Jewel Cases or CD Wallet?
Mar 7, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #31 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
Sounds impressive. I did a quick google search and came up with this. A bit pricey up-front, but could really be worth while in the long-run, especially if you are often on the move and can't part with CD booklets and artwork.

http://www.mmdesign.com/dj-cases.htm

biggrin.gif

Those look pretty nice -- don't have the money for it though...

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
This is perfect, great find gloco! I'm going to be ordering a couple of those 50-pack 3-ring binder 8CD pages myself... just need to find a suitable 3 ring binder now.

BTW, i've ordered blanks from RIMA.com before and it was a smooth and pleasant transaction. i forgot about that place... it's pretty decent for all sorts of media needs.

Make sure to get a really big D ring binder. They hold the pages better and should keep the pressure from causing problems with the CDs. Look for at least a 4" D ring binder. You should be able to find one at Staples, Office Depot, or others in your area.

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
A friend of mine DJ's part time and keeps his 3000+ CD collection filed in special sleeves, with dividers , in 2 or 3 large aluminum flight cases made especially for this purpose. I don't know who makes the cases ( will ask ) but I imagine most DJ supply retailers would carry them. Takes up little space, makes it easy to thumb through the collection, and everything is mobile.

I still use jewel cases.

What kind of DJ uses CD's?
shocked2.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
shocked2.gif

You would be surprised. Check out the Pioneer CDJ series of 'scratchable' CD players. I think Denon also make something similar. From what I have seen/read, there is not much vinyl can do that a CD can't (DJs, please corect me if I am wrong!)
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #35 of 61
wink.gif

I knew about Pioneer CDJ.. But then again, DJ's don't actually use these
in a club unless they want to just throw in samples in a set or something.
Even then, there is sometimes a 3rd TT for that purpose. I have yet to
see a DJ do a real set in a club using only a Pioneer CDJ or something
like it..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
what about ultra thin jewel cases?

Well, the 'ultra thin' jewel cases take up about half the space of a regular jewel case. But there are compromises being made to accomodate such a thin form factor. The ultra thin jewel case cannot accomodate the back cover of the regular jewel case. But more damningly, the ultra thin jewel cases proved much more difficult to open intentionally than regular jewel cases.

Mar 7, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
wink.gif

I knew about Pioneer CDJ.. But then again, DJ's don't actually use these
in a club unless they want to just throw in samples in a set or something.
Even then, there is sometimes a 3rd TT for that purpose. I have yet to
see a DJ do a real set in a club using only a Pioneer CDJ or something
like it..
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know of at least one Melbourne (Australia) DJ who uses CDs exclusively - his name is Phil K (I hope I am right about this!). From what I can recall, he was 'employed' by Pioneer to promote the CDJ units throught SE Asia after his skills were brought to their attention.
cool.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #40 of 61
Hey donovan...what is the brand of your case? I am looking for some way to store my disks in some sort of organized way. Also, has anyone made a list of their CDs on their computer so they can look up songs, artists, production date, time of song, etc? What program are you using? I was thinking of using Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, but not quite sure how to get it to alphabetize the artists yet. Any other programs that might be better/easier out there?

Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
Idealy I'd keep all my CDs in their original cases. But me and plastic jewel cases don't get along too well and I end up breaking a lot of them. Plus, the inner ring that holds the actual CD manages to break when I first remove the CD in a lot of jewel cases. And I have a metal jewel case for one of my rare CDs that might break the CD itself if I use it too much.

I am keeping my modest CD collection in a large Fellowes 200 CD case that has large enough pockets to fit standard CD jewel case front booklets too. So on the left of each page I have the actual CD and to the right of it the CD booklet. I really like this case as it seems very well made. The liner material is soft and the plastic sleeves don't stick to the label-side of the CDs at all. The whole thing feels quite durable. I will buy another one when my CD collections grows beyong 100 discs.

I am ripping my CDs onto my computer in MPC format for convenience, but for mobility I am transfering my CDs onto minidisc in LP2 mode. My minidisc recorder is my best sounding portable device and LP2 mode sounds quite good considering the low bitrate, and best of all allows me to pack 2 or 3 CDs onto a single minidisc. It's the best compromise between sound quality and physical space.

Mar 9, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #41 of 61
Though I'd really really really like to save the space, I can't bring myself to getting rid of the jewel boxes. I haven't seen any solution that protects the back card and the disc as well. Also, I need something where when you get a new CD in the beginning of the alphabet you don't have to shift over every single following CD over a slot.

My CDRs, however, now go in white window envelopes unless it's something that can't be replaced. Sometimes I write the info on the back, sometimes I print an insert to show through the window. Saves a lot of time and money (percentage-wize, not in real dollars) over using a jewel box and making a card so you can see the title on the spine.

Mar 9, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #42 of 61
I keep mine in the jewel case. I have even done major jewel case art work for home made cds. I do pack some copies around in unmarked slim line cases. Sometimes I will do some artwork for those to. I have a car in another town for use while I am there, I keep copies of cds in that car in slimline cases.

I do have a bunch of cd copies in a binder. Only because they are copies of friends cds and I don't use them often if ever.

Mar 9, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

A friend of mine DJ's part time and keeps his 3000+ CD collection filed in special sleeves, with dividers , in 2 or 3 large aluminum flight cases made especially for this purpose. I don't know who makes the cases ( will ask ) but I imagine most DJ supply retailers would carry them. Takes up little space, makes it easy to thumb through the collection, and everything is mobile.

I still use jewel cases.

Yeah, check this out, the sleeves are not very cheap. At least for me. since I have more than 800 CDs.

http://www.jewelsleeve.com/

But if you are planning to move, carrying those CDs really makes me headache.

I think sleeve is OK if you use it careful. You will not scratch your CDs.

Mar 9, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

LOL. He's the old fashioned, party and wedding type of DJ who simply plays songs for background and dancing. No scratching involved.

Actually, lately he's been using computers with MP3's on small gigs and they work great. He can automatically blend/crossfade songs in an instant on the computer and then walk away for periods of time. Before anyone freaks about the quality of MP3's, remember this is for drunken wedding revelers....not audiophiles. You'd be surprised how good an MP3 of The Chicken Dance can sound through a typical DJ sound system.

Quote:

I think sleeve is OK if you use it careful. You will not scratch your CDs.

I agree. The construction/materials/quality of the sleeves sold for flight case storage is much much better than a simple cheap plastic folder's sleeves. IMO, these $0.40 or $0.50 DJ sleeves protect the CDs better than jewel cases. Have you ever dropped a jewel case and watched the base, lid, and disc fly off in different directions? Or accidentially crushed a jewel case and had the hard plastic edge gouge into your disc?

Mar 9, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

IMO, these $0.40 or $0.50 DJ sleeves protect the CDs better than jewel cases. Have you ever dropped a jewel case and watched the base, lid, and disc fly off in different directions? Or accidentially crushed a jewel case and had the hard plastic edge gouge into your disc?

Those are the carefully engineered crumple zones to protect the the CD in the event of an impact. In fact, the jewel box testers accounts for a substantial portion of the Crash Test Dummies' CD sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back