JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Jun 17, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #271 of 1,423
I sent John a decently detailed email and he suggested the ^1.5s, has anyone heard the original Closed and the 1.5 Closed that could compare the 2? Reason being is the slightly lighter / smaller original may be my preference.

I listen to mostly EDM, some Rap and a little Pop.

I have owned both, and your choice will depend on the type of tuning you want; the biggest differences I noticed between the two are the increased soundstage and cleaner sound, while still maintaining that signature closed-back slam. If you are a bass-head and detail isn't at the very top of your list, you could get away with the original closed; but I say the XTC 1.5 is definitely worth the increase in price.

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #272 of 1,423
I have the original closed and was a bit disappointed regarding sound stage and separation, but it seems John resolved these with the new version being 64 ohms and using bellyrium, awaiting this new version which John should ship me soon.

Jun 17, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #273 of 1,423
I too would like to understand the differences between 1, 1.5 and 2, first then I'll take the closed

OT in your opinion, which iem could have a similar sound to an XTC? @John Massaria are you going to produce an iem?
No plans for IEM at this time or in future

Jun 18, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #274 of 1,423
I listen to mostly EDM, some Rap and a little Pop.

I have owned both, and your choice will depend on the type of tuning you want; the biggest differences I noticed between the two are the increased soundstage and cleaner sound, while still maintaining that signature closed-back slam. If you are a bass-head and detail isn't at the very top of your list, you could get away with the original closed; but I say the XTC 1.5 is definitely worth the increase in price.

I'm EDM / Classic Rock / Alternative / Punk / 80s & 90s Rap in that order. I do like my bass, but I also appreciate clarity / detail, separation and I'm not afraid of a little brightness. John suggested the XTC^1.5 and he had a cherry set which is what I was really hoping for, so I pulled this trigger this morning!

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #275 of 1,423
I received my XTC today and I recommend anyone who have XTC should try pad rolling. I tried all 3 pair and the sound has changed drastically. My favorite is a fluffy pad with cut out the fabric and headphone sound much better than before the change

Jun 18, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #277 of 1,423
I should receive mine soon, can you show a pic of this fluffy pad you mentioned.
This one is what I like most. You can see the driver because John cut the fabric.
But this is just my impression and not more. I recommend you to try all ear pads John sent you. You can do it without any payment of courses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #280 of 1,423
Jun 21, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #281 of 1,423
I’m thinking of getting the 1.5 closed back. I listen to mostly metal, hardcore, deathcore blah blah. What tuning would y’all suggest for those who have tried the headphone before?

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #283 of 1,423
I don't listen to that type of music much, mostly prog rock, classic rock, and jazz, but I would imagine you would want the most prominent bass tuning. I believe the standard 1.0 closed-back would give the most bass along with tuning to give the most bass.

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #284 of 1,423
Jun 21, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #285 of 1,423
If you don't have treble issues, you can choose between near scalpel and warm but detailed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back