JH Audio - Sharona - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #481 of 534
You haven’t missed it. Don’t worry. Let’s just say the process to resocket my Sharona’s required quite a few detours and returns along the way. Your timing is impeccable, though. My Sharona’s finally came back for the last time yesterday in pristine condition, and I’m currently loving it with Eletech’s OTL for a bit more contrast/bite in the sub-bass and high-treble. I can finally get to finishing that darn review. :D

Sorry to hear the process has taken longer than expected. Look forward to your review!

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #483 of 534
Jun 26, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #484 of 534
I think it might be the carbon fiber variant. It was more expensive.
No, that’s the starting price for a standard custom. The carbon fiber shell will increase the price even further.

The reason why the Roxanne is now pricier than the Layla is basically because the Layla got a strong price cut. It could be because the Sharona’s kinda taken its place as the new flagship, and the Sheena is a Sharona Jr. Both have newer drivers and tech. I don’t know why the Roxanne hasn’t gotten the price cut the Layla has, but, either way, I think it’s really refreshing to see a brand aware and considerate enough to execute price cuts like these. It’s the antithesis of arrogance, and it’s a win for the consumer at the end of the day.

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #485 of 534
Why has the price of Roxanne overtaken the Layla now? - Is it because of demand?

https://jhaudio.com/iem?group=custom

And even the Sheena is at the same price as Layla.
No, that’s the starting price for a standard custom. The carbon fiber shell will increase the price even further.

The reason why the Roxanne is now pricier than the Layla is basically because the Layla got a strong price cut. It could be because the Sharona’s kinda taken its place as the new flagship, and the Sheena is a Sharona Jr. Both have newer drivers and tech. I don’t know why the Roxanne hasn’t gotten the price cut the Layla has, but, either way, I think it’s really refreshing to see a brand aware and considerate enough to execute price cuts like these. It’s the antithesis of arrogance, and it’s a win for the consumer at the end of the day.

From an industry point of view, Denzel's point of view is correct and likely what I think happened. No funny business here, just a new flagship that resulted in the older one being cheaper.

They are both excellent choices, it's more of a matter of preference still for us audiophiles.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #486 of 534
Got my Sharonas back today from having them retro fitted to 4pin from the T2 connector and they're perfect now. As much as I love my Layla and Roxanne, and it was nice going back to them this past month, Sharona is just a different animal with that extra sparkle from the super tweeter and detail in the mids. Also I've never minded not having bass attenuation on Sharona as I liked it with the bass all the way up but being able to adjust it now and play around with it is really nice too.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #487 of 534
Got my Sharonas back today from having them retro fitted to 4pin from the T2 connector and they're perfect now. As much as I love my Layla and Roxanne, and it was nice going back to them this past month, Sharona is just a different animal with that extra sparkle from the super tweeter and detail in the mids. Also I've never minded not having bass attenuation on Sharona as I liked it with the bass all the way up but being able to adjust it now and play around with it is really nice too.

Can't wait to hear more feedback from you soon on them. They are on my list as my other TOTL purchase this year, on top of the Radon 6 I already have and the Grand Maestro I have coming later in August.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #488 of 534
Does anyone have a pin out diagram for jh audio 4 pin connectors
Or anyone can confirm if this is correct
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230706_191557_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230706_191557_Photos.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #489 of 534
Does anyone have a pin out diagram for jh audio 4 pin connectors
Or anyone can confirm if this is correct
Thanks in advance
snewton70

I can't tell from your photo if the grove/key is at the top, if it is you are close
You might have the highs and mids reveresed though, cant tell as you've used a single line

From the grove at the top, High Freq is to the left, mid Frequency is to the right
Bass is the lower pins and to the right, Ground is the lower pins to the left

Will you be using a Bass Adjustment Pod?
If yes here is the pinout for that also using a 2.5mm plug. 4.4mm is TRRRS and has discrete L/R Ground

Hope this helps

1688689907341.png

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #490 of 534
snewton70

I can't tell from your photo if the grove/key is at the top, if it is you are close
You might have the highs and mids reveresed though, cant tell as you've used a single line

From the grove at the top, High Freq is to the left, mid Frequency is to the right
Bass is the lower pins and to the right, Ground is the lower pins to the left

Will you be using a Bass Adjustment Pod?
If yes here is the pinout for that also using a 2.5mm plug. 4.4mm is TRRRS and has discrete L/R Ground

Hope this helps

1688689907341.png
Thanks for that, I pulled that image from Google

I'm replacing the 7 pin on a 4.4mm cable I have as I had my Laylas repaired and had the 4 pin changed from the 7 pin

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #491 of 534
I hope all is well with everyone; just thought I'd chime in with the latest happenings.

Got myself an in-line tone-control device for my Sharonas this past winter for DJ'ing and live performances. (It's completely analog and I can't notice any latency.)

First, I do a sound check with the speakers in the room, and adjust the bass/mid/treble knobs on the speaker-output "Master" portion of the DJ deck to match the sound with the particular speakers.

But unfortunately, this also changes the sound that's played through my Sharona earphones, as well. So, with this in-line tone-control device running through the headphone line, I then use the bass/mid/treble knobs on this little deal to counteract the adjustment from the speaker output knobs, plus I can make my Sharonas sound exactly the way I want them to sound.

Once these two sound checks are complete, then I leave these two sets of knobs exactly in place for the entire performance, and I only use the normal "channel" bass/mid/treble knobs in the middle of the DJ deck to adjust each song as needed.

(Here's what my DJ deck looks like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081D8DHMD )

Another handy accessory I got just this week are these headphone-cable clothing clips to attach the IEM cable to my shirt collar and to one of my belt loops while performing, so the cable doesn't slip out of place every few minutes as it tends to do. I'll have to try these out soon and let everyone know how they fare.

Well...it's time for the "Big Tamale" announcement, now! Today is the release date for my 4th and 5th singles. They're called, "How We Doin' in Life?" and "Moves & Grooves From Miles Away." The former has four different song versions (i.e., the main one...plus three "B-side" versions).

You can find them on Spotify, iTunes, Tidal, YouTube, etc., under my artist name Joe Goodson.

All are written, composed, produced, mixed, mastered, and performed all by......me......using Ableton software, along with some plugins such as Native Instruments Kontakt, u-he Diva, Intelligent Wire Solve, and Valhalla SuperMassive. Did not use AutoTune or Melodyne for the vocals.

You can give 'em all a listen right here. Enjoy, and please share! :beyersmile:

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #493 of 534
When using that tone-control device for live performances, the net amount of eq'ing I do with my Sharonas (after adjusting for the speaker outputs on the DJ deck)...is usually somewhat of a reduction in the mids for the Sharonas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back