Jimmy Page 60 Today
Jan 9, 2004 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Xanadu777

Member of the Trade: Headphile
Headphone Modder Extraordinaire
Anyone else feeling a little old on Jimmy's 60th B-Day? Zep II was one of my first albums as a youth in the 60's and I still enjoy it to this day. What a guitarist, what a band... Happy Birthday Jimmy!

Jan 9, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 14
Hey it's my birthday too! Perhaps there is a link between him and me; that's probably why I'm such a guitar God!
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Xanadu777
Anyone else feeling a little old on Jimmy's 60th B-Day? Zep II was one of my first albums as a youth in the 60's and I still enjoy it to this day. What a guitarist, what a band... Happy Birthday Jimmy!

It doesn't take someone elses birthday to make me feel old. I just look around at work. Oh well, I have something they never will, I remember Zeppelin from live concerts.

Jan 10, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
It doesn't take someone elses birthday to make me feel old. I just look around at work. Oh well, I have something they never will, I remember Zeppelin from live concerts.

...you saw Zep ...L I V E ?

eek.gif

What was it like: the show, the crowd, the acid
tongue.gif
?

Jan 10, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
...you saw Zep ...L I V E ?

eek.gif

I actually saw them 3 times. The first time they were the opening band for Vanilla Fudge. Concerts then were phenomenal at least that is how I remember them. We had an in for tickets and I always was in the first 5 or so rows. Speakers were on the stage not all over pointing every direction as in some places now. The shows were about the music not theatrical and special effects. To get a sense of how it was listen to How the West Was Won. The crowds as I recall were far more into the music screaming and yelling between songs not during. To be honest I was never into the drugs so I saw the stupidity of it from a different angle. A few beers took the edge off though. Seattle has always been a great place for concerts and I saw some of the greats there.

Jan 10, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 14
60? Scary!

A friend of mine saw Zep live...some dorfus set off a firecracker near his ear. Now he still can't use headphones because of permanent tinnitus. And that was in the old days before one could sue for a zillion dollars...

Jan 10, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Seattle has always been a great place for concerts and I saw some of the greats there.

I wish I had seen them though their 2003 5 hour+ DVD set is a nice concellation. Jimmy put his heart into producing this and it shows, a must Zep have IMO. Speaking of Seattle, I could swear my brother (deceased or I'd ask) saw them at a small North Seattle club called Parker's in Zep's early days in the USA (60's). Anyone confirm they were there?

Jan 10, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Xanadu777
Speaking of Seattle, I could swear my brother (deceased or I'd ask) saw them at a small North Seattle club called Parker's in Zep's early days in the USA (60's). Anyone confirm they were there?

I do not think they were there. They were at the Greenlake Aquatheatre. In 68 they went from Seattle to Vancouver the next night. They were in Woodinville at the 69 Pop concert that Summer.

Jan 10, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

They were at the Greenlake Aquatheatre.

That's the one, thanks! I remember seeing a photo of that show somewhere....

Early day Heart was the one at Parkers.

Jan 10, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 14
My wife got to see them at an amusement park in Florida,Aug. 1969, right after their 1st album came out.It was included in the admission price to the park! Only problem was she was stuck seeing them with her parents and grandparents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back