JH Audio - Sharona - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #121 of 534
Speaking from experience owning the MEST MK II, the Sharona is a very different beast than the Indigo. If you're looking for something more relaxed, warm, and smooth, go for the Sharona. They both retain top-of-the-line qualities in soundstage and airiness, but the presentation is different. I'd say if anything, the sense of air and space you get from the Sharona is what's most special about it, and that's coming from someone who loves the MEST.
I want the Sharona, but I want to try it first. :frowning2:

@a.w.bailey are we having demo sent to Australian dealers?

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #123 of 534
Has anyone compared the UM indigo to the sharona or Layla ? I’m looking for a new ciem and the sharona and indigo are on the top of my list !
I had a chance to spend some time with both. Borrowed friend’s indigo for about half and hour and did some AB’s. Sharona feels like overall a much darker signature compared to the Indigo. The indigo is a very safe and neutral tuning with a solid amount of detail and tech capabilities. The Sharona seems to rival it in terms of detail and tech, if not slightly exceed, but presents as a much warmer and darker sound signature overall. Transients felt a little more lively on the Sharona than the Indigo but if you’re leaning towards more of a IEF Neutral for example, Indigo would be more your taste.

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #124 of 534
I had a chance to spend some time with both. Borrowed friend’s indigo for about half and hour and did some AB’s. Sharona feels like overall a much darker signature compared to the Indigo. The indigo is a very safe and neutral tuning with a solid amount of detail and tech capabilities. The Sharona seems to rival it in terms of detail and tech, if not slightly exceed, but presents as a much warmer and darker sound signature overall. Transients felt a little more lively on the Sharona than the Indigo but if you’re leaning towards more of a IEF Neutral for example, Indigo would be more your taste.
What did you think about imaging ?did you feel indigo had more height in the soundstage vs sharona ?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #125 of 534
What did you think about imaging ?did you feel indigo had more height in the soundstage vs sharona ?
In terms of height, I felt like the Indigo portrayed the effect slightly better, but the Sharona had more space laterally and depth. If I were to say, the Sharona seems more like a wide fan out from the head, with a bit of a height added, but the Indigo seemed more like a cone from the center of the head.

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #126 of 534
Would anybody have a pin out diagram for the 7 pin cable
2.5mm 3.5mm and 4.4mm
Thanks in advance
8 core cable
1 core to R-
1 core to L-
3 cores to the R+
3 cores to the L+
20220623_141127.jpg

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #128 of 534
In terms of height, I felt like the Indigo portrayed the effect slightly better, but the Sharona had more space laterally and depth. If I were to say, the Sharona seems more like a wide fan out from the head, with a bit of a height added, but the Indigo seemed more like a cone from the center of the head.

I agree with these thoughts!

8 core cable
1 core to R-
1 core to L-
3 cores to the R+
3 cores to the L+
20220623_141127.jpg

Thanks! Very interesting to know.

Jun 24, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #129 of 534
I agree with these thoughts!

Thanks! Very interesting to know.
Just to note, even though there are 3 cores to the R+ and 3 to the L+ you have to check from the pins to the end of the wires. You won't get a reading with a meter by touching the wire ends to each other as they go through the frequency adjuster if that makes sense.
Just re terminated one to 4.4mm plug and it works ok. Don't have your iron too hot, those cable strands are a bit delicate.
20220624_120325.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #130 of 534
Just to note, even though there are 3 cores to the R+ and 3 to the L+ you have to check from the pins to the end of the wires. You won't get a reading with a meter by touching the wire ends to each other as they go through the frequency adjuster if that makes sense.
Just re terminated one to 4.4mm plug and it works ok. Don't have your iron too hot, those cable strands are a bit delicate.
20220624_120325.jpg
Great points mate…

Thinking on the extra pins and bringing a Curiosity Quiz to everyone … what features could be added to those?

Jun 24, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #131 of 534
The problem I had was that the bass attenuator didn't work after putting on a 2.5mm
So have sent it back to the cable shop to be redone
So hopefully he will be able to correct it, unless the bass attenuator has packed up

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #133 of 534
20220624_120325.jpg
This looks like it was originally a 3.5mm?
you had no problems with the bass?
Would you have an opinion on why when I had a 2.5mm put on a similar 3.5mm cable my bass doesn't work

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #134 of 534
This looks like it was originally a 3.5mm?
you had no problems with the bass?
Would you have an opinion on why when I had a 2.5mm put on a similar 3.5mm cable my bass doesn't work
No it was a 2.5mm balanced, it's possible it's been wired to the negative and only one pin of the 3 positives available, which are linked to the frequency adjuster. Have you checked the pins to plug with a meter ?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #135 of 534
May I know any demo in Hong Kong?

Probably best to email AJ as well. I don't know if JH has any dealers in Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back