Joe Grado: HP-1000 Repair time length- post here
Mar 28, 2007 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
Sent my HP-2's into Joe last year for driver replacement- it took 5 months for the repair- for personal reasons, Joe had them tailored similarly to his own personal pair- something about a special method of de-stressing the drivers.

I was thinking of sending them in again for a cable replacement (The ultra-wide bandwidth cable has been nicked and scuffed over the years), but was wondering what type of wait times people have endured.

So, everyone who has had their HP-1000 series headphones repaired by Joe Grado: What was repaired, how long did it take, and finally how much did it cost?

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 13
Joseph (Joe) Grado now lives in our area and rebuilt my HP-1’s a few years ago, which lead to our current good friendship. It was expensive and I was happy to wait till he could work my repair into his schedule, which stays very full for the following reasons:

He is now over 80.

He’s just finishing building a new home and lab, which is lovely but has consumed most of his efforts for the past two years. During this interval, all of his parts for headphones etc. were in storage while their new home and his lab were under construction.

He’s had some medical issues, which we all hope are resolved, if any medical issue is ever fully resolved.

He also conducts research, teaches, lectures and handles his own press interviews / media appearances.

He still restores his headphones that are in need of refurbishments for those who are lucky enough to have a set of these treasures, are also willing to wait their turn for his time as well as pay the cost of his services / parts.

Lastly in his spare time he has been developing a new microphone, which like his headphones and other audio marvels is just stunning!! I’ve listened to the mics he’s been evolving over the past several years and if you liked his other products in the past you’re going to really enjoy his new microphone. He indicates that these sell for between 3 and 4K and that he already has orders for 600 of them. Stay tuned as he is currently negotiating with several major manufactures who would like to use his latest inventions and ongoing research efforts.

As to your question; yes I'd have Joe bring them back up to specs. He's the master and is still the best person in the world today to perform this service, regardless of price or how long it takes him to bring them back up to his standards.

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 13
In all honesty- If you can get Joe Grado to work on your headphones you should be Honored and allow the man to take as long as he needs. If you’re in a hurry send them somewhere else.

“but was wondering what type of wait times people have endured.”

This is meant with the best of intentions- You probably shouldn’t send them in with an attitude like this. He’s not a production shop and not a service center.

A recent poster said Joe didn’t have any of the UWBC left? I don’t know for sure.

Mitch

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all honesty- If you can get Joe Grado to work on your headphones you should be Honored and allow the man to take as long as he needs. If you’re in a hurry send them somewhere else.

Mitch, I'm sure you're aware of how much he charges for this work, aren't you? That might make you reconsider who owes what responsibility to whom.

But it is what it is. If you want a restored HP1000, that's the only game in town. Monopoly pricing at its best. But yes, it is better that the option is out there, and people can choose to vote with their dollars.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 13
“Mitch, I'm sure you're aware of how much he charges for this work, aren't you? That might make you reconsider who owes what responsibility to whom.

But it is what it is. If you want a restored HP1000, that's the only game in town. But yes, it is better that the option is out there, and people can choose to vote with their dollars.”

Sorry but I can’t help but laugh at your posting. Especially “Monopoly pricing at its best.”.

Like I said- You should be Honored to still be able to have Joe Grado work on your headphones. If not go elsewhere and reduce the value of the headphones.

And Yes I paid about 65% of my cost of the headphones to have Joe replace the drivers and cable and you know what- I was Honored to have the Man Himself work on my headphones and felt it was The Best investment I ever made next to actually buying the HP2’s in the first place.

Mitch

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Like I said- You should be Honored to still be able to have Joe Grado work on your headphones. If not go elsewhere and reduce the value of the headphones.

And Yes I paid about 65% of my cost of the headphones to have Joe replace the drivers and cable and you know what- I was Honored to have the Man Himself work on my headphones and felt it was The Best investment I ever made next to actually buying the HP2’s in the first place.

Mitch

Heh, of course you're happy, because you only paid 65% and got a total restoration. One is always happy when one gets a bargain.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

“but was wondering what type of wait times people have endured.”

This is meant with the best of intentions- You probably shouldn’t send them in with an attitude like this. He’s not a production shop and not a service center.

A recent poster said Joe didn’t have any of the UWBC left? I don’t know for sure.

Mitch

Mitch, I'm not sure if you are referring to the post I recently made in the HP2 recable thread but it seems I may have been mistaken.

I assumed Joe didn't have any ultrawide cables left because when he replaced my drivers and ultrawide cable he replaced the ultrawide witg a different cable. My repairs took a couple months and when I spoke to him during the wait he said it was finding the replacement cable that took so long.

Based on this I figured he didn't have any ultrawide cables left. I actually spoke with him again recently and he said he has ultrawide cables and if mine had been an ultrawide to begin with (it was)the repair would have been faster. Looks to have been some confusion on both ends there. I didn't argue because I appreciated the fact that he helped me at all.

So in answer to the.question, it took about two months for the repairs and it seems he still has some ultrawide cables available. It turns out whatever cable he used on mine is more difficult to come by though I don't know which cable it is.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks unkamartin for the info on what Joseph is up to. Considering his age and being as busy as he is, I all of a sudden feel like a bum for my age.

Anyway, I agree - the fact that he still repairs these amazing headphones is a wonderful thing. These are lifer headphones, so waiting a year and paying a premium shouldn't be considered a bad thing at all.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Yeah it's pretty awesome that this option is out there. I don't really follow Grado/Grado products besides knowing roughly what's out there... so I kind of just assumed that Joe was dead (I'm sorry!!) or at least completely retired.

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping to keep my HP2s as pristine as possible so as to avoid bothering Uncle Joe.

agreed,

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

And Yes I paid about 65% of my cost of the headphones to have Joe replace the drivers and cable...

Holy cow!!! That is about $650.00 being conservative...Who said the R-10 drivers are expensive???
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back