Job Offer!
Dec 2, 2007 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Audio-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
Today I just received a job offer from Sony Pictures Entertainment as a sound and mixing engineer. Currently I work in a studio as a producer and a sound engineer located at Hollywood, CA. The job is at Culver, CA. The studio I currently work at is 60% independent and 40% Sony. I have a higher position in the studio than my job offer but the pay will be more consistent and almost double my average income. I don't know how things work in the film industry but I am enjoying myself at the recording industry. So basically my job offer is to be one of the monkeys to edit/mix/record the soundtrack for the movie in 8 channels instead just 2 that I am used to. So the million dollar question is to take the higher paying job but lower position or lower paying job but higher position. I can also meet the same salary if my customers are consistent but it varies. The fun part about the studio is you actually work and meet a lot of celebrities and get to know them. So any opinions?

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 25
take the offer, i'll happily take your job in a few years when i graduate college
smily_headphones1.gif
( i'm a communication arts major, and want a job in radio or in audio)

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 25
I had a similar issue recently. I had the opportunity to work at Dolby Laboratories as a software engineer. Basically, I would develop the algorithms that make surround sound, dolby headphone, and the new technologies happen. It sounded so ridiculously interesting. Yet, at the same time, I got a job offer from Goldman Sachs, which is an extremely high prestige job, and can lead to enormous career potential and power in the future. I accepted Goldman Sachs, and I think I made the right choice, but I am absolutely heartbroken about not being able to do Dolby
frown.gif

By the way, if I were in your shoes, I'd ask your current boss for a raise, and show him the offer letter. Tell him you like your current position more, but the pay difference is too high. They may pay to keep you. If they don't, then they don't value you enough, and you should take the other job offer.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, if I were in your shoes, I'd ask your current boss for a raise, and show him the offer letter. Tell him you like your current position more, but the pay difference is too high. They may pay to keep you. If they don't, then they don't value you enough, and you should take the other job offer.

My dad is my boss which is the owner of the studio. He does the financial business stuff and I am the head employee among the other 3. I get about 40% of the profit, 30% for my dad, and 30% for Sony. So the raise is out of the question. He does know my job offer and suggest I take it.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 25
For Sony your job will be easy, just turn those knobs up all the way and don't look back on your integrity and keep your idealism in check at home or around here in the forums.

But take that job...it will become more important for your future.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 25
My opinion has always been that they can all me whatever they want as long as they pay me. In that regard I would say go Sony.

On the other hand, there is a lot to be said for being your own boss in a family biz environment that you described.

Then again with the exorbitant cost of living in Southern California, extra $$ can never hurt. I would think that if you took the new position and life just sucks, you could always go back to your current diggs, yah?

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm. Do I want a Honda or a Porsche?

Honda are cheaper to insure and still get you from point a to point b. it depends what your priorites are. IF you need the dough, take the higher paying job. If not, then dont, and continue enjoying your current job.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honda are cheaper to insure and still get you from point a to point b.

Oh, of course. Why bother with ambition if putting food on the table is all you require.

If you care about steeper learning curve, potential upward mobility, and a great stamp on your resume, then Sony probably would be the better choice.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 25
I would speak to the boss about it and see what he thinks. If he thinks it would be a great opportunity and he can fill your shoes at work, then go for it. The showbiz world should be exciting and interesting. A big company like Sony will always have new opportunities for you to grow.

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would speak to the boss about it and see what he thinks. If he thinks it would be a great opportunity and he can fill your shoes at work, then go for it. The showbiz world should be exciting and interesting. A big company like Sony will always have new opportunities for you to grow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad is my boss which is the owner of the studio. He does the financial business stuff and I am the head employee among the other 3. I get about 40% of the profit, 30% for my dad, and 30% for Sony. So the raise is out of the question. He does know my job offer and suggest I take it.

*cough*

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It sure does sound like a fantastic opportunity.

Perhaps you could consider this a placement rather than a move. Consider going ot the new gig for a year or two and then return to your current arrangement - perhaps with additional skill. Chicks love skills... (oh, and so do employers, and probably your Dad too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back