JH Audio - Sharona - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #226 of 534
Thanks! It’s nice to have someone say that’s how they hear it too 😊 Crazy it’s 8 years old. I was thinking 5 or 6… time goes by so fast. It has aged very gracefully I must say. Still sounds awesome. I feel like the really good ones end up having really long lifecycles, like as far as still being in a companies lineup many years later. To me that’s one of the biggest measures of how good an iem or headphone is. If you can go 8 years and still be selling the heck out of it… you’ve nailed it. You think like the Senn HD600/650 … that thing has been around forever. But it’s tuned well and it sounds good… and it still sells like crazy… as the HD6XX… if it’s tuned well and sounds great… it never goes out of style. And that’s the Roxanne. It’s my going for a walk, traveling iem too. She comes out just to listen at home too. One of my all time faves for sure.

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #227 of 534
Wow those look great!! I’m happy you’re able to eq them to bring that bass down a bit. I agree they are a better earphone than the Jolene… overall. I love the Jolene too… and the Roxanne. Each one is just a different flavor. I consider myself lucky and grateful to be able to have the ability to choose. I love the clear shells you chose. It’s so cool being able to see the internals. And the caps look great too. You should put some pictures up of the underside of yours so we can see all the drivers and tech they’ve got in there. It’s been fun seeing the designs everyone goes for. Haven’t seen a cobalt yet I don’t think…
The underside showing the drivers..

Attachments

• sharona__10a.jpg
    sharona__10a.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 0
  • sharona__11a.jpg
    sharona__11a.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 0
  • sharona__12a.jpg
    sharona__12a.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #228 of 534
Hey cool, that’s awesome. Thanks for posting those. Are those little brown boxes capacitors? Part of the crossover? Can you see the crossover board in there somewhere? Like on the side of the iem that the nozzle is on? Mine are transparent but they are blue, so you can’t see nearly as well as with the clear. I’m such a nerd, I apologize. But I am so fascinated and interested in how they do that, what the components are etc. Honestly if Jerry Harvey Audio would give me a tour of the manufacturing facility and show me how all that stuff worked together to make the sound it does… that would be like the normal person going to Disney world. It would be my Disney World. 😊 I’m such a nerd.

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #229 of 534
Aug 21, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #230 of 534
To me the Sharona is superior in just about every way. The Roxanne is an older design, it’s been out for a bit… the Sharona sounds like a much more modern iem. It’s has vastly better extension in both directions. The Roxanne rolls off a bit in the sub bass, the Sharona digs down very deep into the sub bass with no roll off. It also has otherworldly treble extension with that new super tweeter. I’ve not heard treble extension like this in any transducer before. You catch all sorts of upper frequency stuff you haven’t heard before. It also sounds much more natural and they have all but neutralized that “BA timbre” sound… the Roxanne sounds like BA’s … the Sharona does not. I feel like if you put the Sharona in my ears and I had no clue what it was, and then you told me it was all dynamic drivers… I think I’d believe you. Just from the natural sound it produces and the bass rumble you get with it. It’s just more modern. There has been an insane amount of moving the needle as far as driver and iem tech is concerned over the last 5 years, 10 years. And they’ve done the R&D here and taken advantage of the progress that’s been made. There’s also a lot more detail retrieval in the Sharona, it’s cleaner, more detailed and just sounds bigger as well. It feels like the razors edge of what’s possible with BA’s today, where as the Roxanne felt like that when it came out 5 years ago or so. How old is the Rox at this point? But here’s the deal, I still LOVE the Roxanne. I think I like the overall “tuning” of the Roxanne more than any other iem or headphone I’ve heard to date. For the music I listen to, which is primarily rock and metal… it’s the best tuning and frequency response I’ve encountered. It’s just fantastic for that music. And even though I have the Jolene and the Sharona, there are absolutely times when I put the Roxanne in my ears and feel like it’s still my favorite. It’s so freakin good with heavy music. There’s just something special about the frequency response / tuning. It works absolute wonders with big distorted guitars. It’s also much more forgiving of poorly recorded music, and being that I listen to a lot of metal… that’s pretty commonplace in my library. So as much as the Sharona is a technically superior iem, I still absolutely adore the Roxanne. I still listen to it all the time and I would never sell it. It’s just got some very special magic with the music I listen to. But if you’re looking at buying one or the other, I think the Sharona is the obvious choice with a much smaller chance that you wouldn’t like it. How do you like the Contour? I’d love to hear it at some point. I’ve considered picking it up.
That's really interesting cause I was on to getting Roxanne aion since they're not available now, and they will probably update soon, i choose contour xo i heard it's more like Roxanne, so i get them. The bass is really good, and solid with a little sharpness in some of the tracks in the treble region they have little rolls off in sub-bass but what I love about them is a great sense of openness that they have even its more like a 1500$ close back headphone sound. when you listen to it, you can immediately tell its Gibson sound or fender that's how much they're good in present sound as it should be even my focal can not show me the exact signature that every instrument has with strong midrange and full instrument sounding, what can I way I love them I think it's too soon for upgrading them, thanks for your valuable impression, I love to hear your comparison between Roxanne and contour xo when you get them

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #231 of 534
Aug 22, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #232 of 534
Well. JH is kind of known for that with the magicians they are.
Other thing I liked from that is the fact that the shell is filled with resin...no thin and delicate shells like another IEM I have that cracked a few times already. :)

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #233 of 534
Other thing I liked from that is the fact that the shell is filled with resin...no thin and delicate shells like another IEM I have that cracked a few times already. :)

Yes, the big plus of going JH is that .

Build quality is second to none. FiR is the only brand I can think of that can contest within the CIEM space.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #234 of 534
Built to stand up to the rigors of life on the road as a touring musician. They feel super solid. I love that about them too. I think I own the exact very delicate iem that you are talking about. It feels as light as paper. Makes me really nervous. Haven’t had any cracks, so that’s good. Got the day off today… and today… the Jolene is my favorite. They just rotate. Been doing a lot of old Stone Temple Pilots … one of the very best bands to come out of the 90’s I dare say. The first 3 albums… excellent. And excellent on the JH stuff… as all rock is. 😊

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #235 of 534
Hey AJ how about a new roxanne?… better sub bass extension, use the rau super tweeter… modern drivers and techniques but with the exact same frequency response as the original, outside of the better extension in both directions. I’d buy it tomorrow. Just a thought. 😉

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #236 of 534
That's really interesting cause I was on to getting Roxanne aion since they're not available now, and they will probably update soon, i choose contour xo i heard it's more like Roxanne, so i get them. The bass is really good, and solid with a little sharpness in some of the tracks in the treble region they have little rolls off in sub-bass but what I love about them is a great sense of openness that they have even its more like a 1500$ close back headphone sound. when you listen to it, you can immediately tell its Gibson sound or fender that's how much they're good in present sound as it should be even my focal can not show me the exact signature that every instrument has with strong midrange and full instrument sounding, what can I way I love them I think it's too soon for upgrading them, thanks for your valuable impression, I love to hear your comparison between Roxanne and contour xo when you get them
I love what you said about being able to tell the difference between a Fender and a Gibson. That’s the kinda crazy in depth listening and guitar worship I do. The contour sounds fantastic. I’d love to hear it. I try to only buy one JH set a year… try to take it easy on my wallet a bit. I’ve got two puppies to feed. 😉 we’ll see what next year brings in the lineup.

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #237 of 534
I love what you said about being able to tell the difference between a Fender and a Gibson. That’s the kinda crazy in depth listening and guitar worship I do. The contour sounds fantastic. I’d love to hear it. I try to only buy one JH set a year… try to take it easy on my wallet a bit. I’ve got two puppies to feed. 😉 we’ll see what next year brings in the lineup.
honestly, I don't think it was possible before contour xo my next step will be new version of Roxanne, which I know uses rau tech and 5 crossover I can't until jh release it
I really like strong mids and forward and rich vocal

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #238 of 534
honestly, I don't think it was possible before contour xo my next step will be new version of Roxanne, which I know uses rau tech and 5 crossover I can't until jh release it
I really like strong mids and forward and rich vocal
Wait, wait. There’s a new Roxanne coming? Is that true? AJ, is there like a date on that? I thought Pearl would be next… pearl looks a little more pointed towards stage musicians. I would be all about a new Roxanne though. God, my poor wallet.

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #239 of 534
Wait, wait. There’s a new Roxanne coming? Is that true? AJ, is there like a date on that? I thought Pearl would be next… pearl looks a little more pointed towards stage musicians. I would be all about a new Roxanne though. God, my poor wallet.
We have some new models in the pipeline. For those who love the Sharona, you'll love what's coming next. That's all I can say for now!

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #240 of 534
We have some new models in the pipeline. For those who love the Sharona, you'll love what's coming next. That's all I can say for now!

Can confirm this. I tried it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back