JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,122

x RELIC x

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone. I've recently aquired a pair of this little 'Siren' and see there isn't a dedicated impressions thread for the youngest sister in the JH Audio Siren series. Hopefully this is a place where owners can chime in with their experience and impressions of this solid IEM without the thread being tied to the Layla.

I'll start by saying that this is one of my favourite purchases in quite a while. To be honest I haven't purchased an IEM before because of small ear canals (but large ears) and have stuck to over the ear headphones. My climb up the Head Fi ladder has led me to the Audeze LCD-XC as my favourite headphone to date.

Well, I have a new favourite but it isn't a headphone. It's the JH Audio Angie Universal IEM.

The Angie has eight balanced armature drivers with 2 bass, 2 mid, and 4 treble drivers in a Kevlar and carbon fibre enclosure. The size is rather large but I have no issues with them in my ears. Of course YMMV.

From the moment I put them in my ears I was quite surprised that they could sound like a full sized headphone. The clarity and imaging is what really surprised me. The soundstage is larger than I would have imagined and the balance between frequencies is amazing. One word I keep using while describing this earphone is cohesive. I'm hearing a very natural cohesion, not separate bass, mid, treble, but with what appears to be frequencies between the frequencies. Just amazing layers of sound. Everything simply plays well together and sounds extremely natural to my ears.

One of the reasons I purchased this IEM is for the adjustable bass control. I prefer the bass setting around 2 o'clock on the Angie which I feel gives a very balanced presentation. The bass is well controlled and extends quite low and not bloated. Test tones down to 20 Hz are heard easily, and the bass doesn't bleed in to the mids.

Mids are clear and, to my ears, flat as advertised. They have a speed and detail about them that I find very pleasant and one of the characteristics I feel contributes to the natural sound.

The highs are very, very well extended. They have an air about them that reveals fine detail and timbre to instruments that I've not heard as clearly before.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase and simply amazed they can keep up with (better than?) my full size LCD-XC. For half the price of the other new Siren, the Layla, I can see a lot of people enjoying these.

Let's hear what other owners have to say! :)

May 8, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 3,122
Hi proedros, have you had the chance to hear the Angie yet? If so please share, if not hopefully more owners will jump in and share their impressions.

Edit: What happened to proedros's post? I swear I wasn't talking to myself! Lol!

May 8, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 3,122
A few more notes. The Angie are fairly sensitive and they hiss quite a bit from the regular FiiO e12 which doesn't surprise me as the e12 is a very powerful portable amp.

From the FiiO X5 they are silent. I also recently had the Cayin N6 DAP in for review on the North American tour from CTC Audio and I really enjoyed that combination. The soundstage was amazing with the N6 pairing and it had a more organic feel to the sound. As with the X5 I hear no hiss from the N6.

What does surprise me is that I hear very little hiss (negligible) from the Oppo HA-1 desktop amp, which is much more powerful than the e12. I also really enjoy the sound from the HA-1 to the Angie. Extremely detailed and engaging.

I would say that Angie is quite revealing to the source.

May 9, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 3,122
To help gather the information about Angie in one place I'm linking some previous reviews / impressions here as well.

Review by xaddictionx

http://www.head-fi.org/products/astell-kern-jh-audio-special-edition-angie-headphones-red-2ep008-cmrd68/reviews/12838

Impressions / review from LondonTone.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756939/angie-jh-audio-sirens-series-a-review-about-the-music-not-the-head-fi-with-pictures#post_11368106

May 9, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 3,122
Bass between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock seems to be the general consensus. Seems like the best balance overall.

What are your thoughts with the bass dialed all the way up?

May 9, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 3,122
Thanks for starting the thread.  I was thinking about starting one for the last week, but  I'm glad you did it.
Subbed.
K

You have the Shure SE846 as well right? Be great to hear some comparisons, and welcome aboard!

May 9, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 3,122
I am not a basshead )) My view is that good bass should not be noticed). I found settings above 2 o'clock being excessive to my personal taste.

Oh, I agree. However I was surprised to find that the bass didn't really get loose until after 4 o'clock. It just overwhelmed the rest of the frequencies when set higher than 2 but is still detailed and impactful IMO. Between 4 and 5 (max setting) it seems a bit wooly to me. As always YMMV. :wink:

May 9, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 3,122
I don't own them so take with a grain but I like the bass closer to 12. Oh, and these are the best IEM I've auditioned. They're K10, jh13, uerm type of acurate with the variability to mimic those individual bass amounts. Scales to source, delineation and solidity of image and lots of detail. Not much to complain about, at least sonically. I'm not switching from my JH13s because they're VG, I like their tonality and I know how to use them to achieve that balance but if I were buying new, these would be on a very short list for serious audition.. 

May 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 3,122
I auditioned the Noble 6, Shure SE846, Westone W60 and ended up buying the Angie and I'm very glad I did. I kept my comparisons in the same price range (here in Canada anyway). I ended up paying $967 US after the dollar conversion for mine so I got a deal in my opinion.

To read from you that they compete with higher priced and well regarded gear (also read your comments in the other threads) says something about the Angie. The little sister can play!!

May 9, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 3,122
I auditioned the Noble 6, Shure SE846, Westone W60 and ended up buying the Angie and I'm very glad I did. I kept my comparisons in the same price range (here in Canada anyway). I ended up paying $967 US after the dollar conversion for mine so I got a deal in my opinion.

To read from you that they compete with higher priced and well regarded gear (also read your comments in the other threads) says something about the Angie. The little sister can play!!

Nice! Where did you buy them in Canada? They might be my next purchase to compliment the W60.

May 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 3,122
That's what I thought as well. Stopped by to pick up the Angie and tried the el-8 at the same time. They have a lot of gear on display to demo as well.

I got mine from some place called 'Headphones Canada.'   Have no idea where it is but they were about $70.00 cheaper, one of those 'we'll pay for the tax' deals.  But that was April.

May 11, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 3,122
I almost jumped on that same deal from them, but they sold out before I hit the buy button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back