JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,321 of 3,122

The original cable (left) is more thicker compare to black dragon v2 (right)

*edited

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #1,323 of 3,122
  Wow, way to go big 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'm betting on the Angie, but do let us know how it goes

So I tested out the universal Angie and Layla using my iPhone 5 / MBP and TIDAL. Here's the quick and dirty: To my untrained ear I couldn't tell much of a difference between Angie and Layla. There were definitely differences, but more so in character than technical prowess. However, I listened to the Angie a lot more because they just felt way more comfortable in my ears. So perhaps fit played a role in my assessment. Regardless, there wasn't a mind-blowing enough difference for me to justify paying twice the price. If you have more hi-fi experience then I definitely recommend making your own assessment.

These IEMs were so unbelievably clear it was almost weird for me at first being used to the blended sound of my cheaper headphones. The sound was very three dimensional, I could almost "point" to where a certain cymbal on a drum kit was being hit. The soundstage may not have been as large as my current open-back cans (Audio Technica ATH-AD700) on some tracks, but on the AT's the sound almost seemed like it was at a fixed distance from me where as on the Angie there was more depth information being presented, just maybe the maximum distance wasn't as far.

The verdict: I returned the universals and ordered custom Angies! The amazingness of these IEMs got me excited and inspired me to go all out: I now own a Chord Mojo and acquired some great content from NativeDSD and HDtracks. Too bad I didn't have these in time when I was demoing the Angie and Layla. I'll write a more detailed review once I get the customs.

P.S. Does anyone know if JH Audio updates your order status when they start building your customs or does it go straight from "impressions received / order processed" to "shipping?"

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,324 of 3,122
I'm just about at my wits end with Angie. I just received my Rma replacements from bhphoto and the new set just started cutting out again on the left side. I've litterally had them for about 5 hours. Not to mention the finish on the left side at the headphone connecter is less than stellar on this pair. I first thought it was cracked when i opened the box but the resin just isn't perfectly straight and dips down a little exposing more of the black connecter. It's just such a shame because the sound is just so sublime. I just don't know if I should cut my losses and return them or try one last exchange. I know exchanging them for anything else like the shure 846 or w60 would be a downgrade and I wouldn't be happy.

Interesting, I noticed when I tested the universal Angies myself the left piece had some sort of resonance if I tapped on it. When I tapped on right ear piece in my ear it was solid, no sound. But when I tapped on left ear piece I almost got a tuning fork effect. Felt more hollow.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #1,325 of 3,122
Interesting, I noticed when I tested the universal Angies myself the left piece had some sort of resonance if I tapped on it. When I tapped on right ear piece in my ear it was solid, no sound. But when I tapped on left ear piece I almost got a tuning fork effect. Felt more hollow.

There is definitely some flawed design with these iems. I ended up getting a refund as they were sold out of them. I'm fine with that. I think everyone will eventually have problems with them at the cable connecter or the cable itself.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #1,327 of 3,122

deadhorse.gif

Everyone?  Your glass is definitely half-empty.

Not me - but then I have yet to catch them on anything while speed-walking 
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,328 of 3,122
They stick out THAT far?  
wink_face.gif

I had a few issues with cut-out on the right one, played with the connector and cable (balanced only, se was fine) and it's been perfect for months.

Just ordered a Moon Black Dragon, we'll see how that fits.  

As for "everyone," there are lots of JH iems out there working fine.  Sweeping generalizations tend to be just that.  

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,329 of 3,122

As for "everyone," there are lots of JH iems out there working fine.  Sweeping generalizations tend to be just that.  

C'mon, let's not pretend that there's not a long history of issues with JH products. JH-3A anyone? Roxanne thread has a lot of examples too. They seem to have had consistent QC or build issues. I'd expect that this is a possibility with any of their products, especially the most recently released ones, and would hope that they'd make it right when issues occur.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,335 of 3,122
How about a majority will eventually have issues :). I'm really not trying to hate on the Angie's. They are by far the best sounding iem that I've heard. I would still have them if the two pairs I had weren't defective. As soon as you start getting a little play at the connecter where it can shift side to side or start to move up and down, the audio will eventually start cutting out with any sort of movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back