "London Calling" as an English import LP in 1979. Back then, their albums were still being released in England before they were released in the USA. I also saw their first concert in NYC in 1979, at the Palladium. They opened with "I'm So Bored With the USA." I was lucky enough to see them two more times over the next year.

If you can ever find it, pick up the UK version of their first album, "The Clash." By far the most amazing document of the punk era.

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 9
It's "Joe" Strummer, not "Joel", and there's a thread here already. Still a bummer.

Mark

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
It's "Joe" Strummer, not "Joel", and there's a thread here already. Still a bummer.

Mark

Actually, his real name was John Graham Mellor, and if anyone deserves a duplicate thread, it's him.

Dec 24, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Terrible news FCJ
frown.gif
frown.gif

Rest in peace Joe.........

Dec 24, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Mods - Please feel free to combine the threads. Sorry I didn't hit a topic listing in Music before posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back