JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 25, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #2,251 of 3,122
  Mojo is the King.

Just be careful that Mojo only have 3.5mm out.

Its all good! I don't plan on using a 2.5mm balanced cable anyway. Yeah, everyone seems to be a fan of the Chord Mojo. What a shame though, there are all these cool gadgets on my wish list yet i've so little money to spend ;-;

May 25, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #2,252 of 3,122
Again, not an issue with sound quality on the Mojo. Balanced can overcome issues with many regular DAC/amp implementations like substrate noise from a conventional DAC, but balanced output doesn't default to better sound over a very good single ended piece of gear. That said, on the AK240 I much prefer the balanced output, but that's only because it's own SE output is not as good. I still like the Mojo better than AK240 balanced. Measurements back up what I hear. Of course not everyone will like the sound, but then a lot of people do. For me I've never heard the Angie sound better.

I just remind him so he won't purchase a 2.5mm upgrade cable by mistake

May 25, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #2,253 of 3,122
May 25, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,254 of 3,122

I have the answer of Beat Audio.

Regarding them it is not possible to control bass tuner with 2 pin connectors.
4 pin connectors are required to support that functionality.

They told me they are able to reshell Angies without changing original connectors.
After several mails, I have to say it is the only company (Unique Melody com) I have found that do that.

Here you have the information. They said 2 months and 299$.
http://unique-melody.com/products/re-shell-only?taxon_id=21

If anybody knows other companies that are able to do that with Angie, please let me know!
Thanks!

May 25, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #2,255 of 3,122

They told me they are able to reshell Angies without changing original connectors.
After several mails, I have to say it is the only company (Unique Melody com) I have found that do that.

If anybody knows other companies that are able to do that with Angie, please let me know!
Thanks!

try AAW, the company based in singapore.
http://www.acousticwerkes.com/reshell--mod.html

May 25, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,257 of 3,122

Thanks!

I was talking to my country's Inearz dealer the other day and they said they can do 4 pin connector reshell. I saw the pics and it's looking good and i'm really tempting to go for it!

Here's the link: http://www.inearz.com/remolding2/

May 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,259 of 3,122
Which AK you've tried?

100ii, 120ii, 240. They all sound fantastic, but I definitely prefer the onkyo.

Neutrality and detail retrieval being the basis of my opinion. The dp x1 is superb with both. This dap really gets out of the way and let's the Angie's do their business.

May 25, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,260 of 3,122
100ii, 120ii, 240. They all sound fantastic, but I definitely prefer the onkyo.

Neutrality and detail retrieval being the basis of my opinion. The dp x1 is superb with both. This dap really gets out of the way and let's the Angie's do their business.

... But owners say that fails with Tidal ... :frowning2:
I am still searching a portable and reliable option to my Angies compatible with Tidal, without hiss and with tidal local storage support. Maybe the next Ibasso? Maybe a new generation usb stick integrating DAC and amp?

I dream all nights with an universal Audeze cipher cable :wink:

May 25, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,262 of 3,122
... But owners say that fails with Tidal ... :frowning2:
I am still searching a portable and reliable option to my Angies compatible with Tidal, without hiss and with tidal local storage support. Maybe the next Ibasso? Maybe a new generation usb stick integrating DAC and amp?

I dream all nights with an universal Audeze cipher cable :wink:

I think the issue have something to do with IEM's sensitivity.

My angies never have hiss in Tidal with my Onkyo, however the offline playback clipping is presence sometimes.

May 26, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #2,264 of 3,122
Got a couple little Schiits in the mail today.  Went with the Modi 2 Uber due to the standalone power supply, and the Magni 2, since my Duet takes care of stereo out to my speakers.  Was using Fulla previously.  

The Schiit stack, to my ears, does make listening more pleasurable... the noise floor of dirty USB electricity I got on Fulla is gone.  At listening levels, Angie is now dead silent when it's meant to be.  I haven't actually tried cranking the volume up beyond listening levels because, uh... it's beyond listening levels, so who cares.  Sound stage/stereo imaging feels better, though I can't put a finger on one thing I hear more clearly, per se.  Similarly, I don't necessarily hear THD or IMD exactly, but I can say that the volume level that feels "too loud" on the Fulla is noticeably lower than the "too loud" threshold on the stack.  

Overall, the general experience is more immersive to me, though it's not as clear a difference as the Fulla vs the slightly darker, slightly muddier iPhone 6S Plus, or the significantly darker, bass heavy Apogee Duet.  I think the relative darkness issues come down to impedance matching... I tried the Accudio app on the iPhone which did brighten Angie and give it some more clarity, but it also wound up making the highs sound a bit shrill in my limited listening (ALAC Dark Side of The Moon), which they never do otherwise.  I could tell right away that the un-EQed Schiit Stack version (streaming HiFi from Tidal) was more to my taste.  

So far I've only listened to the stack for like 6 hours, but if I notice anything else, I'll post it.  This is my first foray into HiFi consumer audio stuff, so I'm enjoying the experience of trying the new stuff and seeing what everyone's talking about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back