Job Interview-Fi
Sep 19, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Actually before she started the interview, she asked me whether I've done interviews before, and I told her yes (well, I did, but not for "real job") because I didn't wanna let her assume that I'd perform bad because it's my 1st one. But I also let her know that I got another interview for a different company on this Friday.

Just wondering, when they ask you the usual "What's your strength" and "What's your weakness" questions, what did you guys have for answers?

Me, strength, I mentioned the usual hard working, keen to learn something new, good team player, bla bla...
weakness, I told her that I realise that my english pronounciation (or speaking skills) may not be as accurate as native speakers, but what I'm lacking of, I make it up in working harder than those people.

It sounds like you did just fine. Interviewing (on both sides of the table) is a skill one develops with time and experience.

Very important: Most interviewers are lousy at it. If you're turned-down, it is very likely the reason has absolutely nothing to do with you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a staffing company and it sounds to me as if the person who interviewed you really was looking for the most basic level of job compatibility, i.e., can you fog a mirror. If they determine that you can fog the mirror they'll pass your name to the client company and then you'll get your real interview. There are staffing companies and there are staffing companies. We really focus on knowing our client's jobs and properly screening the candidates. We actively look for the best fit between job and employee in both hard and soft skills. That's what our clients are paying for. From your description of the first interview, it didn't sound like much of a staffing company. You'll have to compensate for the staffing company's apathetic approach by really shining with your enthusiasm and passion.

Go get 'em man! Really! They're probably so used to seeing low grade candidates from that staffing company that you need to shine like the noon day sun. You can do it! The suggestions above in this thread have been very good.

Thanks for the encouragement, I think I just need to do a few more so I can be more relaxed next time. I wasn't actually sure what exact graduate position it was. When I asked her, she said the client got a few positions in finance and banking field, but she didn't look like she wanted explain in details.

So as you said, it might be just for the very basic kind of job (I would assume so because they called me even though I didn't have prior work experience in that field). But I don't mind that as long as I can get into the industry. Too bad you're not in Sydney or else maybe you can hook me up with some jobs, hehe...

Oh yeah, and I did email her a thank-you mail too after I came home. Now just hope for the best.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

I wish I was that good. haha

But as Kwkarth said, at my current stage, I'll be happy to fog a mirror. Well maybe as long as I can get paid at minimum 40K per annum
biggrin.gif

The bit about mirror fogging ability only applies to the average joe. You're far above average, indicated in part, by your presence here at Head-Fi.

Many staffing companies, only looking for a quick buck, often look no farther than a person's ability to fog a mirror to judge their ability to do a job.

You are worthy of much better than that.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 46
I'd avoid head hunters all together. I've never had success with them, and generally the people your talking to are only looking to make money direclty off of your income, or through a referral fee. The hardest part about dealing with recruiters is usually they know little to nothing about the position, yet feel they have enough information to discriminate you very fast. That makes it a hard sell yourself, since they have little insight into what you bring to the table. They are basically just filtering resumes for a real company. Also, most of the jobs they can find, are available to you regardless if you approach the company directly.

My advice for interviews is to have a lot of confidence. In interviews I've seen people get very nervous, and it usually makes interviewers weary that you know what your talking about. You need to know exactly what to say, do not be overly honest, meaning do not give information away that isn't flattering. There are ways of answering questions that what you don't say won't necesarilly hurt you. Give a good pitch for why you are great, have it prepared so you don't look like your just making up BS. Don't mention salary unless you need to know immediatly. A good way to mention salary requirements, is you can explain you have pending offers or something and need to know now (or whatever reason). A lot of the time salary isn't considered until afterwards, and this won't help you if you high ball them for starters.

Finally, I mean take your time in answering questions if you have a well layed out answer. If your being rushed through an interview, or the guy isn't even listening to you, to me at least that's a good sign to know the guy isn't serious, and the company is worthless. Employees make up a company, and if an employer isn't truly interested in position candidates beyond how well they turn they look on paper, they aren't worthy of your time. They don't need to decide to hire you just as much as you don't need to decide to work for them. A strong candidate will have many options so don't feel as if you are there begging for a job.

Good luck!

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]I'd avoid head hunters all together. I've never had success with them, and generally the people your talking to are only looking to make money direclty off of your income, or through a referral fee. The hardest part about dealing with recruiters is usually they know little to nothing about the position, yet feel they have enough information to discriminate you very fast. That makes it a hard sell yourself, since they have little insight into what you bring to the table. They are basically just filtering resumes for a real company. Also, most of the jobs they can find, are available to you regardless if you approach the company directly.[/size]

We're not all as you say. After 30 years in engineering and engineering management, I bring better insight and understanding of a "successful" employee to the table than most employers themselves. That's the value I add.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #24 of 46
Thank you so much for so much good advice here. This is definitely the thread that have the most helpful responses that I've ever made.

The point about some recruitment companies aren't as attentive as "direct" company is very valid, but the thing is, most jobs here (at least graduate position) are posted by recruitment companies. I look for a job through our local site (seek.com.au), and if you have a quick browse (eg. type in business graduate), most returns are ads from recruitment consultants.

The telephone interview I'm gonna do this Friday is with a large bank, and the good thing about them is they are very organised. I heard from my friend that they were looking for graduates, so I went to their site, registered, submitted my resume, and then I completed a simple test. I passed that one, so next is phone interview, and after that, final interview with senior staff.

The good thing is they always keep me up to date, I know exactly the dates of when I should be receiving emails if they are interested in me, and what to do next, etc.. whereas many recruitment companies just leave you out in the cold.

I guess interviews can be one of those things that you need to do a few times before you're getting good at it huh? But anyway, in the meantime I'll keep applying for as many jobs as I can, hopefully I can get my break eventually.
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Thank you so much for so much good advice here. This is definitely the thread that have the most helpful responses that I've ever made.

The point about some recruitment companies aren't as attentive as "direct" company is very valid, but the thing is, most jobs here (at least graduate position) are posted by recruitment companies. I look for a job through our local site (seek.com.au), and if you have a quick browse (eg. type in business graduate), most returns are ads from recruitment consultants.

The telephone interview I'm gonna do this Friday is with a large bank, and the good thing about them is they are very organised. I heard from my friend that they were looking for graduates, so I went to their site, registered, submitted my resume, and then I completed a simple test. I passed that one, so next is phone interview, and after that, final interview with senior staff.

The good thing is they always keep me up to date, I know exactly the dates of when I should be receiving emails if they are interested in me, and what to do next, etc.. whereas many recruitment companies just leave you out in the cold.

I guess interviews can be one of those things that you need to do a few times before you're getting good at it huh? But anyway, in the meantime I'll keep applying for as many jobs as I can, hopefully I can get my break eventually.
icon10.gif

The "trend" toward more and more recruitment companies being involved in the hiring process is on the rise as companies realise that the best candidates are in shorter and shorter supply. Good recruitment companies specialize in finding only the best candidates for a given job. Being the "best" fit for a given job is a two way street as well. A "best fit" candidate will be happier in their job and will have better long term employment than will an "average" placement. So finding the "right" job is a win-win situation! You win and your employer wins!

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're not all as you say. After 30 years in engineering and engineering management, I bring better insight and understanding of a "successful" employee to the table than most employers themselves. That's the value I add.

I just call it how i see it man. I do not know you personally. As far as how good you are at what you do that's fine, and I'm glad you make a living. I rather make my own opportunities and avoid the middle man altogether. There is a good reason some of the best firms in the buisness specifically avoid recruitment firms entirely. Particularly, they like to groom candidates on their own since they know their own organization best. I'm sure you are awere of that anyway, so no particular offense to you man. You won't say companies like Google or Microsoft using recruiters anytime soon.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just call it how i see it man. I do not know you personally. As far as how good you are at what you do that's fine, and I'm glad you make a living. I rather make my own opportunities and avoid the middle man altogether. There is a good reason some of the best firms in the buisness specifically avoid recruitment firms entirely. Particularly, they like to groom candidates on their own since they know their own organization best. I'm sure you are awere of that anyway, so no particular offense to you man. You won't say companies like Google or Microsoft using recruiters anytime soon.

No offense intended, no offence taken. I think it's good that you make your own opportunities. I've done that all of my professional life. The trending, though, is toward the integration of quality recruiting companies into their hiring process, as they downsize their non core competencies.

I would venture to say that both Google and MS (MS for sure) already use recruiters and staffing companies. The use and importance thereof in the hiring process will only increase.

Currently, the best companies have aggressive internal on-going RCG recruiting programs to find new talent, but for the experienced workforce, more and more, the only viable portal of entry into these good companies, is through professional staffing and recruitment companies.

Typically, the RCG programs focus on the top tier of students.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #28 of 46
This might be out of topic, but I notice that there are so many different recruitment companies here in Sydney, and they constantly keep posting ads for new recruitment consultant position.

Any idea why? Is it because the business is so cutthroat they keep firing non performers and hiring new staff?

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

This might be out of topic, but I notice that there are so many different recruitment companies here in Sydney, and they constantly keep posting ads for new recruitment consultant position.

Any idea why? Is it because the business is so cutthroat they keep firing non performers and hiring new staff?

That could very well be the case. Since I'm not a cutthroat kind of guy, we have to survive on quality of performance alone, not quantity or price. I'm not convinced, at this point, if that's possible, but we're giving it a go!

Best of luck to you in your career!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back