Jethro Tull
May 6, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #16 of 24
Peter: Just a "yeah!" for "A".

I've been a Tull fan for ~25 years and have had a chance to see a varierty of their performances. One of the most memorable was during the A tour when Eddie Jobson did a solo with playing a clear electric violin with multicollored lasers shooting through! Totally cool!

The other amazing thing about Ian... one of the few rockers who a.) still has money; and b.) has REAL interests outside music.

Bruce

Sep 4, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 24
instead of starting a new tread i decided to resurect an old one.

over the last few months ive aquired a bunch of tull albums, pretty much from benefit to minstrel in the gallery. a few weeks ago i bought a copy of stormwatch on vinyl and REALLY liked it.

i have a question tho, it seems that on the back cover of my copy of stormwatch there is a figure wearing a toga or something. part of it is covered by the barcode, i bought the cd today in hopes that it wouldnt have the barcode, but the art on it is scanned from the original vinyl version, and photoshopped to make up for the the fact that the scan had the barcode in it. does anyone know what this figure is?

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #18 of 24
If they released "Aqualung" without "Locomotive Breath" "Crossed Eyed Mary" and the title track, Tull and "classic rock" haters would release just how delicate and beautiful that album really. A really nice album.

I used to listen to tons of Tull in college. Light up, listen to Tull and play bridge. Dad, this is how I spent my freshman year. Anyway, Song from the Woods is a beauty, followed by Thick as a Brick. Probably my favs. A Passion Play is certainly an interesting, complex work, but in the long run, it gives me a headache.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #19 of 24
Watch out! The hare has lost his spectacles.

Sep 4, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnActon
David,

Being a fellow progger, I urge you to check out Tull's "A Passion Play". It's not very accessible from a mainstream point-of-view, as it's simply one long, 45 minute song; and thematically and musically, it's pretty complex.

Nevertheless, given your tastes in music (Marillion, Ayreon, etc), I think you'd like it!

Passion Play was one of my favorite Tull albums growing up. I am going to have to find a copy in vinyl.

Sep 5, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #21 of 24
Well, virtually everything of note regarding the important recordings has been covered already. One more comment though, a sadly overlooked album thats also exceptional is:

Heavy Horses

Some wonderful writing and playing and even amongst Tull fans its usually left out of the discussion.

JC

Sep 15, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 24
i second 'heavy horses' as essential -
and i warn anyone not already deeply into tull against 'passion play'. the included children's musical/ballet is like a bad parody of prokofiev's 'peter and the wolf'. the narrator's mock-theatric voice makes me cringe and almost destroys this album for me.

Sep 16, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #24 of 24
Essential:

Aqualung
Thick As A Brick
Passion Play
Minstrel In The Gallery
Songs From The Woods
Heavy Horses
Stormwatch

Pretty damn good:

Warchild
Too Old To Rock and Roll, Too Young To Die
A
Bursting Out - Live Album
Broadsword And The Beast
Roots To Branches
jtull.com
Benefit

The only Tull album I loath is 'Rock Island'.
If you like the electronic direction of 'A', try 'Under Wraps'. It's the last album Ian did before he blew is voice out - It's never been the same since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back