JH13Pro just arrived... Amp/DAC search begins
Dec 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

yunaforever009

Head-Fier
I just received my JH13's on Monday and am in absolute love with them. Their sound is just so... rich. Their is an almost syrupy substance to the sound that comes out of these monitors. And then I plugged them into my laptop... and the defecation hit the ventilation, so to speak. The 3.5mm jack is jack-of-no-trades, creating a very perceptible hiss. So, I'm going to simply try to find a good USB-DAC and Amp combo, one that is also portable so I can use it with a LOD on my iPhone. (Hopefully Lithium rechargeable?)

Any recommendations? I am trying to stay below 300 and have been looking at the D10 or the D4 or, I can wait and get the RSA Predator. I am looking for a clear and non-fatiguing amp/dac, something either neutral or warm. I don't have S/PDIF or Coaxial out, so just 3.5 mm in/out and usb in are necessary. Help...?

=)

Thanks all!

(Oh, and thanks to Skylap and HeadphoneAddict in advance for their very insightful review series!)

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 27
Just remember the other costs. $20+ shipping to begin with, and for the D4 if you want to use it on the go, the addition of batteries or rechargeables and a charger for them. I've been quite happy with my D4 though.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 27
If you want the king of warm, save for the Pico DAC/Amp. Warm, detailed, smooth.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by yunaforever009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the differences between a predator and a pico and a D10 be huge?

I'm first trying to find a great amp, then a good USB DAC, between the pico and predator, which comes out on top?

On the D10 it is a matter of what opamps you choose and between the Predator and Pico your own preference. I have seen either the Predator or Pico as rated as the better combo, depending upon individual preference.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 27
IMO the D10 is not only cheaoper, but actually a superior package to the predator and pico. in fact the preds dac section leaves a bit to be desired IMO

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 27
At the RSA Predator list price, you could get BOTH an iBasso D4 and T3 -- a D4 for your laptop, and a T3 for your iPhone. Not saying you should, but if you're thinking about Predator, it seems perhaps worth a thought.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by yunaforever009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you expound on that qusp? I know that Headphoneaddict placed the d10 above the pred. and pico, but I won't be using co-axial or optical, just amp and USB.

not sure if the expound was a joke or not, but either way it was funny. yeah my typing is too fast for my brain
wink.gif

ok well the predator has a pretty decent amp section, everyone knows that. its sound sig is not really my cup of tea and takes a long time of burn in to reach its best (something I dont have the patience for anyway) but some people love its warm sound; but the dac is based on the PCM270X chip I think. basically the usb->i2s receiver is doing the dac duties as well, not sure because ray is a bit tight-lipped on what goes into his gear. either way the dac section is not the strength of the predator.

the pico has a great little dac and a nice amp, high build quality etc, but its a little pricey compared to the D10 and i'm not sure the amp section; good as it is, is quite up to a fully decked out (topkit or otherwise) D10. I owned the pico amp only and enjoyed it a great deal, but sold it when I got the D10 and havent looked back.

the D10 (and to a larger extent the D4 because of its dual dacs and slightly higher current capability) not only has a very nice dac section based on the same wolfston dac chip as the pico, but its also very flexible as far as tuning the amp section to your taste. the ability to roll opamps and buffers means that you can find a combination that is tuned specifically to your other gear. i'm running 2 x OPA211 (with bypass caps for compensation because its a very fast chip) in the amp position and 4 x hiC BUF634 in the buffers. I run it mainly by optical portable, but it still sounds great by USB, not quite as good, but I would say dac performance is only just under the pico by USB and above the predator. with the mods however, the D10 amp section leaps ahead of the pico and predator IMO. the dac between pico and D10 via USB is VERY close, they use the same receiver too, but the implementation is slightly in favour of the pico, but not enough to make up for the areas it falls short, including price.

now if you throw in the ability to use optical and coax as well, then that kicks it up another notch; add the fully tweaked amp section and upgraded caps like mine and the gap is considerable to these ears.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D10's DAC via USB is not as good as the Pico's DAC.

what about the d4 using just usb? Im in the same boat but with UM mages instead of JH13's.

congrats to the OP im loving mine as well.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 27
Thank you both so much!

qusp, do you think that the variables of the opamps and buffers is something that a neophyte to amps can figure out? I've never used an amp or dac before, just headphones with different sources.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 27
Everyone was a neophyte at one time. Everyone. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back