jitter static USB diginoise DAC
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rmike

New Head-Fier
I am using a transport and dedicated Laptop/Foobar 2000 into Jolida Glass DAC III to playback CD's and FLAC up to 24/96.

I noticed sometimes when Im done listening to CD via coax and switch the DAC over to USB upon playback of a flac I get what I would imagine is jitter.... static / diginoise.

I then remove the USB from my laptop and reinsert and playback is then fine.

What am I experiencing here?

Ive never noticed the jitter using the coax.

Ive reinstalled USB drivers to no avail.
Foobar setting is for wasapi event and I have experimented with buffer from low to mid with no effect. The laptop is dedicated for just music and is stripped of all other applications.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 6
ok I have the term wrong. I am hearing static. removing and reinserting the usb stops it.
Could be a noisy USB port since it doesn't occur while using coax. You mentioned removing the USB port and reinserting it solves it? When does the issue reoccur after you do that?

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 6
I notice when I switch to USB after listening to coax for awhile.

When I remove and reinsert the dac clicks and grabs the signal again and its OK. Ive noticed this on all 3 USB ports on the laptop.

As for the noise, static is static. but the "diginoise" I hear is similar to what I would hear back in the 80's and 90's listening to a poorly mastered or degraded PCM/Beta or DAT tape. Kind of like a digital ringing.

Im wondering if this kind of thing is one of the reasons some folks use USB to coax converter??

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 6
I notice when I switch to USB after listening to coax for awhile.

When I remove and reinsert the dac clicks and grabs the signal again and its OK.

static is static. but the "diginoise" I hear is similar to what I would hear back in the 80's and 90's listening to a poorly mastered or degraded PCM/Beta or DAT tape. Kind of like a digital ringing.

Im wondering if this kind of thing is one of the reasons some folks use USB to coax converter??
I use USB all the time, never had an issue with it.
If possible, try to isolate the device which is causing the issue. Try using another device via USB to see if switching between coax and USB still causes the ringing or static. It's much easier to solve an issue if you know where it is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back