JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #916 of 1,107
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #917 of 1,107
Do these burgers come with a line in? I tried plugging an aux cable into the patty of a recent burger I purchased, but I think they needed more “charge” in order to get sound from the burger. 🍔 The patty may have been overcooked.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #918 of 1,107
Do these burgers come with a line in? I tried plugging an aux cable into the patty of a recent burger I purchased, but I think they needed more “charge” in order to get sound from the burger. 🍔 The patty may have been overcooked.
😳 something/someone definitely overcooked 😂

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #919 of 1,107
Feb 20, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #920 of 1,107
Greetings all. I have a question to everyone (esp. John M.). What would I need or be recommended for the power/voltage requirements for the XTC Legend 300 ohm beryllium driver if anything special is needed? I hope I phrased the question correctly. Thank you for your help and insight.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #921 of 1,107
I am not sure exactly what the XTC legend driver is but would need to know what the sensitivity of the driver is. Usually this figure is enumerated in the number of decibels achieved for a given power input, i.e. 114 dB for 1 mW of power input from the amp. Since you have a preference for 300 ohm drivers, which due to the increased impedance requires almost 10X the power needed for a 32 ohm driver, I am guessing you plan to pair the phones with an OTL tube amp that needs a high load impedance to give a reasonable damping factor of the driver. If you don't plan to use them with an OTL amp you might want to strongly consider the use of a 32 or 64 ohm driver to reduce the demand on the partnering amplifier. Anyway, please find out the sensitivity of the 300 ohm driver in dB per 1 milliwatt and we can let you know how much power is needed to drive them to listening levels.

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #922 of 1,107
Greetings all. I have a question to everyone (esp. John M.). What would I need or be recommended for the power/voltage requirements for the XTC Legend 300 ohm beryllium driver if anything special is needed? I hope I phrased the question correctly. Thank you for your help and insight.
The Legend XTC is the open series headphone and users can choose 32, 64 or 300 ohm. My suggestion for 300 ohm is either a SET or OTL amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 20, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #923 of 1,107
Yes, if all drivers produce 109 dB or more per 1 mW, you probably really need only microwatts to drive them to listening levels, i.e. 80-90 dB. Even phones could drive them but sound quality is another issue entirely.

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #924 of 1,107
The Legend XTC is the open series headphone and users can choose 32, 64 or 300 ohm. My suggestion for 300 ohm is either a SET or OTL amp.
Thank you John. Would a 2wpc hybrid be ok also? Thx!

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #925 of 1,107
I am not sure exactly what the XTC legend driver is but would need to know what the sensitivity of the driver is. Usually this figure is enumerated in the number of decibels achieved for a given power input, i.e. 114 dB for 1 mW of power input from the amp. Since you have a preference for 300 ohm drivers, which due to the increased impedance requires almost 10X the power needed for a 32 ohm driver, I am guessing you plan to pair the phones with an OTL tube amp that needs a high load impedance to give a reasonable damping factor of the driver. If you don't plan to use them with an OTL amp you might want to strongly consider the use of a 32 or 64 ohm driver to reduce the demand on the partnering amplifier. Anyway, please find out the sensitivity of the 300 ohm driver in dB per 1 milliwatt and we can let you know how much power is needed to drive them to listening levels.
John has stated that the 300 ohm driver has a sensitivity of 109dB. Thx!

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #926 of 1,107
Yes, pretty much any amp will drive them to listening levels, although the amp quality will always affect sound quality.

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #927 of 1,107
Listening now - not like anything I'd listen to absolutely love it!!! These xtc 2.5s slam and punch with this!! The clarity, separation is awesome!!!

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #928 of 1,107
Yes, the RAAL SR-1b ribbon and Kennerton Rognir Planar magnetic phones both use faster drivers than the dynamic drivers in the XTC ^2.5 phones, so detail is greater on these phones. I wanted the XTC phones for those recordings that need greater bass and dynamics that only a dynamic driver can produce, such as Thin Lizzy's Renegade that just doesn't have the same impact with planar magnetic or ribbon phones, at least the ones I have.

The ^2.5 phones I have use what John calls "Wolf Hawk" tuning, whatever that is, but I would characterize their bass as compared to the 1.0 phones (64 ohm, nearly scapel tuning) as having less bass weight and more extended and tuneful. Maybe this will change with break-in. Personally, I find most phones to have way too much bass that overwhelms the rest of the sonic spectrum and makes for a quickly fatiguing listen and makes all music sound similar, i.e. bass, bass, and more bass slightly seasoned with a small amount of midrange and treble thrown in. Bass is great but IMO not when it overwhelms the rest of the music where most instruments and voices reside, and I find the bass of the ^2.5 to be Goldilocks, not too much (Papa Bear) or too little (Mama Bear), but just right.
"Wolf Hawk" tuning comes from a user that used to be on here named Wolfhawk46. He wrote some of the original reviews for John and I believe heavily influenced the tuning of the original XTCs. That was after he reviewed a set of the JM Kennertons and wanted tuning changes to decrease the boomy bass and increase the mids a bit. The more you know...:beyersmile:

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #929 of 1,107
Yes, pretty much any amp will drive them to listening levels, although the amp quality will always affect sound quality.
Here's the reason for so many questions: I'm the new proud owner of these beauties...finally....

IMG_1731.jpeg

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #930 of 1,107

Users who are viewing this thread

Back