JH Audio - Sharona - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #377 of 534
Jan 4, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #378 of 534
Picked up my custom-fit Sharonas from the office of Dr. Julie Glick at Musicians Hearing Solutions in Beverly Hills this morning, and with a final consultation on how to use my new IEMs! (Plus the Sensaphonics custom-fit musician's earplugs, and the Sensaphonics custom-fit sleeping earplugs.)

Got everything configured and further figured out at home, and it all sounds awesome and looks great.

For a cable extension, I’m using a simple 1/8” female-to-female headphone-plug connector to connect the 4-pin Sharona cable to my regular headphone cord that I normally use for my V-Moda M-100. I run this connector piece through one of the belt loops on my clothing, and with the second cable plugged into my laptop, and it works out quite well. Plenty of room to dance a little and move around a bit. Also adjusted the plastic tie-wrap behind the back of my head where I want it (on the Sharona cable), and it’s comfortable and the IEM cables look good in the mirror, now, too.

I’ve set the bass dials at about 12:45, so they sound balanced and sound the closest to my V-Modas. This way, I can practice at home with either my M-100s or Sharonas. And then, at a later time or date, when adjusting EQ levels on a DJ deck (for each song) at a live event with the Sharonas, it'll correspond better.

I also compared the isolation of the Sharonas, versus my M-100s. While playing a song at a medium listening level, I couldn’t even hear myself clapping loudly while using the Sharonas, but the claps could be heard plain as day with the M-100s on and playing.

Perhaps next week I'll take some photos and post 'em here. Got a ton of class projects due this week at Point Blank Music School, so I can't do it now.

Anyway, it's awesome to have my very first IEMs now: my new Sharonas with the dark-blue glitter design!

I can’t wait to use these in loud environments in the near future and shine like a star. :sun_with_face:

Got these a month ago, and finally got around to taking pics this evening.

Sharonas 1.jpg

Sharonas 2.jpg

Sharonas 3.jpg

Sharonas 4.jpg

Sharonas 5.jpg

Sharonas 6.jpg

Sharonas 7.jpg

Sharonas 8.jpg

Sharonas 9.jpg

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #379 of 534
Picked up my custom-fit Sharonas from the office of Dr. Julie Glick at Musicians Hearing Solutions in Beverly Hills this morning, and with a final consultation on how to use my new IEMs! (Plus the Sensaphonics custom-fit musician's earplugs, and the Sensaphonics custom-fit sleeping earplugs.)

Got everything configured and further figured out at home, and it all sounds awesome and looks great.

For a cable extension, I’m using a simple 1/8” female-to-female headphone-plug connector to connect the 4-pin Sharona cable to my regular headphone cord that I normally use for my V-Moda M-100. I run this connector piece through one of the belt loops on my clothing, and with the second cable plugged into my laptop, and it works out quite well. Plenty of room to dance a little and move around a bit. Also adjusted the plastic tie-wrap behind the back of my head where I want it (on the Sharona cable), and it’s comfortable and the IEM cables look good in the mirror, now, too.

I’ve set the bass dials at about 12:45, so they sound balanced and sound the closest to my V-Modas. This way, I can practice at home with either my M-100s or Sharonas. And then, at a later time or date, when adjusting EQ levels on a DJ deck (for each song) at a live event with the Sharonas, it'll correspond better.

I also compared the isolation of the Sharonas, versus my M-100s. While playing a song at a medium listening level, I couldn’t even hear myself clapping loudly while using the Sharonas, but the claps could be heard plain as day with the M-100s on and playing.

Perhaps next week I'll take some photos and post 'em here. Got a ton of class projects due this week at Point Blank Music School, so I can't do it now.

Anyway, it's awesome to have my very first IEMs now: my new Sharonas with the dark-blue glitter design!

I can’t wait to use these in loud environments in the near future and shine like a star. :sun_with_face:

Further impressions from the last month since I got these:

1. In one particular situation, I was actually able to make my Sharonas sound better than my V-Moda M-100s! That is..........while played at low volume on an airplane in a window seat at cruising altitude........versus doing the same with the M-100.

I couldn't hear practically any outside noise at all on the plane, and every part of the music shined through -- especially the crisp treble. Now, granted...I was still using my longtime beloved DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets app on my portable rig to test it out, but at low volume in this environment, this combination would kick the livin' snot out of what anyone else on that plane had, that's for sure!

In spite of the noisy environment, I could still hear the tape-hiss noise coming through my Cayin C5 portable amp clear-as-day with its gain switch set to "high" and no music playing. (I set it to high for listening at medium and loud volumes, since the louder music drowns out that hiss noise. But for playing music at low volume, I set the amp gain switch to "low" to eliminate the audible hiss noise.)

If I tried doing the same with my M-100s, then the airplane noise would've completely drowned out the amp-hiss noise with its gain switch on high, along with most of the music, too, if played at low volume. So, yeah.......big difference! :ksc75smile:

Now, to be fair, if I crank up the music -- as I usually do with my portable rig -- then my M-100s are the obvious winner for that. I can easily drown out the airplane noise by cranking up the sound with the M-100s and doing it that way.

2. While singing and performing my own songs for relatives during my two-week visit to the middle of the U.S. in December, I was wearing my Sharonas with them connected to my Scarlett 2i2 interface, along with my Shure SM-58 microphone, my laptop, and my cousin's big stereo system.

His big stereo was cranked up, and with the sound playing through my Sharonas at a medium-to-medium-loud level, I couldn't hear his stereo at all! I could still feel the bass from it, but that's it. And I could hear every part of the music plus my own singing from the microphone with added reverb in Ableton, and practically-zero latency.

3. At my dad's house one day during my two-week trip, I was getting ready to make orange juice from our small, fast, 400-watt, Black & Decker juicer. But he had the TV blaring in the kitchen, and on a particular station that I can't stand! So, this was the perfect time for a fun little experiment with my Sharonas. :ksc75smile:

I got my Rockboxed iPod Classic, untethered it from the Cayin C5 amp, put the Sharonas in my ears, and hooked 'em up directly to the iPod (which I rarely do with headphones). Chose the right EQ presets for the songs that were playing, and played the music at a low or medium-low volume. (At this volume level I typically don't need the amp.)

With the music at low volume, the stupid gosh-darned blarin' TV was already completely drowned out! And at a medium-low volume, I couldn't hear the loud juicer at all while standing right in front of it. The quiet music sounded beautiful and was all I could hear.

Of course, there was at least one other day at my dad's house in December when I did the same thing in the kitchen with my V-Moda M-100s, but with the full portable rig, and with the music cranked up and thumpin' hard. Exact same drown-out result as above, but with the music boomin'! :L3000:

Anyway, I'll leave everyone with these Sharona impressions for now. I can't wait to use these in my Advanced DJ Skills class during my final term at Point Blank Music School this winter, and I may have a classmate snap a few photos of me on one of the decks so I can post 'em here with the Sharonas in my ears.

In the meantime, everyone........have fun with yours!

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #380 of 534
Hyper Black + Sharona Signature Faceplates :)

I would say Sharona is a massive upgrade from my Angie. Better bass, bigger soundstage, and better instrument separation...every aspect I can think of.

Even with the bigger size, I was surprised that the fit was so good because I had one refit with my Angie. Perhaps having impressions done at JHA office and the new 3D printing helped.

The only complaint I have is the Sharona faceplates are not as shiny as those in pictures/videos, maybe because of the lighting? :wink:

Overall I'm very satisfied with the purchase! I can see Sharona will remain JHA's flagship for years to come!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #381 of 534
I just finished mixing and mastering a new track with the Sharona's

Pretty cool how that worked out for you. I've always used my V-Moda M-100s for producing, mixing, and mastering in Ableton on my laptop, as the M-100 has always sounded "normal" to me. But if I guess if I ever had to do this in a really noisy environment, then the Sharonas would suffice!

If they ever made a comedy film for musicians and sound engineers, then a good scene would go something like this:

A Darth-Vader-type of character says to a musician, "ALL RIGHT! I'M GONNA MAKE YOU PRODUCE, MIX, AND MASTER A SONG.......IN A ROOM FULL OF JACKHAMMERS.................POWER SAWS..................AND THUMPIN' CLUB SPEAKERS TO BOOT! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DARNED SONG, KID! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

And so, our musician hero pulls out his secret weapon: a pair of Jerry Harvey Sharonas. He holds them up with a slight grin and says, "OK!" :ksc75smile:

(This could also make for a good Super Bowl commercial, too.) :smile:

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #382 of 534
It is sad to see so little interest in Jerry Harvey products nowadays.
It's important to distinguish that Jerry Harvey products are still among the most dominant brands in the professional industry which is very different than a small audiophile community like Head-Fi. What Jerry Harvey's artists relations team has achieved is impressive.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #383 of 534
Got these a month ago, and finally got around to taking pics this evening.

Sharonas 1.jpg
Sharonas 2.jpg
Sharonas 3.jpg
Sharonas 4.jpg
Sharonas 5.jpg
Sharonas 6.jpg
Sharonas 7.jpg
Sharonas 8.jpg
Sharonas 9.jpg

So happy for you, dude, and slightly jealous! Congratulations again; they look beautiful!

It's important to distinguish that Jerry Harvey products are still among the most dominant brands in the professional industry which is very different than a small audiophile community like Head-Fi. What Jerry Harvey's artists relations team has achieved is impressive.

Correct! And they're almost all long-term relationships they've built over the years.

I'd go as far as to say they are the most dominant brand in the professional industry. That alone separates them from the rest.

And they'll be breaking back into the audiophile world more prominently this year, so mark my words there :)

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #385 of 534
Tried these out at CanJam SoCal and was blown away.

Me too! :blush: (See my post about it here.)

Came there to try out some IEMs, since I knew I'd eventually need a pair for live performances in loud environments. The Sharonas were the only pair of IEMs at the festival that made my face light up when I first heard them, and that actually met my standards for sound quality, power handling & X-max, etc.

At first I was put-off by the price, but after thinking about it for several days and then meeting Alexis from Musicians Hearing Solutions at the post-CanJam meetup in Reseda on October 1st, I finally booked my appointment there later that month. Had to have 'em!

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #386 of 534
Tried my Sharonas with a DJ deck in my Advanced DJ Skills class today. Had to adjust the in-line bass screws on the earphone cable from 12:45 on the dial...to 3:00.

The old setting sounded best with my EQ-preset app on my Rockboxed iPod Classic. But I won't be using that with my Sharonas very often.

The new bass setting has a really good punch to it when plugged into the DJ deck, and matches better with both my V-Moda M-100s and the small sound system in the room in that setup.

I remember last month when singing for relatives (while using the Sharonas with a Scarlett 2i2 interface) that the bass seemed a little lacking with the old setting. Not so, now! :sunglasses:

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #387 of 534
Anyone ever managed to get an order in with a balanced 4.4 cable? Or only after market upgrade?

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #388 of 534
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #389 of 534
Anyone ever managed to get an order in with a balanced 4.4 cable? Or only after market upgrade?
I got my Jolene with 4.4mm from them. But since this is 2pin now, you have almost infinite options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back