JH Audio JH 13v2 PRO Impressions and Discussions Thread.
May 13, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #16 of 52
My read is these are more “musical”, more rock n’ roll than “balanced” - the latter I tend to think of as linear, with basically the bass side of things dialled down and relatively more emphasis on the mid to highs. So everything sounds “clear and fast”. The ultimate reference is probably Shure KSE1500.

But we all bring very different notions of “reference versus coloured”. On this forum there are threads dedicated to the semantic challenge of describing what we mean by our impressions of hi-fi.

I’ve also had a pretty decent testing of high end iems, not everything obviously. The u18 is probably the most impressive iem I’ve ever heard, but if I pay $4k on a pair of iems I’m going to get divorced... (actually we live in sin, but you get the idea).

Similarly a heavy listening session of some high end iems, made me super impressed with this line of iems. Historically I’ve mainly bought Nobles, Shures Westones but needed to get out of that rut. The above are all good, but sometimes you need a change... Happy listening all! I hope this thread grows, maybe the recent downward price adjustment will drive sales, and hence more feedback on this forum thread.

Pardon my clumsy wording. What I meant by reference core sound + fun turning might be better described by saying "natural" + "musical". I tend to prefer "reference" and "analytical" tunings, so I'm pretty sensitive to exaggerated curves, and I found the JHA 13v2 very enjoyable, a good value at $1k, and a well rounded IEM that would sound fine for a wide variety of musical genres.

This was the first time, I had the opportunity to listen to so many high-end IEMs at one time with my own source. If you have time to get to a shop like E-earphone in Tokyo (or Jaben in Hong Kong, etc) it is well worth the time and effort. You can instantly get a sense of each manufacture's "house sound" and it is great to do both a "vertical" comparison by listening to a single manufacture's models (cheap to expensive) and also do a "horizontal" comparison by listening across a bunch of manufacturers at a specific price point. One other point about E-earphones that I really appreciate is that all the IEMs are set up to try yourself and you don't have to ask a sales person for each demo. This makes things casual, allowing you to do things like go back and forth a millions times between two IEMs without bothering, taking as much time as you like, without any sales pressure. The downside is that if the store is busy you might have to wait a bit to get to the IEMs you came to listen to, but the upside is that you can listen to something new while you wait.

May 13, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #17 of 52
Wow, you’re in Toronto - I was born there! Eons ago - I’ve lived in Australia since I was 7.

I would check out that Tokyo store. I’m interested in some of the Asian brands that we don’t see much.

I am super lucky though - because I’m maybe 10 minutes away from Minidisc in Chatswood in Sydney. The owner truly encourages his customers to try out any iem or headphone he has, and his range is incredible. I doubt I would have got so into this hobby without this opportunity to try before I buy. (I genuinely don’t think we have another headphone shop in it’s class in all of Australia.)

Yeah, I since came across some info suggesting the 13v2 was more balanced / reference than the 16v2, so that makes sense.

I didn’t remember a really big difference between the two when I checked them out - but if the 13v2 had the bass turned up, and the 16v2 with the pots turned down... then the difference would be pretty easily overlooked.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #18 of 52
Hi all, for those who owns a JH13v2 Pro or any JH Audio custom IEMs, what's the fit like for you?

I got into the custom IEM game back in 2012 when I bought a pair of UE 7 pros with ambient ports. I use them performing live on stage, pretty much on a weekly basis. So I'm very very used to my UE 7s. Fast forward 2017, I decided to get my 2nd pair of CIEMs and went with JH Audio, specifically the JH13v2 pro which I ordered through a local dealer in Melbourne, Australia. Fast forward to present day, after almost 1.5 years and 7 refits, I'm still having issues with my JH13v2. It just doesn't fit right! Between the 7 refits, I sent through 2 different impressions, as well as sending my UE 7s to them for a complete remold to those IEMs. They're still not fitting - it's generally too big both sides. I feel pressure all around my ear. In fact, the first time I got them, the fit was so bad that I could "feel" the tip behind my throat each time I swallow, if that even makes any sense! It starts to hurt after 15-20 minutes of usage. When I A/B between the JH13v2 and UE7, there's a significant drop in volume with the JH13v2. It sounds muffled and muddy.

That said, JH Audio have been stellar with their communication and have been proactive in trying to help me solve this. So I can't fault their customer service.

I really don't know what's wrong which is extremely frustrating. I really want to like these in ears but I can't use them live.
I've literally just emailed JHA again and to be honest, I'm quite embarrassed!

Thoughts?? Options??
Thanks.

May 2, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #19 of 52
Pardon my clumsy wording. What I meant by reference core sound + fun turning might be better described by saying "natural" + "musical". I tend to prefer "reference" and "analytical" tunings, so I'm pretty sensitive to exaggerated curves, and I found the JHA 13v2 very enjoyable, a good value at $1k, and a well rounded IEM that would sound fine for a wide variety of musical genres.

This was the first time, I had the opportunity to listen to so many high-end IEMs at one time with my own source. If you have time to get to a shop like E-earphone in Tokyo (or Jaben in Hong Kong, etc) it is well worth the time and effort. You can instantly get a sense of each manufacture's "house sound" and it is great to do both a "vertical" comparison by listening to a single manufacture's models (cheap to expensive) and also do a "horizontal" comparison by listening across a bunch of manufacturers at a specific price point. One other point about E-earphones that I really appreciate is that all the IEMs are set up to try yourself and you don't have to ask a sales person for each demo. This makes things casual, allowing you to do things like go back and forth a millions times between two IEMs without bothering, taking as much time as you like, without any sales pressure. The downside is that if the store is busy you might have to wait a bit to get to the IEMs you came to listen to, but the upside is that you can listen to something new while you wait.
Do you feel the 16v2 has the same level of clarity and detail as the 13b2 or less?

Sep 30, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #21 of 52
Bizarre there isn’t more interest here for the 13V2. It’s been out for two years, and most reviewers have it in their top 3 in the (crowded) $1k price-point... usually neck and neck with the Andromeda. You’d think there’d be some 80 page thread on it by now. But only 15 posts? Weird. Very, very weird...

I think Head-Fi members are mostly about the newest shiny new offerings. Anything as old as the JH13 or JH13v2 is just not the current fad for most members. Look how people upgrade to the newest model all the time.

Sep 30, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #22 of 52
I think Head-Fi members are mostly about the newest shiny new offerings. Anything as old as the JH13 or JH13v2 is just not the current fad for most members. Look how people upgrade to the newest model all the time.
I dunno. The V2 is only two years old, not to mention the new 4-pin cable design that just dropped a few weeks ago. So we’re not exactly talking about the SE846 here. The Andromeda has been out literally twice as long as the V2. Believe me, I get the “latest and greatest” bias among heads... I’m guilty of it myself sometimes. But I don’t think that’s it. People just sleep on the V2, for whatever reason. Hey, it doesn’t bother me. The lack of hype means I was able to pick up a brand new sealed pair from an authorized dealer for around $700...

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #23 of 52
I dunno. The V2 is only two years old, not to mention the new 4-pin cable design that just dropped a few weeks ago. So we’re not exactly talking about the SE846 here. The Andromeda has been out literally twice as long as the V2. Believe me, I get the “latest and greatest” bias among heads... I’m guilty of it myself sometimes. But I don’t think that’s it. People just sleep on the V2, for whatever reason. Hey, it doesn’t bother me. The lack of hype means I was able to pick up a brand new sealed pair from an authorized dealer for around $700...

Exactly! Prices are up because people pay them. They drop if people do not.

Sep 30, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 52
Well, more V2s for us, lol

Deciding on 13v2, 16v2 and Lola. Already have Empire Ears Legend X, 64 Audio A12t and Angie II. So two of them are V2s. I have heard all three. Just determining which complements Legend X and A12t best. Might sell Angie.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #26 of 52

I bought mine from e-earphone. Cool store! Would definately recommend if you're on a budget to check out their secondhand floor.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #27 of 52
Deciding on 13v2, 16v2 and Lola. Already have Empire Ears Legend X, 64 Audio A12t and Angie II. So two of them are V2s. I have heard all three. Just determining which complements Legend X and A12t best. Might sell Angie.
I actually haven’t listened to the 16v2 or the Lola... I’m more of a full-size can guy, but like to have some decent IEM’s for when I’m working outside the office, like at a cafe or whatever. My decision was based primarily on reviews I’d read.

I’m very happy with the 13v2s... I bought them recently, during a full-on spree of IEM purchases, trying to find something perfect. I went through the Andromeda (too shouty) the Atlas (too bassy, not the best mids) and the ie500 (very recessed mids) before on a whim, I picked up a pair of JHA Billie Jeans from Amazon... Fantastic little IEM, which inspired me to go bigger with JH, which led me to the above-mentioned reviews, and led me to the 13v2.

A lot of IEMs in a short time, but I’m glad I found them... I’ve owned quite a few high-ish end IEMs, and the 13v2s are the best I’ve listened to... Very, very smooth and liquidy, and I like how you can tune the bass so it’s just right (although as you know, all the nicer JH offerings do that). With my full-size cans, I lean toward the same sort of tone... My go is the Focal Clear.

Oh, and if anybody wants to buy a pair of barely-used Atlas cheap, HMU.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #28 of 52

Lola sounds more natural to me and the winner. 16v2 personally is better than 13v2 due to more clarity and soundstage.

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #29 of 52
Lola sounds more natural to me and the winner. 16v2 personally is better than 13v2 due to more clarity and soundstage.

When I had those three with Roxanne on loan, I liked Lola the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back