JH Layla - full sized equivalent required...
Aug 13, 2015 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

Having gone through a tour of most of the TOTL headphones, I still haven't found any that touch the integrity and tonality of the Layla...

Is there ANYTHING out there that would satisfy me or should I just use my IEMs for all applications?

FWIW the nearest I got was the Grado PS1000 but they had a cranky tonality in the lower treble to these ears...

Rest of system isn't important right now, am happy to rebuild my home setup based around the headphones, although in the interim will be driven by Hugo.

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 6
My personal opinion is that the Layla sounds somewhere between the LCD-3 and the HD800, with a somewhat stronger leaning towards the LCD-3 side than the HD800.

...which is a bit odd because I believe people have mentioned the LCD-3 to be somewhat dark, which doesn't seem to be the case with my pair. Perhaps that has something to do with my lack of burn-in (my LCD-3 probably has like <10 hours on it) or it's just variability in the drivers. I don't think it is due to my personal preferences, as I have a liking for treble heavy headphones like the KAEDE.

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 6
Definitely give HE1000 a try :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I've only listened to the universal version of them for about 30 minutes, so I may not have the handle on it's true nature, but they reminded me so much of a well driven SR-007.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks all :)

Some interesting directions to check, looking forward to CanJam :)

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm searching for the similar thing .. but after so many tests, I ended up with custom JH Layla for my regular daily job.

When you get used to work on (listen to) the custom in-ears, I suppose there is no way back to over ear headphones anymore.
Basically they sits 'inside your head' which is completely different game, than any other experience with listening to speakers from any distance or to over head headphones. 

Sadly I had no chance to find out another reference sounding headphones (no matter the price) which can deliver what Layla is capable of. At least to my ears. 
+ not mentioning the fact, Layla is superb portable small piece, you can travel with anywhere in your carry-on luggage. Compared to any of those HE1000/LCD-X/LCD-3/HD800 bulky boxes where you (mostly) need also some external powered amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back