JH 16 and UE 18, sound loss from wear and tear?
May 13, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #16 of 20
as long as you dont stuff them in your pocket, they will last for years. use the case they give you or something similar and they will last very well indeed. my JH13 sound the same, or perhaps better than when I got them last year and my other IEMs are the same. except for my SE530 which the cable, although still working, is pretty close to failure even after I made a new extension for them. but the shures are renowned for this problem, so dont take that as the norm. stuffing your customs in your pocket all the time will kill the cable and the connection, junction where it connects to the IEM.

but jebus man, I thought I had an attitude hehe. your preemptive judgement of JH and what they might say IE. lie, is a bit harsh as I have found jerry to be very forthcoming and realistic with his statements. you may need to get a refit after a few years though

oh and the reason you see people cranking ipod buds is not just because they suck, its because they have almost literally zero isolation, so even when they are loud and loud in your ears, you dont hear it loud, because there is so much bleed from the outside world. so this is what is dangerous about them IMO, because they crank them to get decent listening levels, but the sound is much louder in their ears than they think because of the leakage.

must be hard to get a hold of you with headphones in 15 hours a day?? how do you function? I probably use mine about 5 hours a day on average and the rest of time in my workshop I use my powered monitor speakers

May 13, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #17 of 20
Very nice and good to hear that if I don't physically abuse the earphones, they'll last a while.

This is the problem with my iPot earphones, holy christ do I throw, jerk, bounce them around. No wonder I can't hear any sound from those things. I think all that abuse definitely contributed to the sound quality loss.

Sorry about my attitude, is that I'm normally a cheapo, low prices are always a priority. But here 1k dollars is not what I normally pay for ear phones. All I want is to simply get the truth out of JH Audio, I don't want any vague or misleading replies. Because I don't mind paying a lot of money for super good quality items. Yeah, before I buy these I just want to make sure that I have control over their durability.

Yeah, 15 hours because I live with my grandma and she doesn't want my speakers making sound all over the place.

Quote:
Ears or years?

I messed up, it's years.

May 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
How does your grandma feel about all the azz banging that must happen around her house?

Dude, you made my day with that one.
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #20 of 20
Just found this thread. I've experienced the same problem, that my earphones aren't as loud as they used to be. I've had this happen twice now. While it is true that my hearing isn't as good as it used to be (I'm early 50's (age, late 50's born)) that can't be the culprit, because buying a new pair makes the problem go away. In my case, I only started using them fairly regularly on my train commute over the past 4 months or so, about 45 minutes each way, so that might be considered fairly moderate use. But since the train is loud I've had to crank the volume to hear over the external ambiance.

The first pair to go was one I'd paid about $40 for (can't remember the brand). The first pair just snapped off the wire, the second was better but then I had the low sound issue about a year and a half ago and used cheap ear buds the few times I used anything while I tried to justify wasting the higher amount again. I picked up a V-Moda for about $40 at Costco over the summer, and it was OK until a couple of weeks ago when it just got quieter. I tried the earphones that came with my BlackBerry this morning, and even though they let much more of the outside sound in, I could turn the volume down to 3/4 and still hear everything so much better than full volume sounded last night with the old pair.

True, I don't treat them especially well: I wind them around the iPod and then stick them in a side pocket of my backpack. But I don't think it's a broken wire that's the issue, becuase both plugs (meaning, left and right on the older one) work, but both seem about equally bad. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what's really going on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back