JH Audio - Sharona - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #496 of 534
Hi All,

I'm excited. Tomorrow I'll be getting ear molds for my first set of Custom IEMs. I had a great talk with AJ a couple weeks ago and after a lot of reading online, have decided to go with the Sharonas.

I was just wondering, from all you experts in this space, if you have any tips and tricks to make the process as simple as possible.

Gotta say, Love the JH Audio sound after using Angies for the past several years and I'm very eager to hear the best they have to offer.

Nov 13, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #497 of 534
Hi All,

I'm excited. Tomorrow I'll be getting ear molds for my first set of Custom IEMs. I had a great talk with AJ a couple weeks ago and after a lot of reading online, have decided to go with the Sharonas.

I was just wondering, from all you experts in this space, if you have any tips and tricks to make the process as simple as possible.

Gotta say, Love the JH Audio sound after using Angies for the past several years and I'm very eager to hear the best they have to offer.
The most crucial thing is an audiologist experienced in making moulds for musicians. Some audiologists only know how to take partial ear impressions for smaller hearing aids. They might not be able to take full moulds, and they might not be able to spot bad moulds that need to be redone. If you’re not making your impressions directly at JH, go to one of the recommended audiologists on their website.

Besides that, it’s as easy as packing them safely and sending them over to JH. All the best with the process!

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #499 of 534
Hi All,

Good choice in the Sharona’s. When I got my ear impressions done it was a bit of a process. The first ones weren’t quite what they needed at JH, so I had to take a second run at it and get them redone. I live in Boise so there wasn’t anyone on their recommended list on the website. The woman who did mine did a great job though and was patient with getting them exactly how we needed. The second time I went in she actually took the mold 3 times and two of them we sent to JH. I will say that AJ was super cool and helpful during that process and the neat thing he did was have me call him and then text him pictures of the molds real time so he could try and tell if they were going to be what they needed them to be, while I was still at the audiologist. That was very helpful. And that second time we got em right and now I have a Jolene and a Sharona.

I will also add, just from my personal perspective, please get the Sharona with the 7 pin cable if they still offer it, or at least the 4 pin cable. You really want the bass adjustment on these earphones. They are very, very bassy when wide open. I always have opted for the 7 pin because that connector is so beefy and tough. It’s my favorite iem connection. It may not be available anymore, not sure why, but I don’t see it on the website anymore. Anyways, I found the Sharona to be way too bass forward with the bass pod turned up all the way up, which I understand to be how they will sound with the 2 pin cable and no bass pod. It really took me time to get the bass set right with the Sharona’s, and a lot of listening. Even went through a phase where I wasn’t super happy with them. But once I got that set where I needed it to be, and I don’t know, maybe there was some burn in that happened… not sure if I believe in that. But once I had that bass set right… these are the best, most natural and beautiful sounding iems or headphones I have ever heard. They are absolutely wonderful. I think you’ll love them, I sure do… they blow me away all the time still, and I’ve had them for a year at least… I adore these iems, and they walk all over the Roxanne and the Jolene. And I love those too. But, out of the box… way too much bass. Get the 4 pin cable so you can adjust that to your taste. They’re incredibly good and I think you’ll really enjoy them. 😊

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #500 of 534
Good choice in the Sharona’s. When I got my ear impressions done it was a bit of a process. The first ones weren’t quite what they needed at JH, so I had to take a second run at it and get them redone. I live in Boise so there wasn’t anyone on their recommended list on the website. The woman who did mine did a great job though and was patient with getting them exactly how we needed. The second time I went in she actually took the mold 3 times and two of them we sent to JH. I will say that AJ was super cool and helpful during that process and the neat thing he did was have me call him and then text him pictures of the molds real time so he could try and tell if they were going to be what they needed them to be, while I was still at the audiologist. That was very helpful. And that second time we got em right and now I have a Jolene and a Sharona.

I will also add, just from my personal perspective, please get the Sharona with the 7 pin cable if they still offer it, or at least the 4 pin cable. You really want the bass adjustment on these earphones. They are very, very bassy when wide open. I always have opted for the 7 pin because that connector is so beefy and tough. It’s my favorite iem connection. It may not be available anymore, not sure why, but I don’t see it on the website anymore. Anyways, I found the Sharona to be way too bass forward with the bass pod turned up all the way up, which I understand to be how they will sound with the 2 pin cable and no bass pod. It really took me time to get the bass set right with the Sharona’s, and a lot of listening. Even went through a phase where I wasn’t super happy with them. But once I got that set where I needed it to be, and I don’t know, maybe there was some burn in that happened… not sure if I believe in that. But once I had that bass set right… these are the best, most natural and beautiful sounding iems or headphones I have ever heard. They are absolutely wonderful. I think you’ll love them, I sure do… they blow me away all the time still, and I’ve had them for a year at least… I adore these iems, and they walk all over the Roxanne and the Jolene. And I love those too. But, out of the box… way too much bass. Get the 4 pin cable so you can adjust that to your taste. They’re incredibly good and I think you’ll really enjoy them. 😊
Thanks Radiocalm! I'll definitely be asking for the 4-pin at minimum. I love the base pod on my Angies and really relied on it to dial me in perfectly. I probably have them set slightly lower than others that I've seen (approx 1:00-1:15) as I'm not a Basshead per se. But I do love me a well-rounded, deep base.

I'll email AJ before tomorrow's appointment to see if he's good with image texts as we finish them. Good insight.

Holy Crap!! And even better
1699903771294.png

Nov 14, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #502 of 534
Hey, thanks Deezel! I appreciate the insight :)

I agree with Deez and also an experienced IEM audiologist will help coach you. Do read and absorb JHA's website instructions card for impressions and also this thread so you know what to expect (as much as is possible to until you get in the room). Do not feel you have to be rushed out of there sometimes a second impression needs to be taken on the spot. Oh and make sure your ears have been cleaned before going (properly or professionally, no cotton buds!)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thi...-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit.578855/

Nov 14, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #503 of 534
I agree with Deez and also an experienced IEM audiologist will help coach you. Do read and absorb JHA's website instructions card for impressions and also this thread so you know what to expect (as much as is possible to until you get in the room). Do not feel you have to be rushed out of there sometimes a second impression needs to be taken on the spot. Oh and make sure your ears have been cleaned before going (properly or professionally, no cotton buds!)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thi...-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit.578855/
Great Link! Thanks LFC, I'm heading in in about an hour and will have the audiologist help clean before impressions. Watched a great video on Youtube a well.

Nov 16, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #504 of 534
First off, @AJ DiMambro is awesome and I can't recommend him enough when it comes to accommodating a newb :)

I ended up going with the Hyper Black earpiece and 7-pin black cable terminating at a 4.4mm balanced plug. Everything is set in motion now and earmolds are on the way to the JHA offices. Should be there tomorrow. I'm giddy with excitement. Although, for someone who is big on instant gratification, these next few weeks are gonna be rough :wink:

Thanks all for the feedback and help. And if anyone lives north of Seattle, I got a great audiologist who got it right. Just let me know :)

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #505 of 534
Thought I'd share a quick photo and a thought on the Sharona. Have had mine for about a month now and I'm done buying in ear headphones. As my first CIEM, I think I hit the jackpot and my wallet will thank me. And, bucket list item complete.

I'm really loving the sound. My previous JHAudio experience was the Angie Universals and the Sharona were the upgrade I was looking for. I spend about an hour to two at night listening. The only complaint I have is the ability of these Sharonas to show me that half my library needs to be re-ripped at higher quality. Probably the first time I've heard that much of a difference between MP3 and FLAC. Luckily, I started ripping to FLAC a couple years ago, but I have a lot of music at much lower resolution from many, many years back. And with the vinyl listening, wow. Great sound all around. I can't get into specific technical detail about what I hear, but I can say I'm extremely happy with these. Took a chance on these and hit the lottery.

Sharona.jpg

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #506 of 534
Those look fantastic. I see a 7 pin cable on there. Excellent. I feel the same way, there have been other iems that have come out that look tempting, but I like the Sharona so much, they just sound so natural, which it turns out is what I’ve always been looking for, I just don’t know if I bought anything else that I’d like them as much or end up ever using them. So I haven’t bought anything since the Sharona. Feeling pretty done for the time being. Happy you like them. Thanks for the post and the pictures. 😊

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #507 of 534
Sharona don't have enough spotlight for sure!
In my top 3 listening time and top 3 period, they're a unique combination of full, organic rich sound :heart_eyes: and technicalities are :100:

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #508 of 534
Sharona don't have enough spotlight for sure!
In my top 3 listening time and top 3 period, they're a unique combination of full, organic rich sound :heart_eyes: and technicalities are :100:
I completely agree. I think just in general JH doesn’t see much love in the audiophile realm. I know their main focus is in the pro industry, which is cool. But I’d like to see them get more attention in our little community. I’ve not heard an iem I like as much as the Sharona. And I have 2 other Harvey iems that I love too. It took me years and years of looking and trying and when I got the Roxanne it was like the clouds broke. Good to see a few non musicians rockin some Harvey’s. 😊

Jan 19, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #509 of 534
I completely agree. I think just in general JH doesn’t see much love in the audiophile realm. I know their main focus is in the pro industry, which is cool. But I’d like to see them get more attention in our little community. I’ve not heard an iem I like as much as the Sharona. And I have 2 other Harvey iems that I love too. It took me years and years of looking and trying and when I got the Roxanne it was like the clouds broke. Good to see a few non musicians rockin some Harvey’s. 😊
+1 on this !

I also dig my Jolenes for different reasons (this is the dream IEM for blues and Rock) but man they’re unique as well but the shell size is well huge luckily I am blessed with huge canals :)

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #510 of 534
+1 on this !

I also dig my Jolenes for different reasons (this is the dream IEM for blues and Rock) but man they’re unique as well but the shell size is well huge luckily I am blessed with huge canals :)
I have the Jolene and agree. It’s awesome too. Shells are absolutely huge. But they sound great. Always wished they had a little more bass… otherwise they are wonderful. I just love the way they tune their earphones. I’m a rock and metal guy and they really work well for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back