JH Audio - Sharona - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #361 of 534
I got notified that my Sharona are on the way and should arrive tomorrow... Kudos to Amber at JH it shipped just as advertised, this is going to be a merry xMas indeed if FedEx is on schedule!

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #362 of 534
Anybody knows what's the meaning behind the names of the JH 16/13/7/11?

@AJ DiMambro is your best bet for a proper answer to that,

I got notified that my Sharona are on the way and should arrive tomorrow... Kudos to Amber at JH it shipped just as advertised, this is going to be a merry xMas indeed if FedEx is on schedule!

Congratulations! I look forward to your photos and initial impressions being posted here!

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #363 of 534
So I received the Sharona today, delivery was lightning fast and right before I left home (lucky me).

IMG_3275.jpeg

Unfortunately there is a QC issue with the left earpiece, it would seem something like a few "grains" got stuck below the lacquer and it's not smooth right around the left bore... easily spotted by hand (pics of this are hard to take I'd need a macro lens...).

IMG_3274.jpeg

This being said, the fit is otherwise perfect just like the Jolene. It grates my ears only when I pull them in and out, it doesn't bother me too much once I fit them. I'll sure send them back (always itchy to send from Europe to the US and back...) but not right away as JH will be closed and anyway those babies sound heavenly 🤩 I can't part with them without getting a boatloads of hours.

Bass was really a surprise although mentioned by many I didn't expect that kind of bass out of BAs, such great slam factor and presence with beautiful texture. It's a much fuller and relaxed midrange than the Jolene and vocals are really a treat out of RS8 with PlusSound TriCopper 8 wire. Treble I need to spend more time with but there is plenty of air and the overall signature is very refined and right down my alley of non fatiguing late listening sessions (Volt was my favorite for this, Sharona is just livelier with more powerful bass yes despite Volt featuring a DD and the treble is impressively holding its own against quad EST setups).

I need time with them those are very early and very quick impressions but @Deezel177 and @marcusd were spot on as usual and I am not disappointed!

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #364 of 534
So I received the Sharona today, delivery was lightning fast and right before I left home (lucky me).

IMG_3275.jpeg

Unfortunately there is a QC issue with the left earpiece, it would seem something like a few "grains" got stuck below the lacquer and it's not smooth right around the left bore... easily spotted by hand (pics of this are hard to take I'd need a macro lens...).

IMG_3274.jpeg

This being said, the fit is otherwise perfect just like the Jolene. It grates my ears only when I pull them in and out, it doesn't bother me too much once I fit them. I'll sure send them back (always itchy to send from Europe to the US and back...) but not right away as JH will be closed and anyway those babies sound heavenly 🤩 I can't part with them without getting a boatloads of hours.

Bass was really a surprise although mentioned by many I didn't expect that kind of bass out of BAs, such great slam factor and presence with beautiful texture. It's a much fuller and relaxed midrange than the Jolene and vocals are really a treat out of RS8 with PlusSound TriCopper 8 wire. Treble I need to spend more time with but there is plenty of air and the overall signature is very refined and right down my alley of non fatiguing late listening sessions (Volt was my favorite for this, Sharona is just livelier with more powerful bass yes despite Volt featuring a DD and the treble is impressively holding its own against quad EST setups).

I need time with them those are very early and very quick impressions but @Deezel177 and @marcusd were spot on as usual and I am not disappointed!

I'm sure JH will be open to hearing from you about the finish. Their customer service is second to none.

Thanks for all the sound impressions. This perfectly describes why I'm so interested the Sharona myself.

Those shells are beautiful!

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #365 of 534
I'm sure JH will be open to hearing from you about the finish. Their customer service is second to none.
Thanks for all the sound impressions. This perfectly describes why I'm so interested the Sharona myself.
Those shells are beautiful!
I have no doubt they'll sort it out, probably due to BF heavy backlog and the fact they so nicely rushed my order for xMas.

In depth impressions will come next week !

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #366 of 534
I have no doubt they'll sort it out, probably due to BF heavy backlog and the fact they so nicely rushed my order for xMas.

In depth impressions will come next week !

Cheers bud! Looking forward to it.

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #367 of 534
So I have had my first listening sessions with the Sharona, two times several hours straight a good way to burn in your brain to the unique signature of the Sharona.

First listen will definitely be "oh my that bass"! depending on what kind of music your listening to and your source that will be more or less the first striking trait. Especially since you would never expect a BA setup to sound that good down low and without attenuator presence is really strong. I get why some people would like to get the option. I personally like it this way. Once you get some listening time with them, running them through different genres... you quickly get that the Sharona can do any genre really well, it's a great all rounder. You can also start to figure out its capabilities and the RAU quad tweeter is really something to behold. Sharona is deceptively resolving and detailed, which you might overlook if you have a quick audition. Cliché but I litterally discovered a whole new world of details in well known albums while enjoying details in a non fatiguing manner. Effortless is how I would describe the Sharona... they have a lot under the hood in every department and there was a clear tuning intent : provide engagement and fun without fatigue, dealt out with masterful technical implementation. Wow.

The subs are physically felt, this is the best BA subs that do this for me I feel the pressure in my ears mounting significantly... in fact not many DD do the same for me. Impressed. The mid bass slam is so enjoyable, percussions are so enjoyable with the rich textures and the bass line is clear and strong and this make the Sharona a very rhythmic IEM. Toe tapping. Given the bass presence which is strong it's a bit surprising that it's not fatiguing, this probably has to do with the rounded, smooth delivery Sharona doesn't feature a dry, snappy bass with its longer decay and smooth attack.

When I switched over to my favorite Jazz album, the midrange downright mesmerized me : it's a full midrange the way I like them but just the right touch with masterful balance. Upper mids are safe and non fatiguing but not lacking the proper bite to get your saxophones lacking excitement, same goes for stringed instruments I love guitars and violin on the Sharona. The timbre is not what I'd call spot on accurate as I would the Elysium for example but reference is not the goal of the Sharona, it adds its unique organic flavor and that's a pure joy to me.

Now the treble, I think this is the key to the Sharona's balance... without the air, the extension and world class detail it can provide, the Sharona could have been a bit overpowered by its bass and its midrange would sound warmer. It's all a balance. This is where the Sharona becomes a masterpiece. The air, the resolution is top notch and it's not by way of its signature. Reference signature are easier to be perceived as resolving because of their very tuning. Sharona achieves this with a magnificent top end. Lower treble might lack excitement for some, just like the upper mids for those who like it with more bite. Don't misread this as Sharona lacking lower treble energy, there is just the right amount for piano and violin to be exciting but not too much so that it wouldn't get fatiguing. Now upper treble presence : oh my, this is world class and explains how the Sharona pulls off being very resolving and detailed. Ususally that doesn't come with non fatiguing IEMs. That makes it a bit puzzling of sorts, but oh my this makes for long satisfying sessions and also explains it can be versatile with any genres...

Hats off to JH for the Sharona, this clearly show that it's still more about tuning than pure tech, and all BA setup can still compete at the highest level (granted the RAU BA quad supertweeter is a tech advancement given the results). I have said this time and again now that I have such a collection I look for unique signatures that have a clear intent, match my preferences and are implemented masterfully. Sharona is definitely a flagship and will easily sit among my top 3 IEMs.

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #368 of 534
It is sad to see so little interest in Jerry Harvey products nowadays. Years ago Jerry Harvey products were the most sought after, now brands like Aroma, Campfire, Fir Audio and Oriolus trendy. I am wonder how Sharona stack against flagship from those brands. Maybe if more people have the chance of trying the Sharoma, Jerry Harvey brand will get again more recognition

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #369 of 534
It is sad to see so little interest in Jerry Harvey products nowadays. Years ago Jerry Harvey products were the most sought after, now brands like Aroma, Campfire, Fir Audio and Oriolus trendy. I am wonder how Sharona stack against flagship from those brands. Maybe if more people have the chance of trying the Sharoma, Jerry Harvey brand will get again more recognition
In the past few years, they have focused more on ciems, universal versions I think will be back soon. Audiophile market attention is more for uiems

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #370 of 534
So I have had my first listening sessions with the Sharona, two times several hours straight a good way to burn in your brain to the unique signature of the Sharona.

First listen will definitely be "oh my that bass"! depending on what kind of music your listening to and your source that will be more or less the first striking trait. Especially since you would never expect a BA setup to sound that good down low and without attenuator presence is really strong. I get why some people would like to get the option. I personally like it this way. Once you get some listening time with them, running them through different genres... you quickly get that the Sharona can do any genre really well, it's a great all rounder. You can also start to figure out its capabilities and the RAU quad tweeter is really something to behold. Sharona is deceptively resolving and detailed, which you might overlook if you have a quick audition. Cliché but I litterally discovered a whole new world of details in well known albums while enjoying details in a non fatiguing manner. Effortless is how I would describe the Sharona... they have a lot under the hood in every department and there was a clear tuning intent : provide engagement and fun without fatigue, dealt out with masterful technical implementation. Wow.

The subs are physically felt, this is the best BA subs that do this for me I feel the pressure in my ears mounting significantly... in fact not many DD do the same for me. Impressed. The mid bass slam is so enjoyable, percussions are so enjoyable with the rich textures and the bass line is clear and strong and this make the Sharona a very rhythmic IEM. Toe tapping. Given the bass presence which is strong it's a bit surprising that it's not fatiguing, this probably has to do with the rounded, smooth delivery Sharona doesn't feature a dry, snappy bass with its longer decay and smooth attack.

When I switched over to my favorite Jazz album, the midrange downright mesmerized me : it's a full midrange the way I like them but just the right touch with masterful balance. Upper mids are safe and non fatiguing but not lacking the proper bite to get your saxophones lacking excitement, same goes for stringed instruments I love guitars and violin on the Sharona. The timbre is not what I'd call spot on accurate as I would the Elysium for example but reference is not the goal of the Sharona, it adds its unique organic flavor and that's a pure joy to me.

Now the treble, I think this is the key to the Sharona's balance... without the air, the extension and world class detail it can provide, the Sharona could have been a bit overpowered by its bass and its midrange would sound warmer. It's all a balance. This is where the Sharona becomes a masterpiece. The air, the resolution is top notch and it's not by way of its signature. Reference signature are easier to be perceived as resolving because of their very tuning. Sharona achieves this with a magnificent top end. Lower treble might lack excitement for some, just like the upper mids for those who like it with more bite. Don't misread this as Sharona lacking lower treble energy, there is just the right amount for piano and violin to be exciting but not too much so that it wouldn't get fatiguing. Now upper treble presence : oh my, this is world class and explains how the Sharona pulls off being very resolving and detailed. Ususally that doesn't come with non fatiguing IEMs. That makes it a bit puzzling of sorts, but oh my this makes for long satisfying sessions and also explains it can be versatile with any genres...

Hats off to JH for the Sharona, this clearly show that it's still more about tuning than pure tech, and all BA setup can still compete at the highest level (granted the RAU BA quad supertweeter is a tech advancement given the results). I have said this time and again now that I have such a collection I look for unique signatures that have a clear intent, match my preferences and are implemented masterfully. Sharona is definitely a flagship and will easily sit among my top 3 IEMs.
Awesome stuff, David! What a killer Christmas present, eh? :wink: I just finished mixing and mastering a new track with the Sharona's as well. I played the song through my church's PA speakers today and I didn't have to change a thing, which is really rare. 'Hope JH can get your slight finishing niggles fixed ASAP, and I hope I can get my sockets switched out as well, so I can get this darn review out. :D

I think it's because their house sound wasn't as palatable to the enthusiast crowd for some time. I never fully appreciated the Layla myself until I became an engineer. I think the Jolene was their first true comeback to an "audiophile" sensibility, and I believe the Sharona is even more so. I actually compared the Sharona to the Jewel briefly when I tried the latter in Singapore, and I felt they easily traded blows technically; stage expansion, imaging, resolution, etc. Tonally, the Sharona is like if you swapped the Jewel's bass and treble/upper-mid quantities, so like if you flipped its FR around, basically. The only thing it's probably missing compared to the "big dogs" would be one of those esoteric, textural elements like a BCD to do funky things to imaging and impact. But, the Sharona is also at least $1500 cheaper than those "dogs" too. :wink:

Dec 24, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #371 of 534

If I had to guess...? Getting the chance to hear one seems difficult... I'm still actively pursuing a Sharona demo but it's definitely not anywhere near as accessible as getting a demo from just about any other brand. The fact it's CIEM only also means there's a large barrier to entry.

Dec 27, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #373 of 534
I paired my Sharonas up with balanced TWAG silver cables into an RSA SR71B amp and it is just purely sublime. Upgraded from JH16s I got back in 2017 :) totally worth every penny!

Share pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back