JH-5 vs 1964-T for first time custom IEM Buyer [POLL]
Oct 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ahmoproducer

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I have been combing these forums for months now reading reviews on various custom IEM's. I believe I have decided on either the JH-5 or the 1964-T. I need some help now on which one to choose. I cant make up my mind and I need some help from the experts!

Let me give a little background. I play the acoustic guitar at church, from time to time I also play the bass and drums. Up to this point I have been using Shure e2c universals. When I am not at church I also use my universals to listen to music at work. I am not wanting to spend over $400 so between these two which do you believe would be the best fit?

Any and all comments/thoughts are very much appreciated!

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 7
JH audio has amazing customs and customer service, they never disappoint. 1964 ears is a rising star on head-fi and their prices will only go higher and higher as they gain reputation. 

I recommend you buy the 1964 Trips, They will offer a bit more bass while remaining as neutral as the JH5.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 7
The JH5Pro are highely recommended because they improve more when AMPed.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
JH audio has amazing customs and customer service, they never disappoint. 1964 ears is a rising star on head-fi and their prices will only go higher and higher as they gain reputation. 

I recommend you buy the 1964 Trips, They will offer a bit more bass while remaining as neutral as the JH5.

I don't own either, but that is not the conclusion I came to from talking to people I know that own the T and JH5 (not the same person).  More like the T has more bass and the JH5 more treble with a better balance.  But then, others could probably answer better.  However I started listening to the DRM Earz aud-5X which is a 5 driver 4-way for $565 and they are very impressive, so if you have the extra money that may be worth the extra cash.  I should have my review done between 2 to 4 weeks from now.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 7
OP: try to audition a pair of Westone UM2, you might find them sufficient for your purposes. Shure's black foam tips will fit on the UM2, so you can expect the same level of comfort and isolation as your E2c, with (IMO) better sound. They're well under US$ 400, and even cheaper if you're willing to buy 2nd-hand.

In contrast, the JH5 is $399 excluding ear impressions--you'll have to get those yourself. Also, if you're outside the USA, expect an additional US$75 shipping charge.

Quote:

I like the guys at JH, but I have to contest the statements in bold. 

1. Customer service--there have been complaints about their customer service, although whether these were justified is open to debate. I don't believe they're bad or lazy folk, but let's just bear in mind that they are a small team with many, many orders pouring in, and it's just plain hard to keep up consistent customer correspondence under those circumstances.

2. JH5 demos aren't neutral. They're warm. By all accounts, demo units appear to have less bass than full customs (across multiple brands), so it would stand to reason that full custom JH5 are even less neutral than the demo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back