JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #931 of 1,107
OK, I have had my XTC-C ^2.5 Euphoric Xtreme Trip phones, the ones pictured in a recent post with the gorgeous African Blackwood Burl earcups, for about 2 weeks now and I have approximately 10 hours on them. I thought I would post my impressions about their sound.

As I own a pair of XTC-C 1.0 phones (currently for sale in the classifieds), perhaps this is the most appropriate phone for comparison, partly because many of you on this thread have heard these, partly due to similar pricing, and partly because my other phones employ a completely different driver that makes sonic comparisons difficult if not irrelevant. I also tend to listen to different phones with different types of music, most often reaching for dynamic driver phones for music that requires a bass and dynamics underpinning to make it optimally impressive. A prime example is Thin Lizzy's Renegade, one of the best rock recordings I know of.

To cut to the chase, the 1.0 and 2.5 phones have a sound cut from the same cloth, perhaps not surprising since they both use a beryllium driver with similar electrical impedance and sensitivity, 64 ohms/113.5 dB for the 1.0 and 32 ohms/114 dB for the 2.5 (I think those are correct). The 1.0 uses nearly scalpel tuning while the 2.5 employs Wolf Hawk tuning (maybe JM can editorialize on what these two tunings mean). Both have a prominent but not overbearing bass presentation, good midrange body, sweet highs, a good soundstage for a closed-back phone, and good dynamic range. That being said, the 2.5 is better in all regards than the 1.0 but I would also posit that if you have heard the 1.0 you have heard the 2.5. The more expensive 2.5 just extrapolates on all that the 1.0 does and improves everything, including a more extended and faster bass, a more vivid midrange, a more elevated and detailed treble, and a bigger soundstage that extends more around your head. You can just hear more into the musical details and how instruments are played and voices sung. Everything is just more tactile if I can use that term, which makes recordings, especially classic and progressive rock recordings, more detailed. Even traditional and fusion jazz recordings are improved, but here along with classical and male and female vocal recordings I might choose my other phones that employ planar magnetic or ribbon drivers for their elevated detail at the expense of bass and dynamics. The 2.5 is certainly not deficient on these types of music but different drivers all have their strengths and weaknesses.

As I get more time with the 2.5 I will post my impressions including some experimentation with closing the little ports in the earcups--I just have left them all open as I don't feel the need so far to reduce bass or elevate midrange and treble. I know some of you will want more bass so perhaps you would prefer the more bass-prominent tunings than the Wolf Hawk flavor but I don't feel the need for a more elevated bass.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #932 of 1,107
OK, I have had my XTC-C ^2.5 Euphoric Xtreme Trip phones, the ones pictured in a recent post with the gorgeous African Blackwood Burl earcups, for about 2 weeks now and I have approximately 10 hours on them. I thought I would post my impressions about their sound.

As I own a pair of XTC-C 1.0 phones (currently for sale in the classifieds), perhaps this is the most appropriate phone for comparison, partly because many of you on this thread have heard these, partly due to similar pricing, and partly because my other phones employ a completely different driver that makes sonic comparisons difficult if not irrelevant. I also tend to listen to different phones with different types of music, most often reaching for dynamic driver phones for music that requires a bass and dynamics underpinning to make it optimally impressive. A prime example is Thin Lizzy's Renegade, one of the best rock recordings I know of.

To cut to the chase, the 1.0 and 2.5 phones have a sound cut from the same cloth, perhaps not surprising since they both use a beryllium driver with similar electrical impedance and sensitivity, 64 ohms/113.5 dB for the 1.0 and 32 ohms/114 dB for the 2.5 (I think those are correct). The 1.0 uses nearly scalpel tuning while the 2.5 employs Wolf Hawk tuning (maybe JM can editorialize on what these two tunings mean). Both have a prominent but not overbearing bass presentation, good midrange body, sweet highs, a good soundstage for a closed-back phone, and good dynamic range. That being said, the 2.5 is better in all regards than the 1.0 but I would also posit that if you have heard the 1.0 you have heard the 2.5. The more expensive 2.5 just extrapolates on all that the 1.0 does and improves everything, including a more extended and faster bass, a more vivid midrange, a more elevated and detailed treble, and a bigger soundstage that extends more around your head. You can just hear more into the musical details and how instruments are played and voices sung. Everything is just more tactile if I can use that term, which makes recordings, especially classic and progressive rock recordings, more detailed. Even traditional and fusion jazz recordings are improved, but here along with classical and male and female vocal recordings I might choose my other phones that employ planar magnetic or ribbon drivers for their elevated detail at the expense of bass and dynamics. The 2.5 is certainly not deficient on these types of music but different drivers all have their strengths and weaknesses.

As I get more time with the 2.5 I will post my impressions including some experimentation with closing the little ports in the earcups--I just have left them all open as I don't feel the need so far to reduce bass or elevate midrange and treble. I know some of you will want more bass so perhaps you would prefer the more bass-prominent tunings than the Wolf Hawk flavor but I don't feel the need for a more elevated bass.

I hope later on you can post some detailed comparison of Kennerton Rognir vs XTC 2.5. That would be very interesting reading. Thanks

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #933 of 1,107
I hope later on you can post some detailed comparison of Kennerton Rognir vs XTC 2.5. That would be very interesting reading. Thanks
I also have a rognir and 2.5, so I'll post something when I get the free time

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #934 of 1,107
I also have a rognir and 2.5, so I'll post something when I get the free time
I'm also very interested in the Kennerton range (after I get a JM open back first to compliment my extreme 2.5). William from the Headphone Experience raves about them. I contacted them in Russia but they no longer have a distributor in Australia.....

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #935 of 1,107
As I said earlier, it is somewhat difficult to directly compare headphones that employ different drivers and technology, so take my comparisons of the Kennerton Rognir Planar and JMAE XTC-C ^2.5 Euphoria Xtreme Trip with a grain of salt.

IMO, the greatest difference in these two phones is what type of music for which they excel. The 2.5 has greater bass weight, extension, and dynamics while the RP has a faster, more detailed, more transparent, more treble-oriented, and more spacious sound. The 2.5 has a more intimate, closed-in sound and overall better dynamics with a more robust midrange and less treble. I think the 2.5 has a slight edge in truthful instrumental timbres but both are good at this. BTW, my RP is the bass-heavy version, something true with almost all RPs if I am not mistaken, but make no mistake that they are not bass-prominent although if the recording has a lot of bass the RP will reproduce it faithfully, while the 2.5 seems to produce bass on most recordings, even some of the bass-shy ones. Sometimes with the RP I even find myself adding a few dB of bass EQ using Roon. I do have to say that the RP is somewhat eclipsed in most of what they excel at by my RAAL SR-1b but the trade-off is bass quality versus quantity, i.e. I find the SR-1b bass faster with better pitch definition but definitely lacking weight, dynamics, and extension found on the RP and even more so on the 2.5.

So the 2.5 is preferable on those types of recordings that need a bass foundation to give the best rendition of such recordings such as the aforementioned Thin Lizzy Renegade or the fusion Bruce Katz Band Transformation that on LP has some absolutely center-of-the-earth bass. On the RP these recordings are weak shadows of themselves, at times not even hinting on what is on the recording. However, listening to complex music like Dixie Dregs Take It Off the Top favors the RP. Classical recordings, most classic jazz, and vocal music sounds wonderful on the RP but the improved bass and dynamics found on the 2.5 don't really translate into something extra with these types of recordings.

IMO, if you, like me, listen to a lot of musical genres you may well want to chase multiple headphones that each excel at different types of recordings. But if your listening habits are homogeneous, you may want to find those phones that embellish that particular type of music. For instance, EDM is not my choice of music but I would well imagine the 2.5 to probably be your choice. For chamber music, go with the RP or even the SR-1b.

Hope I answered your question.

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #936 of 1,107
As I said earlier, it is somewhat difficult to directly compare headphones that employ different drivers and technology, so take my comparisons of the Kennerton Rognir Planar and JMAE XTC-C ^2.5 Euphoria Xtreme Trip with a grain of salt.

IMO, the greatest difference in these two phones is what type of music for which they excel. The 2.5 has greater bass weight, extension, and dynamics while the RP has a faster, more detailed, more transparent, more treble-oriented, and more spacious sound. The 2.5 has a more intimate, closed-in sound and overall better dynamics with a more robust midrange and less treble. I think the 2.5 has a slight edge in truthful instrumental timbres but both are good at this. BTW, my RP is the bass-heavy version, something true with almost all RPs if I am not mistaken, but make no mistake that they are not bass-prominent although if the recording has a lot of bass the RP will reproduce it faithfully, while the 2.5 seems to produce bass on most recordings, even some of the bass-shy ones. Sometimes with the RP I even find myself adding a few dB of bass EQ using Roon. I do have to say that the RP is somewhat eclipsed in most of what they excel at by my RAAL SR-1b but the trade-off is bass quality versus quantity, i.e. I find the SR-1b bass faster with better pitch definition but definitely lacking weight, dynamics, and extension found on the RP and even more so on the 2.5.

So the 2.5 is preferable on those types of recordings that need a bass foundation to give the best rendition of such recordings such as the aforementioned Thin Lizzy Renegade or the fusion Bruce Katz Band Transformation that on LP has some absolutely center-of-the-earth bass. On the RP these recordings are weak shadows of themselves, at times not even hinting on what is on the recording. However, listening to complex music like Dixie Dregs Take It Off the Top favors the RP. Classical recordings, most classic jazz, and vocal music sounds wonderful on the RP but the improved bass and dynamics found on the 2.5 don't really translate into something extra with these types of recordings.

IMO, if you, like me, listen to a lot of musical genres you may well want to chase multiple headphones that each excel at different types of recordings. But if your listening habits are homogeneous, you may want to find those phones that embellish that particular type of music. For instance, EDM is not my choice of music but I would well imagine the 2.5 to probably be your choice. For chamber music, go with the RP or even the SR-1b.

Hope I answered your question.

Great reading, indeed. Thanks for all these details. I am considering to add planar hp to my collection soon. I listen almost all genres. Just now I am listening some orchestral music with XTC 2.5 and I am really enjoying that. I am impressed how XTC is handling complex passages pretty well. Timbre is fantastic and the instrument separation very decent. Nothing sounds congested to my ears. I am sure planar might be even faster here but XTC is still very enjoyable listening. Definitely keeping Rognir on my shortlist. The XTC 2.5 is excellent allrounder headphone with plenty to offer. Really nothing to complain about.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #937 of 1,107
John could post a table summarizing all the tunings 😃

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #938 of 1,107
Listening to XTC on my XTCs this morning :L3000:.

Attachments

• XTC_-_Black_Sea_album_cover.jpg
    XTC_-_Black_Sea_album_cover.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #939 of 1,107
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #940 of 1,107
Quick comparison between the Rognir and XTC2.5 since I don't have a ton of time and I haven't even finished up my Rognir review yet (Maybe tomorrow.) The XTC2.5 with Wolfhawk tuning (I think) has more bass and less sibilance than the Rognir. The bass off the Rognir is totally acceptable and shouldn't upset anyone because it's very good, but it's not up to the JMA standard. The highs on the Rognir are a bit painful while the XTC2.5 I have doesn't have that issue. I would say that the Rognir definitely has a touch more treble than the XTC2.5, but it also has more sharpness and for some reason, the XTC2.5 portrays the cymbals more clearly still than the Rognir. The Rognir is just sharper on the highs. Mids on both are really good, but the Rognir feels a bit more flat than the 2.5 overall. Soundstage on both is excellent and I doubt anyone will be upset with either headphone as they're easily some of the best closed-backs out there. I'll likely end up ranking the Rognir behind the 2.5 though - they are lighter for sure and the Karelian Birch ones I have are freaking gorgeous, but I think the 2.5 sounds a bit better.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #941 of 1,107
IMG_5610.jpeg
There are other tunings that slip in between these such as Wolf Hawk Tuning - that’s right between near scalpel and warm yet detailed
Hi. I would like to purchase @rlawry 's XTC closed... can you perhaps change the tuning to Wolf Hawk?

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #942 of 1,107
Hi. I would like to purchase @rlawry 's XTC closed... can you perhaps change the tuning to Wolf Hawk?
I do retunings for all owners - sometimes tastes change and I get that - when owners sell the XTC for what ever reason- the new owner can send me those hp’s and I will retune no charge and upgrade parts as I see fit for free - but the new owner pays for shipping - if that makes sense - so short answer is yes of course -

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #943 of 1,107
I do retunings for all owners - sometimes tastes change and I get that - when owners sell the XTC for what ever reason- the new owner can send me those hp’s and I will retune no charge and upgrade parts as I see fit for free - but the new owner pays for shipping - if that makes sense - so short answer is yes of course -

Is there any way I could keep the tuning, but you officially give it a bad-ass name like Wolf Hawk too? "Hybrid Near Scalpel Tuning With Defined Detail and Bass" is a great tuning, but the name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I kinda wish it was called Shadowblade or something... :sunglasses:

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #944 of 1,107
Is there any way I could keep the tuning, but you officially give it a bad-ass name like Wolf Hawk too? "Hybrid Near Scalpel Tuning With Defined Detail and Bass" is a great tuning, but the name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I kinda wish it was called Shadowblade or something... :sunglasses:
😅😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back