Job Hunting Tips?
Jun 11, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #31 of 78
I can't believe that I am going to agree with gsferrari (what is this forum coming to?). Get another degree!

1. Dress nice to the interview. Think conservative - you are asking them to give you money for your talents.
2. Smile and hold your head up. Look them in the eye. Offer your hand.
3. You lack experience; make it up with enthusiasm. Energetic enthusiastic people really perk up the workplace. The boss (well this boss anyway) will take a chance on someone with that "certain something".
4. DO NOT WEAR YOUR UE-10's TO THE INTERVIEW. Don't bring them with you either. (Headphones are isolating mechanisms. they will make you
5. Make sure your socks match.
6. Shower before the interview. Do not have BO. Do not use cologne that day. Brush your teeth. Deodorant!!!
7. Bring your own pen.
8. Cut your fingernails and clean under them.
9. If you wear glasses be sure they are clean.
10. Do not expect to get the job at the first interview you do. Interviewing takes practice, the more you go to the more comfortable you will become.
11. Be 5 minutes early in the office. For a 10:00am, arrive at 9:55am. This means you may arrive at the building half an hour early
12. If you smoke, do not smoke that day. Nothing is a bigger turn-off than smoke smell.
13. Go to the bathroom 10 minutes before the interview (don't laugh).
14. Bring 3 copies of references, CV, and resume with you.
15. Keep your resume 2 pages or less.
16. Send a thank you letter and follow up with a phone call in 7 business days if you do not hear from them.

Jun 18, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #32 of 78
Hey guys. Thanks for all of the input. I'm taking action on some of the recommendations such as looking into newspapers and trying to find friends who know contacts within the publishing industry.

I have a specific question: is it realistic for me to expect to wait patiently for a few months before I get an interview that could land a job in the current job market climate?

In other words, I graduated from college less than one month ago. I'm having a tough time with people wanting to interview me. I think it has something to do with my resume and the current job market conditions especially with regard to the publishing industry. I don't know. Is it possible that I could be looking for an entry level position for the rest of summer before I possibly might be hired in today's job market?

I am willing to send my resume to members who would be kind enough to take a look at it and provide some feedback. Please PM me if you would be willing to help out a fellow jobless Head-Fi member (ok, that was desperate but so am I). Thanks!

Jun 18, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #33 of 78
well, here's the deal:

depending on what kind of job you're applying for, yes, it will take a while. and you should be spending many hours each day applying too. it's not uncommon to send out 100's of resumes and only get one interview.

however, of course, maybe your resume just sucks.

so, ...i guess it would be a good idea to get different people to critique your stuff.

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #34 of 78
Hey Welly,

I am currently also looking for work in the publishing industry - in Canada. Currently, I'm halfway through courses in a publishing program at a university here... you may need to do more research/education before you can crack the publishing nut.

What kind of publishing are you interested in? Magazine, book publishing, etc... I have worked with a trade book publisher (fiction/non-fiction) as well as a legal publisher through our internship program. I have heard that the New York scene is much worse, being the preserve of "trust-fund kids"... since book publishing companies there pay so poorly, only rich people can afford to work for them.

Figure out which part of publishing that you want to do... I have worked as an assistant publicist, in sales and marketing, and in editorial. There are a number of opportunities, but it helps to have some kind of background.

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
well, here's the deal:

depending on what kind of job you're applying for, yes, it will take a while. and you should be spending many hours each day applying too. it's not uncommon to send out 100's of resumes and only get one interview.

however, of course, maybe your resume just sucks.

so, ...i guess it would be a good idea to get different people to critique your stuff.

Agreed, depending the on the job market in your area sometimes it can take months even close to a year before you will on something serious in your profession. The may thing is that your never given and be persistent in your job hunting.

Jun 19, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #36 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Hey Welly,

I am currently also looking for work in the publishing industry - in Canada. Currently, I'm halfway through courses in a publishing program at a university here... you may need to do more research/education before you can crack the publishing nut.

What kind of publishing are you interested in? Magazine, book publishing, etc... I have worked with a trade book publisher (fiction/non-fiction) as well as a legal publisher through our internship program. I have heard that the New York scene is much worse, being the preserve of "trust-fund kids"... since book publishing companies there pay so poorly, only rich people can afford to work for them.

Figure out which part of publishing that you want to do... I have worked as an assistant publicist, in sales and marketing, and in editorial. There are a number of opportunities, but it helps to have some kind of background.

HiWire:

Should I be giving these publishing companies to which I send my resume and cover letters a phone call? Should I call their human resources department or get in touch with the specific departments to which I am applying? Or, is that considered a "no-no" in the industry? Right now, I would prefer to work in magazine publishing but I also have interest in book publishing specifically fiction / poetry. I still think I need work on my resume. Would I be able to send it to you for review?

Jun 19, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #37 of 78
Publishing companies are generally like other companies... except the ones I've worked with have been very small. If you're into magazine publishing... it would be handy to know QuarkXpress or Adobe InDesign and have a good general knowledge of Macs. Subject knowledge (e.g. computers for computer mags, cars for auto mags) or some journalism experience would be good too, even with campus newspapers, etc.

I don't know the magazine industry that well, but it's definitely heavily associated with ad sales. If you want to be, for example, a Maxim intern, I don't think there are any rules. I think it's harder to be in publishing in the States because there is a lot more competition... basically any decent arts grad could do something in publishing.

My university very generously offers us a job posting list... otherwise it might be difficult to break into the business without some inside references.

Jun 19, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #38 of 78
lots of good advice here. let me add another bit which i hope is also good: volunteer to do something that's in your field. what you always come up against in a tight economy is lack of experience - which puts you in that catch-22 dilemma: but how can i get experience if no one will give me a job?
you can get experience by finding an organization (a charity, a school, a church, a non-profit, a neighborhood organization) for which to volunteer to use the skills that you have and want to use professionally. doing so shows commitment, social responsibility, and can be very helpful in building the network you need to boost you into the career you really want.

even when you have that gap in your resume where you were forced to do something other than your chosen profession (waiting tables instead of vetting the next great american novel?), you will be able to claim continuing "employment" of those skills integral to your chosen career.

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #39 of 78
God, I hope I'm doing the right thing.

I've turned down two job offers so far. I turned down a job at MDU Communications to be a customer service representative and I turned down another job to be a rep for Comcast. Both were temporary jobs with no future for full-time hire. No benefits package either; just a relatively low hourly pay rate of about $10 - $13 per hour.

I hope I'm doing the right thing. I'm taking my aunt's advice to stay focused on landing one full time entryl level career as an assistant to the human resources, editor, or copy editor at a publishing house in NYC with a benefits package. I've been grateful for the help that a Head-Fi member here has given me about strengthening my resume with specific points. I'm also doing the same with my aunt's advice and I think I have a pretty good resume so far. It's getting sent out only to publishing houses in NYC. No other industry.

My hope is to stay patient at least until the end of this summer. I hope someone will notice my resume in NYC and decide to schedule an interview. Yes, I already have a top 25 questions Q&A list that employers ask prospective employees that I got from Furl It. Yes, I'm saving all newspaper clippings on advice regarding interviewing skills and attire. I still am optimistic that I'll land that elusive dream job. I just hope I'm doing the right thing by avoiding other job offers that aren't really related to what I studied in college. My aunt told me that my job history and work experiences will go a long way in determining future job offers; it will open and close doors. I'm starting to see how my few years in the retail and customer service industries are doing that now. The good thing she says is that I'm a recent college graduate and I'm still young enough to make course adjustments in my career path. I hope so. All I keep getting are offers for customer service this or customer service that by employers who are in the communications business.

Is it just me or is this whole online job application thing getting me nowhere fast? I keep sending out my resume online and I get no replies for weeks or a terse rejection note once in a while. I'm going to need to change tactics. I'll be going to my local church since it is very much composed of professionals and career orientated people. I'll try to make some networking contacts. I'll keep copies of my resumes on hand when I go to church and see if I can pass it out to people who work in the publishing biz. I don't know: it's an Asian congregation and the chances of finding some other Asian person in the publishing industry are pretty slim but I do know of one family who has a kid in the biz (IIRC). Got to try different job hunting tactics.

I hope I'm doing the right thing. Money isn't tight because I'm on top of my budget but it won't last forever either.

Jul 2, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #40 of 78
Welly Wu - it is all about "who you know". Network, network, network. Call everyone that you know and ask them to refer you to someone if they don't have a job for you or a lead for a job. Call several of the firms that you want to work for and request an "informational interview". This is a good way to get in to meet these people and see what the market is like and pick their brains. Informational interviews are not about getting a job there, they are about acquiring information and are very brief in duration. Employers willing to meet with you do so as a courtesy and as a way to acquire a resume for their files in case they need to fill a position in the near future. They are a good tool and many job search references will discuss them.

Research the firms you apply to. Tell them why you want to work for them before they ask you. Tell them why they should hire you instead of 100 others who also applied. Show them that you have a genuine interest in their company (because you've taken time to research it) and tell them how you can contribute. Everyone likes a team player who does his/her homework.

Go to a book store or library and read up on resume formats, interview skills (learn how to sell yourself), and also take advantage of job search web sites. Don't mass mail your resume to everyone. This just shows desparation.

Tailor your cover letters to every target. You can also prepare several different versions of your resume to target different employers as well.

Find out who the hiring managers are at the firms you want to work for and call them to inquire about their needs. Tell them why they need you. Some firms will actually create positions for the right individual.

Businesses also rely on personal recommendations from current employees to fill positions. It costs businesses big bucks to fill positions too so keep this in mind. If you know someone who can walk in your resume you are way ahead of the game.

I've been through this more times than I care to count (lots of cycles in high tech as an engineer) and ultimately it comes down to talking with people not mailing your resume around. This is what gets you in the door. If you can't get in the door, you can't sell yourself to an employer.

Good luck!

Jul 2, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #41 of 78
Welly Wu,

I wish you the best in searching for your right job. Don't forget to check your local newspaper man. BTW, having a part time job is not so bad. 10 to 13 dollars is not bad given that you can depend on yourself and have pocket money to spend. Again it is entirely up to you. Keep your option open, but 10 to 13 dollars is certainly o.k. in my book (don't expect much for the first job, there's always room for advancement). It is definitely better than depleting your saving account. Again good luck.

Jul 2, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #42 of 78
You know what? I'm going to be getting into newspapers much more heavily and establishing networking contact by asking people to ask people who will take a look at my resume. I recently read The Power of Focus book and it says that if you can sell your product to a particular person, then ask him or her if they know someone else who might be interested. Essentially, I'm selling my work experiences and skills. I'll be switching tactics by pouring into newspapers and periodicals (I subscribe to Poets & Writers and Publishers Weekly) and I'll be making some calls for "information interviews." Thanks for the support!

Jul 2, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #43 of 78
hi Welly -

I am an Engineer, so I have no info that is specific to your job search struggle, but:

Your personality, and the way you present yourself is your biggest gun.

Use it!

GO to the places/companies you want the job from. Present yourself. More jobs are awarded on the basis of personality and trust, than any resumes. This is the actual truth behind the saying "it is who you know"...it is not the smarmy part of the saying, it is just: are you confident, easy to communicate with, do you speak the language of your chosen craft, can you think on your feet? All these things are NOT communicated in a resume, and even worse on-line.

Be gently persistent with the jobs you really want, but not annoyingly in their faces.

Have faith - if it is right, it will happen.

We live in an almost entirely diverse society now - Your name is an asset, not a liability.

Best regards,

Guy

Jul 16, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #44 of 78
I just came back from my first interview since graduation. It's at Barnes & Noble on Route 10 West, NJ. The assistant manager wants me to do a second interview with the general manager. I think I made a good first impression.

I have another B&N interview on Route 22 West tomorrow. It will be my first one over there. I also have two interviews scheduled this Monday at Borders Books & Music and B&N.

These jobs aren't much but I've read in the newspaper articles giving out general job hunting tips to recent college grads that I must accept jobs that aren't necessarily my dream ones because it's critical to generate income from any line of work in order to manage my personal budget, pay off my student loans, and to build my resume with excellent work experiences, accomplishments, and professional references.

I just pray that this line of work will be challenging and something I can enjoy so I will stick with it for awhile. It's supposed to be temporary work but it may become semi-permanent for the remainder of the year and well into 2005 until I land that dream entry level job at a major publishing house in NYC. To that end, I'm still strengthening my resume and sending it out to major publishing houses but so far, no interviews from them.

The good news is this B&N book store is located in a nice county in NJ (Morris County is one of the top five wealthiest areas to live in the entire United States) and it attracts clients as such. The internal customers (retail speak for employees) are very nice and extremely professional / courteous too. So far, they seem to want me to be their lead book seller which means a full time position.

Again, I just pray that I will enjoy this line of work and I can find ways to challenge myself so I don't get bored to death. I got to think about how to do that tonight.

Thank God it seems that somebody is interested enough to look at me and my resume. I kind of felt afraid I wouldn't get hired but I knew that was illogical too.

I'll update this thread with more details tomorrow too. I'm hoping the great job hunt leads to a great work experience.

Jul 16, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #45 of 78
Wu,

Good to hear man. I hope you will get the job, and don't worry much about landing your dream job. Get your experience and pave your way into your dream job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back