JH16Pro: Pico vs Protector
Dec 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

andyph666@gmail.com

New Head-Fier
So I just recently got the jh 16 pro. Should I get the pico slim or protector? I'll be pairing it with the ipod nano, n900 and perhaps a hm602. I don't have a desktop rig. Not sure if I should go with portability or the best sound. I mean should I just use a hm602 and pair it with the jh16 when out and then get a protector, or I could get the pico slim and use it for everything cause it is so small.

After reading countless posts, I still can't make up my mind. Help please? hehe.

Pico slim
- High battery life
- Very Portable
- Sound is great but not the best
- Digital volume pot for good low level listening?

Protector
- Balanced
- Requires Balanced cable (seems a little clunky and inconvenient especially with balanced to 3.5 mm adapter, judging by the pics it looks like the balanced end is right angle so adding a cable to the right ankle just makes it weird in the pockets? Any input on this?
- Best sound? Good match apparently for jh 16 pro in balanced.
- Quite big and probably too big for pocket? Haven't used one.

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 3
Hmm, if you asked me a month ago, I would say Protector.  But now it is a real toss up.  I have both of them and I have been listening to both.  Both are very nice with a different take.  One factor that I will consider is if this is you only portable amp, I might tend to lean toward the Protector as it can drive a number of bigger phones. I have six to seven portable amps and the Slim is just way too cute for me to let go.  I am holding on to my slim and p51.  I have sold the Predator and SR71a within the last month.  The slim and the Nano six paired together will give you a wow factor and chance to show off some miniature wonders.  But both sounds real good and close.  If you have a chance to hear them for yourself will be the best way to go.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 3
For me ...

hifiman 601 (no usb out) and 602 (with usb out if that matters) give you a better source than ipod but not as good an amp as Pico or Protector - but it is all-in-one portable solution that sounds very good (probably at par with ipod/amp) - of course 801 would sound better than any of the above - but it gets bulky and battery life is not so great ...

Go balanced if it is for sit down on desk type listening ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back