jitter question
Sep 21, 2004 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mekanoplastik

500+ Head-Fier
i have scored a free panasonic xv-10 dvd player, while looking for reviews i found this review where it is compared to other players, in the review they measure the “audio jitter” and the xv-10 happens to be the best of the group, with a score of 180ps (??).

My questions is, does this measurement rates the quality of the unit as transport?...and also, is this a low score for a dvd player...or would it also be considered good for cd transport?

In the review they state that the audio output is bad...and they are almost right..it is not bad...it is terrible, but i will be using it as transport with a external dac, so i dont care.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mekanoplastik
My questions is, does this measurement rates the quality of the unit as transport?

That'd be a better question for the reviewer, because (from what I could tell by my quick read of the article) they don't go into any detail about how they measure jitter. In my somewhat limited experience, jitter is usually measured at the digital out, but the only thing that really matters is the amount of jitter at the DAC chip. Did they open the player up and hook up a 'scope to the clock? Need more details.

Quote:

...and also, is this a low score for a dvd player...or would it also be considered good for cd transport?

180ps is pretty good. There's some new research out there which says that jitter is audible down to 2-3ps, but that's an almost science fictitious amount of jitter for 95% of the systems out there.

Trouble is, it doesn't really matter how much jitter is being generated by the DVD player itself (although I'm sure lower is better), because most of the worst, audible kind of jitter comes from the s/pdif interface. You hook the thing up to an outboard DAC, and the jitter at the input on the DAC will be much higher than in the signal as it left the transport. The only real way to deal with jitter is at the DAC itself, usually through some kind of reclocker.

Now the question you have to ask yourself is, "this is a player I got for free, is jitter something I really want to be freaked out about?" Jitter is real, but difficult to measure and the only opinions that I've read (that I trust) about how it sounds are from audio professionals with extremely well trained ears. Do you really want to go to the trouble of training yourself to hear jitter? It'll only lead to you convincing yourself that your gear sucks and cost you more money (or you could just buy a Benchmark and be done with it).

I'm certain my system has jitter through the roof, but it sounds awesome to me, it fires me up! If you're curious about outboard DACs, go ahead and try a cheap one, but don't forget to enjoy the music!

Sep 21, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks Clarke68, that is exactly what i wanted to know, also, i agree with you about the importance of enjoying whatever system i got and relax about porssible problems - specially when i can not afford a "stereophile class a" system
tongue.gif
-, but it also feels good to know i own a technically correct source
wink.gif

about the cheap dac...check the thread....i am there
tongue.gif

...now i have to go...i have to search for info about "reclocking" ...just in case
icon10.gif

Sep 21, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

about the cheap dac...check the thread....i am there
tongue.gif

So you are...nice running into you again!

Quote:

...now i have to go...i have to search for info about "reclocking" ...just in case
icon10.gif

The aftermarket unit I'd recommend is the Tent Labs XO-DAC. Not that I've heard it, but the specs sure are good, and Pat at Analog Research (one of two TentLabs dealers in the U.S.) is great to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back