JH13 Pro: amp or no amp?
Jan 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using an E5 w/the JH-13? I may just try that -.-

May I offer you my E5 for just 5% of JH13 price?
(it would give nice profit for me
icon10.gif
)

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #17 of 25
Back to the original question: JH13 at relatively low levels, does an amp provide a definate improvement? Other opinions? (and if the majority say yes, which SMALL amp would be best)? So far it is bass boost vs no need for bass boost. What about overall sound?

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Relatively low level doesn't mean much when we don't know what it's relative to. You gotta give some perspective.

For example, using my JH13 out of my iTouch (which has 16 steps), I'm only on the 4th of 5th step.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #19 of 25
maybe his idea of bass/impact is different. The UM3X does have a large and pronounced/forward mid-bass hump that I found to be bothersome and sold my UM3X. But I guess some people LIKE that.. and they should stay as westone heads
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I offer you my E5 for just 5% of JH13 price?
(it would give nice profit for me
icon10.gif
)

I already own an E5. And I got it for 2% of the JH13's msrp price.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nive avatar DeusEx, BTW I'm working at Eidos Montreal
wink.gif

at Eidos?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Relatively low level doesn't mean much when we don't know what it's relative to. You gotta give some perspective.

For example, using my JH13 out of my iTouch (which has 16 steps), I'm only on the 4th of 5th step.

Moderate = Volume line on my iPod Clasic 9/16" (out of 20/16") from zero. So lets say slightly less than 1/2 volume. That is with my M-Audio ie40s. Don't have the JH13 Pro yet.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #24 of 25
with regards to amplifying an IEM. I notice improved dynamics and control with an amplifier at low volume. It is kind of cliche, but "everything" improves. A more full sound with better separation, staging, imaging... It all comes down to the amplifier being able to control the armature better.

Now things COULD get worse if the amplifier works against the flaws of the IEM. Kind of like the FiiO E5 on say... a X10 or IE8, something with plenty of bass to begin with (IMO)

YMMV :p

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe his idea of bass/impact is different. The UM3X does have a large and pronounced/forward mid-bass hump that I found to be bothersome and sold my UM3X. But I guess some people LIKE that.. and they should stay as westone heads
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually you're right, coming from the UM3X I didn't really give myself time to get used to the bass of the JH13. I decided to listen to it for a while without the bass boost feature of the E5 and It doesn't sound bad. I recall it sounding weaker when I first listen to it actually. The poster who stated that the JH13 becomes veiled with the E5 was right, it becomes slightly veiled but it's noticeable. I suppose that coming from the UM3X's sound signature I was so used to it that the more neutral JH13 sounded weaker. The mid bass hump of the UM3X is what I was looking for but after listening without the E5 for several hours I've decided that it sounds better without it. I guess I should have given myself more time to get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back