JH13Pro just arrived... Amp/DAC search begins
Dec 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D10's DAC via USB is not as good as the Pico's DAC.

I would probably agree if talking solely about the dac section, but its not by much and upgraded caps in the power rail bring this closer too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the d4 using just usb? Im in the same boat but with UM mages instead of JH13's.

congrats to the OP im loving mine as well.

yeah havent heard it either, but on paper it should be better than the D10 and it can put out a little more power to the opamps, so some hungrier opamps could be used

Quote:

Originally Posted by yunaforever009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you both so much!

qusp, do you think that the variables of the opamps and buffers is something that a neophyte to amps can figure out? I've never used an amp or dac before, just headphones with different sources.

well yeah sure, it might take you a little bit to find the right combo, but the act of swapping opamps is really pretty simple; then later you can play around with tweaking them as wel; like class A mods (only of benefit to some opamps, not all) compensation etc. there are quite a few of us JH13 owners using the D10 and now D4, so there are plenty of people who will be able to help you out with choices. its fun too!! and not a tiny bit addictive. then last thing would be to actually put your dac under the knife to change caps; that can come later, but the brave are certainly rewarded
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone was a neophyte at one time. Everyone. :^)

indeed!

Quote:

Neophyte turned addict you mean? =D

that about covers it yes
icon10.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #19 of 27
Yea, but I think you have to invest in the D10 to make it sound as good, because stock, to my ears, the Pico beat it via usb Easily. I don't know how much more that is, but it prob isn't 225 dollars more.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #20 of 27
yea I cant say I ever really listened to the D10 totally stock by USB, there was always upgraded opamps in there. the stock opamps are a little ordinary IMO and react to RF too much for my liking, so they had to go. to upgrade the D10 to the point i'm at now is about $150-160USD plus shipping for the various parts. now of course since i've experimented with many different combinations of opamps and buffers i've probably spent another 150+ but i'm a bit of an extreme case
rolleyes.gif
and I went top shelf on pretty much everything including the opamp adapters, HiC resistors and bypass caps. you could get away with around 100-120 all-in and sound pretty much the same and if you got samples for the opamps and buffers
evil_smiley.gif
that would wipe 50-60 off (but I didnt say that now did I guys)

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the RSA Predator list price, you could get BOTH an iBasso D4 and T3 -- a D4 for your laptop, and a T3 for your iPhone. Not saying you should, but if you're thinking about Predator, it seems perhaps worth a thought.

that's not only what I would do but did...they are fantastic and the D4 has a nicer DAC than the predator

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Why not a D4 for both the iPhone and the laptop?

Probably just for more portability and the D4 battery out of the box is 9volt and only lasts about 9 hours. Plus the DAC doesnt do anything for the iphone so your just using the amp anyways and im sure the T3 is comparable to the D4's amp. I could be wrong though.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #25 of 27
hmmmm...... better usb dac yes, but that has already been covered. dont know what the other OT is about. i'm on the list for the slim too, but that has no relevance here IMO

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #27 of 27
between my hifiman and my iqube v2 i am tremendously happy, and my d10 has gotten no burn whatsoever. I only used it VERY lightly for a few weeks, so if you want it PM me an offer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back