Jkenny MKIII vs. Modified Squeezebox Touch vs. ANY computer based solution vs. Nice Stable CD Platter/Transport
Aug 13, 2011 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Audioexcels

100+ Head-Fier
There's a load of options out there and the majority will obviously vouch for a computer based device such as the Jkenny MKIII or his latest DAC, a Squeezebox Touch modded, etc.other offerings.  But then we have the ole stable platters/cd transports.

Has anyone ever compared a Jkenny MKIII to a modded SBT and if not, can say in theory, which should be superior?  By modded SBT, I'm  referring to all the mods Soundcheck and others have done, as well as possible clocks, and so on and so forth.

OR....can someone tell me what they have used as a reference computer/digital based setup and how it compares to either Jkenny's MKIII or the modified SBT?

Lastly, what about standalone CD drives, with super stable platters, either found in standalone cdps/dvd players/or just plain standalone no frills, no nothing but a super nice stable cd drive.

I know the majority will rule out the cd player, but to those that still seem to get superior sound, and by superior, I mean night/day better sound from these types...have you spent your days/years of computer audio to only fall back to the good ole however ancient or new cdp transport?

Thanks for all contributions!!!

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Since these can be bought used for a fraction of their original cost why don't you buy them and report back on what you hear.

I am not sure that I have seen a Jkenny MKIII on the used market and the Squeezebox Touch goes for about $225-$250 which is about what a new one goes for on a sale.  As for transports, I have no idea which ones would be the ones to purchase on the used market.

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I meant get an stable platter cd-player and a used Touch to compare. The cheapest I have seen a used Touch was $200 including S&H. 

Ahhhh....gotcha.  What would you recommend as a reference level "sleeper" type of stable platter cdp to try out (meaning, costs $50-$500 Max), but is as good as anything else out there as a transport only.  I'll buy a used touch.  Now just have to find a used Jkenny MKIII and I think I would have my own answer, though it's always nice to hear about other's feelings on their own experience.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 10
So you want to compare the Jkenny MKIII I suppose being used with Windows or Mac....because it will not work with Linux.

To a modded SBT.

The modded SBT sounds very similar to a modded Linux machine...as it should because the SBT itself is a Linux machine.

To compare an accessory device to a whole tweaked operating system is not exactly Apples to Apples.  But I guess you can compare anything you want if so inclined.

Good luck and please post your findings.

Quote:
Has anyone ever compared a Jkenny MKIII to a modded SBT and if not, can say in theory, which should be superior?  By modded SBT, I'm  referring to all the mods Soundcheck and others have done, as well as possible clocks, and so on and so forth.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
So you want to compare the Jkenny MKIII I suppose being used with Windows or Mac....because it will not work with Linux.

To a modded SBT.

The modded SBT sounds very similar to a modded Linux machine...as it should because the SBT itself is a Linux machine.

To compare an accessory device to a whole tweaked operating system is not exactly Apples to Apples.  But I guess you can compare anything you want if so inclined.

Good luck and please post your findings.

Thanks Dynobot!  Since Jkenny offers a free in house trial, I figure shipping back/forth is worth it just to shake things up and see which one comes out as the "clear" winner.  I may even get Jkenny's DAC since I'd like to hear it against my reference pre/dac:)  I will then compare these to a stock Touch, a modded Touch with all mods posted by Soundcheck and others, and I may well get a Transporter for kicks:wink:

With my existing discount for the Touch/Transporter, I can easily get my money back for them.  Likewise, I'm only out shipping costs if going with the Jkenny devices.  That's a win-win for me because one of these MUST stand out "clearly" as the superior OR if they are all close enough-no great audible differences, I'll stick with the Touch for obvious cheap cost vs. the others:)

But I do still want to have a go at a decent transport like an Oppo, PS3 (don't laugh:)), one of the Pioneer Stable platters that can turn off everything when using it strictly as a digital transport, and cough cough, market pricing dependent, something from CEC.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Sounds like a plan...

Have fun and don't forget to post your findings.

Sure will do.  Everyone has their own opinion on sound, but it is not to say that my unbiased review would not dish up some fun:)  I have a highly transparent signal so any component that is inserted into the system either fits like a glove or throws everything off:)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back