JH Audio & Astell&Kern Siren Series Full Metal Jacket Line Announced!
Dec 21, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #122 of 692
I think in terms of size and fit it's a pretty nice improvement. If you look carefully, the shape is much better now.

And regarding this updated series, Rosie will get the biggest attention IMO. The price is just on the spot.

I have Angie's, but I'm really curious about Rosie.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #123 of 692
I just wish they retain some of the look for the new Layla.  The new look is really too plain for their flagship.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #126 of 692
I just need to know when and where I can get my hands on the new cable. My old one just broke, the build quality at the connector end isn't very good. I treat my rox like a baby yet the cable still gave up on me after a year. Back to my old TF10

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #127 of 692
  I just need to know when and where I can get my hands on the new cable. My old one just broke, the build quality at the connector end isn't very good. I treat my rox like a baby yet the cable still gave up on me after a year. Back to my old TF10

Go directly to Moon-Audio.com, do not pass Go, and do not collect $200 pass Go.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #129 of 692
Long time "lurker", just gonna chip in my two cents...It's sad to see JH Audio and the general audiophile industry go in this direction. It probably sucks for new Sirens series owners to know that their product has been updated. But is it any less of a product? Did it suddenly sound worse after the update was announced? And think about it for a second, it's really just a cosmetic update. (except Roxanne) I know there were complaints about the Angie's weave or connector issues, and this reduces them. Give everyone an identical product. From a business standpoint, they want to move product. They can't do that if they're getting returns on cosmetic issues or connector issues etc. By switching to metal for the entire body, every customer is getting a product that looks just like the one that came off the line before it. Not one with a "good weave" and one with an "ugly weave". Plus their manufacturing output increases by relying on less people. The bores are already milled in the product, there's no "hand laying of fiber", and  probably the balanced armatures can be seated in predetermined sections. All they're basically doing (I think) is pulling the milled bodies out of the CNC machine, placing the electronics in a predetermined cavity, putting the cap in the body, placing it in the packaging, and out the door it goes. Simplified manufacturing, and dedicating more staff to the Customs division.  

But about those prices, that sucks that it is an increase. Was there probably enough profit margin to not warrant a price increase? Maybe, but we'll never know. But again, from a business standpoint, if you're already paying $2,499, is an 8% increase too much additional to ask for? Because I can guarantee you, people will still buy it. You were already spending an ungodly amount of money, 8% isn't really that much. Unless I was rich, I just couldn't spend that much on a pair of in-ears, even if it is JH Audio we're talking about. I paid $1800 for my 2004 Hyundai Elantra. I AM the broke 20 year-old audiophile. I'm happy with my remolded UE900's. Unless JH Audio decides to send me a free pair of custom Angie's or Layla's then looks like I'll own the same pair of IEM's until I become well off. 

Finally, this should be a fun hobby, but as a community we need to learn when to say "no" to these companies, because sometimes it does get ridiculous (I'm looking at you Astell & Kern). But these are business we're dealing with and they may try every trick in the book to get you to buy something even if it is as little as a cosmetic change. Enjoy what you have. Yes, use your ears to audition, but use logic and your brain to think of value and worth.

-Steven M. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #131 of 692
The new metal line up is sexy. I'm tempted to pick up a Rosie to be friends with my Layla. I hope this means more people can experience more consistent build quality and sound quality.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #132 of 692
Does look like a moderate size difference with the updated Layla, not as thick in the middle. Also I really like that new stock cable from Moon Audio, the clear covering around the the guide wires over the ears is a much welcomed improvement from the black covering JHA used that cracks and splits. Not to mention the straight plug is a great addition as well. 

Clearly not worth a purchase as I already own Layla, even though I would like a slimmer housing, but I will be getting one of those cables. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #133 of 692
You guys have to remember that the original Layla's are all slightly different shapes.

Mine is better looking and smaller, more similar to the Metal Jacket shape than the one in the picture.

I've had 3 different Layla's and JH got better and better at building them. Mine looks virtually perfect now and beautifully crafted.

I would never trade it for the metal jacket one. The carbon fiber weaving + burnt titanium bezel is just stunning in person when built correctly.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #134 of 692
You guys have to remember that the original Layla's are all slightly different shapes.

Mine is better looking and smaller, more similar to the Metal Jacket shape than the one in the picture.

I've had 3 different Layla's and JH got better and better at building them. Mine looks virtually perfect now and beautifully crafted.

I would never trade it for the metal jacket one. The carbon fiber weaving + burnt titanium bezel is just stunning in person when built correctly.

Can we see pictures of yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back