Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick LP
Jul 26, 2002 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

west

New Head-Fier
I just got a copy of this LP and have noticed that the side labeled II is the beginning of the song (at least the beginning according to the lyrics). Is this supposed to be? Am I supposed to start listening in the middle of the song?

Jul 26, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 8
No way!!! THICK As A BRICK is a "concept" album and as such you should listen to the songs(parts) in the right order...It's one of the best Tull's albums if not *THE* best and you'll enjoy it fully if you watch the theme and the lyrics together with the music. Also, it's worth reading the story behind the album, it will give you even more insight into their music. Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Thick as a Brick is a fantastic album. Another album in a similar style (format wise; not musically) is Tull's subsequent album, A Passion Play. Also a great album.

Jul 27, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnActon
Thick as a Brick is a fantastic album. Another album in a similar style (format wise; not musically) is Tull's subsequent album, A Passion Play. Also a great album.

How is the sound quality?

Jul 27, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 8
Sound quality on both of these CDs is actually pretty good considering they were digitally mastered back in the late 80's or early 90's. Still, I'm waiting for Tull's catalog to be remastered (a couple of them have already been released).

I don't know how the LPs sound - it's been so long since I listened to any Tull on a turntable that I can't remember.

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnActon
...Another album in a similar style (format wise; not musically) is Tull's subsequent album, A Passion Play. Also a great album.

Fully agree
biggrin.gif
. Thats EXACTLY the reason I wrote about TAsAB *perhaps* their best album...but I think even musically thse two albumsy are close to each other - of course not *similar*...

I still listen sometimes to the LP's - some 30 years old, ah?- I ALWAYS kept them in best condition, but who knows, perhaps they degrade with time...
confused.gif
anyway, the sound is OK but not more than this - the strong point for Tull's music was allways the music itself and less the sound "quality"(IMHO at least). Besides, if I were to renew all my LP's collection I would go broke in no time...
evil_smiley.gif
, not to mention that I like the sound of vinyl(there are times the remasters sound better but there are also times they do a poor job and they sound even worse - does anybody have BOTH - LP and CD - and can tell if there is any difference and if yes - is it worthwhile(for these two albums I could make an exception)?

Jul 28, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 8
I HATED Thick as A Brick when it came out.The sound was soo different from Benefit and Aqualung that I could not get into it at all.
But after giving the album a second chance it kinda grew on me.Funny how some stuff I can not stand on first listen become favorites over time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back