Jimmy Smith
Jan 4, 2006 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fante7

500+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine recently played an old Jimmy Smith LP for me, and I really enjoyed it. I love the classic Hammond organ sound. Any recommendations on which Jimmy Smith albums to start with?

Jan 4, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 13
I'd suggest a few of his Blue Note albums: The Sermon, Back at the Chicken Shack and Midnight Special. The definitive Jimmy Smith song is the 20+ minute title track on The Sermon. Back at the Chicken Shack features some good tenor work by Stanley Turrentine and is my favorite of his albums. Midnight Special is another real good option recorded on the same day using the same personnel as Chicken Shack. I'd go with Chicken Shack/Midnight Special, but The Sermon is probably the most popular choice.

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaolinRasta
I'd suggest a few of his Blue Note albums: The Sermon, Back at the Chicken Shack and Midnight Special. The definitive Jimmy Smith song is the 20+ minute title track on The Sermon. Back at the Chicken Shack features some good tenor work by Stanley Turrentine and is my favorite of his albums. Midnight Special is another real good option recorded on the same day using the same personnel as Chicken Shack. I'd go with Chicken Shack/Midnight Special, but The Sermon is probably the most popular choice.

I'll second what ShaolinRasta says -- I'm not familiar with all those albums, but he sounds like he knows of which he speaks.

To that list, I'd add Home Cookin' from 1958 with Kenny Burrell.

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 13
you absolutely MUST get Root Down LIVE!

B00004UAQS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

not only is it a superb album, but it's very well recorded.

Root Down captures a rare instance when Smith gets seriously funky, letting it all loose. it's a great contrast to his historically restrained, classic style, and really reveals his full influence, beyond jazz, on funk and soul music.

albums like The Sermon and House Party and Back at the Chicken Shack are also brilliant, essential albums... more indicative of the understatement that marks smith's style.

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Add this to the list: Joey DeFrancesco with Jimmy Smith - Legacy

I believe this was the last album J. Smith recorded before he died.

One of my favorite B3 players is Robert Walters. His band is Robert Walters 20th Congress. You may want to check out their album, Giving Up the Ghost. I've seen him live 4 times last year.

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the feedback guys! I was thinking of getting Root Down but I wasn't sure what people thought about it, and I think you guys have made my decision. I will try to check out the others as well, especially the Blue Note ones mentioned.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
Thanks for the feedback guys! I was thinking of getting Root Down but I wasn't sure what people thought about it, and I think you guys have made my decision. I will try to check out the others as well, especially the Blue Note ones mentioned.

excellent... report back here on your opinions!

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Well Root Down arrived yesterday and I'm listening to it for the first time now. This is great stuff! It seems like the performers are having a lot of fun, but they are also relaxed and confident. I also can't believe how good it sounds, considering that it was recorded in 1972. The drums in particular sound tight and dynamic, and all of the instruments sound clean and have their own natural-sounding space in the soundstage. The sound is warm and the instruments have life to them. I don't hear any hiss, and yet it does not seem that this recording was no-noised.

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 13
I agree with "The Sermon". "Cool Blues" and "House Party" are also good starters. If you like Jimmy Smith you might also check our Richard "Groove" Holmes - "Live on Basie's Bandstand" would be a good place to start With "Groove" Holmes.

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Interesting that you mention "The Sermon". I just one a Audiogon auction of supposedly mint Jazz albums with Jimmy's The Sermon included in the group.
I have a lot of his stuff, but don't know that one. I traded JMT for some of his duplicate JS's last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back