JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #61 of 1,108
I would defend my product as well. These headphones have more time, brains, sweat into them than I can ever know. I have been listening to my new headphones every day and got a more powerful amp that make them sound better. I posted on first day impressions w/ the ZMFs after listening to the XTC the past month. I will be keeping my ZMFs and researching a high end Tube amp to invest in. I'm not gonna retract my comments because that was my honest thoughts on first listen with an insufficient powered amp. I'm not a well versed audiophile and definitely not gonna pretend like I know all the lingo to review anything. I could care less. I learned today that I have no business commenting in this community, and won't again. I will buy a caldera someday. Peace out!
There’s several things to consider here. I have ZMF Atriums and JM Edition 2 Gjallarhorn and will be buying the open back JM from John and probably the ZMF Caldera. With that said I tried several amps and several pads with the Atriums . It’s funny I settled for now on a Schiit Mjolnir with upgraded tubes into a Sonnet Morpheus and I2S Hermes. It was until I swapped to the perforated BE2 pads the sound really opened up. On some amp pad combos they can sound veiled. With the proper pads and amp they are fantastic. I’m a sax player so tone and clarity are very important to me. I think if you jump out of the Atrium’s too fast you’re missing out on a terrific headphone.
John M has a fantastic ear so I know the XTC will be terrific. JM is the kind of guy you can lay your trust in. I’m excited to see what he can do with beryllium.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #63 of 1,108
Hey guys - really appreciate you trying our headphones.

One thing that has to be considered is that the dynamic ZMFs use 300 ohm drivers, the XTC and many other easy to drive dynamics are optimized for sources with super low impedance and their ceiling comes much sooner because of the lighter more excitable voice coil.

ZMFs (and many other high impedance headphones) with those same low impedance sources will sound muffled, as the voice coil is heavier and longer to get the high impedance. So if you plug the zmf into the same amp as a low impedance dynamic ofcourse the zmf will sound more damped, it literally is. This is also probably a big reason you liked the Caldera more of you listened to it on a similar amp, as the impedance and system is much lower and easier to driver with current vs higher voltage/impedance.

People think ZMFs sound best or are optimized for tubes because of this, which they aren't, they just need a lot of power without a super low damping factor for the 300 ohm output. They will change the tuning greatly and you also can alter the tuning slightly with different front meshes and pads.

I think what JM is going is awesome! I don't think derogatory comparisons are needed, as clearly the drivers and systems are very different for different audiences, and that's what's fun about audio!

We are creating easier drive headphones with lower impedance custom drivers as well as lesser priced planars that will have trickle down technology as well, which will be more similar to other lower impedance stuff out there.

Thanks guys.
Great explanation! What would you say the minimum power to drive the ZMF dynamic drivers?

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #64 of 1,108
Great explanation! What would you say the minimum power to drive the ZMF dynamic drivers?
There's probably a good thread about that somewhere. Specifically for the each model as well I imagine. Usually headphones get their own dedicated thread.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #65 of 1,108
They need about 80 mW at 300 ohms to get good volume and anything over that is headroom, they max out at around 300 mW at 30 ohms impedance. This is generalizing though.
There's probably a good thread about that somewhere. Specifically for the each model as well I imagine. Usually headphones get their own dedicated thread.
Yes totally agree, feel free to email me through our website, pm me, or check out our threads for any further info! This thread should be kept on topic about @John Massaria and his work!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #66 of 1,108
Just got the XTC-C Be with the Copperhead cable.

Immediate impressions.
Bigger soundstage, better bass than the EmuTeak and Heddphone
The EmuTeak seems to have better tone for vocals and details, XTC is warmer but elevates the vocals and places them on a stage, it hits harder, the Heddphone is obviously the king of treble detail out of these 3, the vocals on the Teak resemble the Heddphone more than the XTC.

I also have a pair of AKG371's and Beyer 250's - 250ohm floating around that Ill compare them to, when I get some time.

Ill have to play with my audio chain to find the right combination, i see potential of this headphone right off the bat, the bottom end brings more depth to recordings. There's also some brain adjustment that happens.
I have a 6922 input / 6080 tube amp that may be perfect for this headphone, ill come back and update as I make shifts with the audio gear.

@John Massaria What's this XTC Squared thing, a version with a bigger driver ? See prior comments :)

Audio Chain at the moment
Schiit Gumby (Gungnir Multibit) - Unison Usb Version + (Usb Audio Regen + Topping P50 Linear PSU) -> Custom Discrete Solid State Amplifier (Its effectively a Desktop upgraded version of the PPAv2 Amp Project with a Linear PSU and Amp on one board at 34v vs 24v - see https://elvencraft.com/ppav2/)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #67 of 1,108
Just got the XTC-C Be with the Copperhead cable.

Immediate impressions.
Bigger soundstage, better bass than the EmuTeak and Heddphone
The EmuTeak seems to have better tone for vocals and details, XTC is warmer but elevates the vocals and places them on a stage, it hits harder, the Heddphone is obviously the king of treble detail out of these 3, the vocals on the Teak resemble the Heddphone more than the XTC.

I also have a pair of AKG371's and Beyer 250's - 250ohm floating around that Ill compare them to, when I get some time.

Ill have to play with my audio chain to find the right combination, i see potential of this headphone right off the bat, the bottom end brings more depth to recordings. There's also some brain adjustment that happens.
I have a 6922 input / 6080 tube amp that may be perfect for this headphone, ill come back and update as I make shifts with the audio gear.

@John Massaria What's this XTC Squared thing, a version with a bigger driver ? See prior comments :)

Audio Chain at the moment
Schiit Gumby (Gungnir Multibit) - Unison Usb Version + (Usb Audio Regen + Topping P50 Linear PSU) -> Custom Discrete Solid State Amplifier (Its effectively a Desktop upgraded version of the PPAv2 Amp Project with a Linear PSU and Amp on one board at 34v vs 24v - see https://elvencraft.com/ppav2/)
The XTC² is a a very limited cup design with twice the cu sq area as the regular XTC- the XTC^1.5 is a cup size slightly larger as well but not quiet double of the standard XTC -

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #68 of 1,108
any comparisons between the XTC and LCD-XC? I really like the planar sound (esp from Audeze), but haven't heard a high(er) end dynamic except the HD800S (which I was not a fan of). thanks in advance.

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #69 of 1,108
You guys seen these sick one of a kind JM closed back XTC's? The XTC ^1.5. A tad larger than the standard XTC closed. Things are absurdly gorgeous.

😳

Attachments

• C4B33420-8A67-4ABF-A1CD-2AD842CEB8BD.jpeg
    C4B33420-8A67-4ABF-A1CD-2AD842CEB8BD.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #70 of 1,108
You guys seen these sick one of a kind JM closed back XTC's? The XTC ^1.5. A tad larger than the standard XTC closed. Things are absurdly gorgeous.

😳
Yes, I just saw this. They look awesome. I knew he was working on a new designs with partners. I think these are terrific.

Mar 25, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #74 of 1,108
The xtc open are so damn good I sold my he1000v2 which are my favorite headphones of all time. Obviously planars and DD's have a different sound but the XTC go toe to toe in amazing sound quality. Plus the XTC are more comfortable. I can wear them hours.
I received the XTC Open a few days ago, I find them fantastic and they are getting better every day. beautiful definition and tight basses, I wait for them to burn a little more for the highs, sometimes they seem too much. then I'm trying the various pads that John sent me

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #75 of 1,108
I received the XTC Open a few days ago, I find them fantastic and they are getting better every day. beautiful definition and tight basses, I wait for them to burn a little more for the highs, sometimes they seem too much. then I'm trying the various pads that John sent me
Treble is Perfect for me and I'm somewhat sensitive to upper Mids.

Do you have the biowool or beryllium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back