JH Audio - Sharona - Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 4, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #17 of 534
what does the phase 'true 4 way crossover' mean?

How is it different to the 4th order crossover in the Layla?

And is the Sharona using a 2pin connector or the 7pin?
This is our first 16 driver configuration with a true 4 way crossover thanks to the Knowles RAU Quad Supertweeter. The RAU Quad Supertweeter produces an extended treble response starting where most balanced armature drivers roll off (12kHz) and extends to 25kHz. The Sharona will be offered with T2, 2pin, and 7pin cable options. The 7pin will be the only option with an attenuator. Feel free to email me on AJD@JHAudio.com if you have any other questions!

May 4, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #18 of 534
Sharona will come standard with the T2 Connector/Cable and our standard free color/artwork options. It does not come with a 2-pin. The T2 Cable is made out of the same High Purity OFC 4N Silver-Plated Litz Wire as our entire cable lineup. Our bass-attenuated cables are available for Sharona via the 3D Designer drop-down menu if you prefer the 7-pin or 4-pin options.

We decided to go with the T2 connector because it allows us to keep the shell size down with 16-drivers installed. This is especially important for our musicians as they prefer the low-profile look while performing. We've been able to keep these 16-driver Sharona's just as low as our 12-driver models. Unlike the classic 2-pin, the T2 is rated to be resistant to sweat exposure, which is also a big factor for musicians on stage.

At the end of the day, we're a custom house and we can build *almost* anything you want. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask.

Excited for everyone to hear it. If you're near one of our office locations, reach out and set up a demo. (Orlando, LA, Nashville, Austin, NYC, Vegas, Atlanta, and London) We'll be at NAMM and CanJam Chicago next month as well.

Attachments

• Sharona-BW-1-2.jpg
    Sharona-BW-1-2.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Sharona-BW-1.jpg
    Sharona-BW-1.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sharona-BW-2.jpg
    Sharona-BW-2.jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 0
May 4, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #19 of 534
what does the phase 'true 4 way crossover' mean?

How is it different to the 4th order crossover in the Layla?

And is the Sharona using a 2pin connector or the 7pin?
The Layla has a 3-way crossover. 4th Order refers to how steep the crossover points roll off. Low, Mid, and High with very steep slopes.

The Sharona is a 4-way (Low, Low-Mid, High-Mid, High) with a variation of crossover slopes.

May 4, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #20 of 534
The Layla has a 3-way crossover. 4th Order refers to how steep the crossover points roll off. Low, Mid, and High with very steep slopes.

The Sharona is a 4-way (Low, Low-Mid, High-Mid, High) with a variation of crossover slopes.
By any chance are you guys able to publish a frequency response curve for the Sharona? Couldn’t find one on the site.

May 4, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #21 of 534
Sharona will come standard with the T2 Connector/Cable and our standard free color/artwork options. It does not come with a 2-pin. The T2 Cable is made out of the same High Purity OFC 4N Silver-Plated Litz Wire as our entire cable lineup. Our bass-attenuated cables are available for Sharona via the 3D Designer drop-down menu if you prefer the 7-pin or 4-pin options.

We decided to go with the T2 connector because it allows us to keep the shell size down with 16-drivers installed. This is especially important for our musicians as they prefer the low-profile look while performing. We've been able to keep these 16-driver Sharona's just as low as our 12-driver models. Unlike the classic 2-pin, the T2 is rated to be resistant to sweat exposure, which is also a big factor for musicians on stage.

At the end of the day, we're a custom house and we can build *almost* anything you want. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask.

Excited for everyone to hear it. If you're near one of our office locations, reach out and set up a demo. (Orlando, LA, Nashville, Austin, NYC, Vegas, Atlanta, and London) We'll be at NAMM and CanJam Chicago next month as well.
Any chances of a demo unit be sent over to Toronto, Canada? I don’t think you guys have a dealer in Toronto anymore.

I’m curious to hear it compared to my Layla.

May 4, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 534
Is this a raw measurement?

Or was it compensated? If compensated, what target graph did you guys use? Because the upper mids to treble look quite a bit compensated to a target like Crinnacle’s or Diffused Field. Crin’s and the DF target curves have that flat bass so that could explain the big bass emphasis.

May 5, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #25 of 534
This is our first 16 driver configuration with a true 4 way crossover thanks to the Knowles RAU Quad Supertweeter. The RAU Quad Supertweeter produces an extended treble response starting where most balanced armature drivers roll off (12kHz) and extends to 25kHz. The Sharona will be offered with T2, 2pin, and 7pin cable options. The 7pin will be the only option with an attenuator. Feel free to email me on AJD@JHAudio.com if you have any other questions!

Glad to hear this will be offered in T2 and 2 Pin as well :)

Very excited to see you guys here :)

The Sharona is likely the only flagship I'll purchase this year.

And yes - I'm going to take you guys up on that *almost anything you want* and thinking about my design now :)

Is this a raw measurement?

Or was it compensated? If compensated, what target graph did you guys use? Because the upper mids to treble look quite a bit compensated to a target like Crinnacle’s or Diffused Field. Crin’s and the DF target curves have that flat bass so that could explain the big bass emphasis.

Great question. I'd be curious to know, as well.

May 5, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #26 of 534
This is the first time I hear about T2 connectors. Is this a new proprietary kind of connector? I can't even get an image of it on the internet

May 5, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #27 of 534
This is the first time I hear about T2 connectors. Is this a new proprietary kind of connector? I can't even get an image of it on the internet

Most other companies refer to it as IPX. The IP in IPX stands for Ingress Protection, in other words, the degree of protection against what could enter and harm the components, such as dust and water.

The actual connector is the T2 made by Estron. InEarz, Westone, UE and 64 also use the T2. This connector is rated IP67 which is a higher rating than IPX.

May 5, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #29 of 534
Wow the bass in that graph is NUTS. It definitely seems like a compensated graph though, because it's missing the pinna gain I've come to expect with all of them. It still sounded great from the demo, but I'd be a little concerned if this was uncompensated to, at least, DF.

Most other companies refer to it as IPX. The IP in IPX stands for Ingress Protection, in other words, the degree of protection against what could enter and harm the components, such as dust and water.

The actual connector is the T2 made by Estron. InEarz, Westone, UE and 64 also use the T2. This connector is rated IP67 which is a higher rating than IPX.
For some reason I've only ever really seen it under UE as the IPX connector, and have always called it the UE connector. Was kind of surprised that JH went with it too instead of their usual 4/7 pin.

Didn't realize T2 was a higher spec up. Are cables between IPX and T2 interchangeable?

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #30 of 534

Thanks guys, I thought the T2 connectors would be a variation of the traditional 2 pin connectors :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back