JH-13 vs ACS T1 - Looking for Information
Nov 12, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you wanted to get an upgraded cable (there's one available for $150 for the JH13 that uses improved connectors and better quality wire)

Can you tell me more about these upgraded cables? what will they do to the sound?

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVDweeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another large factor that went in to this decision was location. If I chose the T1's, it would take me a month to get the phones, vs next week. When you factor in potential re-fits, it would just be a shame if it took longer then six weeks to get up and running.

Andy took my impressions here in Chicago while he was visiting one of his friends. He went back to England after 2 days or so. I was listening to my IEMs one week after I met him... It depends on how busy he is and how quickly you want your iems I guess. I saved a lot of time (and money or course) by not going to audiologist and not sending any ear impressions to GB, but Andy is a great person to deal with and I am sure he can do something if you mention you need your IEMs sooner. I only saw custom Sensas, Ultimate Ears and ACS T2s before, so no experience with JH13s, however I would rate the build quality of ACS IEMs higher than the other two, just something to keep in mind. And the comfort of soft silicone is great.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #18 of 32
That's right mate - you really can't lose. It's expensive but you open up a new relationship with your music and get more than you bargained for in the process.

I just look forward to the industry following the trend in high tech until eventually this level of quality is cheap as chips.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #19 of 32
Artears, I'd second that. I had mine done in London but they were doing a mass ear plug installation for an offshore wind turbine company, so it took a couple of weeks.

The wait is worth it though.

One thing - the neutrik connector is a lethal weapon. I reckon I'm gonna get it swapped out.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice summary. Will love to read your review.

And a big thank you to you for all your helpful advice mate!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by royhendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing - the neutrik connector is a lethal weapon. I reckon I'm gonna get it swapped out.

your is terminate with neutrik?

Quote:

And a big thank you to you for all your helpful advice mate!
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome.

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Artears, I'd second that. I had mine done in London but they were doing a mass ear plug installation for an offshore wind turbine company, so it took a couple of weeks.

It is definitely worth the wait (although I did not wait for too long
tongue.gif
).

I asked Andy about the plug, he recommended the regular plug that they are using due to it is being lighter and having a nice quality to it. So, I opted for the regular one in a right-angled configuration.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

My understanding at this point:

ACS T1 > UE 11
JH-13 > UE 11

Thanks,
Russ

You cant say that. In this level what is better for one person may not be better for another. It is all subjective to what sound you are looking for. I have tried many different customs from a few manufacters and feel I like the Ultimate ears over the westone signature ie I liked my ue-5c over the westone es2. I have yet to hear the JH13 but I love the sound of my ue-11 pro and love the hard hitting base and crystal highs. I am planning on picking up the jh13 as soon as I get a chance.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #24 of 32
Yeah, the neutrik connector has already done some damage to my iPhone so I'm going for the lighter weight one next week. Back to my remoulded Freq for a few days, but it's worth it, being so close to ideal at the moment. That's the only thing I would change.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheel1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You cant say that. In this level what is better for one person may not be better for another. It is all subjective to what sound you are looking for. I have tried many different customs from a few manufacters and feel I like the Ultimate ears over the westone signature ie I liked my ue-5c over the westone es2. I have yet to hear the JH13 but I love the sound of my ue-11 pro and love the hard hitting base and crystal highs. I am planning on picking up the jh13 as soon as I get a chance.

It appears that you missed the intent of my message. I wasn't declaring that from my listening I've definitively declared that statement. In fact, I don't currently own any of these headphones. The statement I made was based upon the comparisons I've read, and cited, in the body of the same message you failed to quote properly.

Try again.
popcorn.gif

Quote:

This is really the realization that I've come to from the reading I've done. My only concern, is that I haven't found anyone that can compare the two optimal drivers.

My understanding at this point:

ACS T1 > UE 11
JH-13 > UE 11

But, I'm not quite sure how the JH-13 and ACS T1 compare.

References on ACS T1 vs UE 11:
ACS T1

Jaben's website appears to be down, here's Google's cache:
ACS T1

Thanks,
Russ

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Tarheel - he said it was 'his understanding'. Surely you should read everything that follows as subjective, no?

Yes everything should be taken as subjective. But he did make a blanketed statement that one is better than the other. As I stated the sound signatures are different but one is not better than the other just different and different people would like one over the other. Its like saying a BMW is better than a Mercedes or a yzfr1 is better than a ducati. The atcs might be suited more for his tastes in music but that does not make one better than the other just different.

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #28 of 32
So. You may call me crazy, but I will be the proud owner of both the JH-13's and the ACS T1's in the near future. My JH-13's should be arriving next week, and I'll have the T1's within the next month. I look forward to giving the community a formal comparisson on the differences, hopefully shedding some light on this subject.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #30 of 32
As always, what follows is very subjective....
One year ago I ordered the T1s after exhausting everything I could read about ACS. They had to go back for a couple of re-fits due to poorly made impressions....customer service was exemplary.

I have to be honest......I really didn't like the sound. I found that a particular mid range frequency sounded exceptionally harsh. I suffer from mild tinitus (too many years playing jazz trumpet next to loud PAs) and the very pronounced mids were actually painful to listen too for all but the smoothest acoustic music. For example the vocals and guitars listening to bands such as Muse and Kings of Leon were soooo pronounced it spoiled the whole listening experience. In all other respects they sounded great (beautiful seperation, deep bass). Anyway, I soldiered on with them (£649 is a hell of a price to pay for something you don't get on with), persuading myself that I would get used to them.

A couple of months ago, the right channel stopped working so I sent them back to ACS. I spoke with Matt (from the technical side of the company rather than customer service) and told him about the harshness I had experienced. His response was unequivocal ......have them remade as T2s!! To be exact, have them remade with the Knowles build (ACS use two driver manufacturers for T2s, Knowles and Sonyon.) He assured me that I would be much happier with the sound sig of the T2s given my particular experience with T1s.

The T1s (as others have eluded to) are primarily for stage monitoring and as such really bring out the frequencies that are required for this purpose. I now have the T2s and I have to say they sound much lusher and creamier than the T1s ever did. They still have the same separation as the T1s but the bass is more pronounced and the mids more recessed (still very defined however)....exactly what my ears had been craving. They are so much better for rock, classical and Jazz (IMO).....the only place they miss out is the absolute clarity on acoustic vocals that the T1s managed very well (You really could hear the singer's every nuance.....(lip licking etc)). I have to stress though that this was only pleasant to listen to on the most stripped back acoustic performances.......anything more complex (add in an electric guitar or 2, maybe some mid range piano) and it became jarring to listen to at anything other than low volumes. I felt I was missing out on everything else that was going on as I couldn't get past those damn mids!

It was an expensive way to find out that, for me anyway, the cheaper product is way more suited to my ears. Of course they didn't refund the difference...not that I expected them to!

BTW.....I'm going to post this as a seperate posting as I think others may benefit from this experience. I would hate people to spend more than they need to! Aplogies in advance for the duel posting :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back