JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
May 6, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #211 of 1,161
No I mean the measurements of the xtc
There would not just be a single measurement to this can as it is tailored to each individual preference. Mine would probably measure pretty good but I really couldn't care less they sound wonderful

@John Massaria A member of AudioScienceReview strongly disagrees with some of your innovation research. I think it would be great for you to chime in and have an open exchange of ideas to clear things up:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jm-audio-xtc.44210/post-1572778

Thanks!
That site isnt About good sound. It is about geeks who love numbers.

May 10, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #212 of 1,161
I received my open back xtc - detailed yet warm tuning today, with 4 pin xlr. I was used to the mm500 audeze, this was my daily driver since October last year. So I know how they sound. In the package there were 3 replacement ear pads which is really neat, but I think I will not need them anywhere soon, maybe I can reorder just the pads if I I ever need a pair , don’t know. I need to admit that my mm500 sounded in comparison tinny and smearing and not just as clear, and precise, in first listening they brought tears to my eyes, it was an incredible experience. I never expected to get such a high quality product for only 800 euros, I swear these must be one of the best headphones in the world and they even have beaten my mm500 with a fair amount. I will use them for producing music and DJing- drum and bass music.

Edit: at first hand I thought to let them measured by oratory but this isn’t necessary at all cause eq will always introduce a distorted perception of the headphones clarity.

Edit 2:
They go down to 10hz all the way up to 20 kHz

Thank you John you are the man.
IMG_1771.jpeg
IMG_1769.jpeg

May 10, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #213 of 1,161
I received my open back xtc - detailed yet warm tuning today, with 4 pin xlr. I was used to the mm500 audeze, this was my daily driver since October last year. So I know how they sound. In the package there were 3 replacement ear pads which is really neat, but I think I will not need them anywhere soon, maybe I can reorder just the pads if I I ever need a pair , don’t know. I need to admit that my mm500 sounded in comparison tinny and smearing and not just as clear, and precise, in first listening they brought tears to my eyes, it was an incredible experience. I never expected to get such a high quality product for only 800 euros, I swear these must be one of the best headphones in the world and they even have beaten my mm500 with a fair amount. I will use them for producing music and DJing- drum and bass music.

Edit: at first hand I thought to let them measured by oratory but this isn’t necessary at all cause eq will always introduce a distorted perception of the headphones clarity.

Edit 2:
They go down to 10hz all the way up to 20 kHz

Thank you John you are the man. IMG_1771.jpegIMG_1769.jpeg
You are too kind - thank you!

May 10, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #214 of 1,161
I need to admit that my mm500 sounded in comparison tinny and smearing and not just as clear, and precise

Hmm... Now THAT has my attention. Is it just more/better treble, or do the XTC also resolve better?

May 10, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #216 of 1,161
Oh my goodness. Just received my XTC open with the 64 ohm beryllium drivers with the warm yet detailed tuning. This is my 4th headphone tuned by John and once again I’m completely blown away! Bass is spectacular as always with John’s headphones and the vocals are to die for. Incredibly airy and detailed but never harsh or shouty. Incredible soundstage and instrument separation. Sounds fantastic on both my solid state amps and my tube amp. Have a feeling I’m going to be getting a little less sleep for a while. Lol Just want to keep trying one more song and one more song and one more song. So much fun!

Attachments

• IMG_5375.jpeg
    IMG_5375.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5374.jpeg
    IMG_5374.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5373.jpeg
    IMG_5373.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 10, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #217 of 1,161
anyone with the XTC have a channel imbalance? Mine seem to have a louder L channel; R channel seems to be quieter and not as loud, making all of the music shift to the left side. Not a deal-breaker, but it is definitely noticeable. I tried with both included cables and it is present in both. Emailed John to see if I can fix it myself...I know he will make things right. The ordering process was a breeze and he made things super easy to decide on.
Man that happened to me a few weeks back. Had both ears clogged with ear wax and an infection on my right side (all better now). Threw me for a loop!

May 14, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #218 of 1,161
A measurement has nothing to do with EQ, and EQ is about tweaking the gear to your tastes, nothing wrong about it. It won't distort the headphone clarity if you do it right, more like the opposite.

May 14, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #219 of 1,161
A measurement has nothing to do with EQ, and EQ is about tweaking the gear to your tastes, nothing wrong about it. It won't distort the headphone clarity if you do it right, more like the opposite.
Maybe I dont know how to do it, but I have always found EQ adds a little vail to the sound. I would never use it.

May 14, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #220 of 1,161
Maybe I dont know how to do it, but I have always found EQ adds a little vail to the sound. I would never use it.
It only adds a veil or distortion if the driver is being pushed too much or it is not done correctly (negative pre amp should be higher than the highest of all your frequency gains). Always better to EQ frequencies down and not up if possible as well since you can avoid needing higher negative pre amp then.

If you have the equipment and free time to do proper convulation filters it is going to sound better almost always because of not being able to tailor audio perfectly with hardware alone.

For me I don't EQ if the audio device is coherently tuned already because I can't be bothered, and it sounds great already. However, if the audio device is doing something wonky or lacking, I will definitely look for auto eq presets, or do manual if needed.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #221 of 1,161
Most headphones can be EQd without problems if you don't apply extreme values and use a negative preamp to avoid clipping.
The main problem with EQ nowadays is that people just use the autoeq profiles that adjust the FR to Harman.
Not all people like that and it could take away the personality of the headphones. The goal is to adjust it to your preferences, it isn't hard but it takes some practice.

May 16, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #224 of 1,161
I have been enjoying my Be XTC-C^1.5. Been using them every day during work since I've had them. Not fatiguing, very balanced sound........warm, yet detailed LOL. I really like the wood John send me for my cups too. I'll have to post a pic soon to show them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back