Jlab J4's for $40.00 worth it?
May 9, 2011 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bright

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Long time lurker, figured it's time to finally join. You've all been extremely helpful in the past without even knowing!

Right now I'm rocking the SR80's and love them. However, I've been looking for some IE's for work as the co-workers blasting techno at 3am gets a little old and need something easier than the Grados to take with me and something that's blocks more noise than a screen door. 

I don't exactly have a budget (that's a problem in and of itself), and I've always been in the camp that I'd rather save my money for something expensive and good then buy crap for a short time.

However, the other day I saw that these IE's popped up on Amazon for $40 instead of $89.00. 

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Earbuds-Headphones-Travel-Obsidian/dp/B0011TS8LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304921592&sr=8-1

My question is: For the $50.00 price difference, are they worth it? Or for $40, am I going to find a better product than these at $90?

I definitely wouldn't spend $90 on these, but $40 until I can buy something worth it doesn't seem so bad. 

Do I cancel my order or did I make a decent decision? 

Thanks!
-Brandon

May 9, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hey guys!

Long time lurker, figured it's time to finally join. You've all been extremely helpful in the past without even knowing!

Right now I'm rocking the SR80's and love them. However, I've been looking for some IE's for work as the co-workers blasting techno at 3am gets a little old and need something easier than the Grados to take with me and something that's blocks more noise than a screen door. 

I don't exactly have a budget (that's a problem in and of itself), and I've always been in the camp that I'd rather save my money for something expensive and good then buy crap for a short time.

However, the other day I saw that these IE's popped up on Amazon for $40 instead of $89.00. 

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Earbuds-Headphones-Travel-Obsidian/dp/B0011TS8LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304921592&sr=8-1

My question is: For the $50.00 price difference, are they worth it? Or for $40, am I going to find a better product than these at $90?

I definitely wouldn't spend $90 on these, but $40 until I can buy something worth it doesn't seem so bad. 

Do I cancel my order or did I make a decent decision? 

Thanks!
-Brandon

I haven't heard them but I'd suggest cancelling the order if possible.  The company slaps a high suggested retail price on them, so people will think they are getting a great deal because they turn up on the Amazon "bargain" list, when in fact they always sell for far less then the suggested retail.

May 9, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 5
Awesome. That's exactly what I thought I'd heard. =\

I just checked on Amazon and it's already in "Shipping Soon" page so I can't cancel. I can just refuse the package or return them after.

I guess I'll start researching and see what I can find. Any suggestions? I'd be willing to spend some more for now as long as they are worth it and wouldn't feel like I want to upgrade right away.

I'll read up on some reviews.

Edit: Just checked out the Head-Direct RE0 reviews and sounds like those might be just what I'm looking. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 5
I would have recommended that you keep them. I own a pair and I am very happy with them. The audio quality is very good and they're very sturdy. My pair lost vocals a few months in, however. This wasn't a problem as, even though I didn't have the original serial number, I was able to send them in to JLab to get a new one. Once I received the new serial it was easy to register the products and put in a warranty claim. The headphones arrived at my mail box a few (4 or 5 I think) days later. I would recommend you keep the headphones.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
 Just checked out the Head-Direct RE0 reviews and sounds like those might be just what I'm looking. 

Check out the MEElectronics A161P, same as the Fischer Audio SBA-03 but with an inline mic added. Gets a higher SQ rating (listed as the SBA) in joker's IEM Review page, and it's in a higher tier.  Great sound just as he describes. I've got a coupon code for 20% (PM me if you want it), making it the same price as the RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back